• Register
  • Help

Topic: In love with SAM

Share/Bookmark

In love with SAM

I don\'t normally gush in public, but since I recently complained in public about another brass library, I\'m going to balance things by proclaiming my sincere adoration for what Maarten and gang have produced. I missed every sale EastWest has had in the last four months and ended up paying full price for SAM Bones and I\'m not sorry one ounce--or kilo, depending on where you\'re reading this.

The trombones sound absolutely great, as do the horns. The choice of articulations along with the programming are a shining example of how to make a sample library that people are going to simply enjoy using. And for all the arguments made on this forum that essentially \"dry\" sounds are the most ideal to start with, I can only say, thank you, Maarten, for recording with ambience. After hearing this stuff, there really isn\'t much of an argument anymore. If there is, well, then load up the close versions. The far patches (I\'m sure the close, too) sound great in Altiverb. And they blend nicely with other libraries--very important aspect.

You guys are to be highly commended for your musicality and technical skill and knowing what it is that many composers are looking for. One of the responses to my previous complaint was that European players just didn\'t play in the ballsy manner I was looking for and that it must be only an LA film-session player thing. Well, SAM just proves what a line of hooey that is.

Any chance you recorded the muted bones playing staccatos and will there be an update? Muted brass stabs come in really handy when doing action/horror/ suspense cues.

Looking forward to the trumpets. Keep up the fantastic work.

Re: In love with SAM

Thank you very much Bjean!
    We appreciate it! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

We don\'t have any horn material add-ons planned for the near future. Unfortunately, recording more articulations at a later time is not as simple as going back into the hall and perform them.

Best,

Maarten

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    I have one comment for the upcoming SAM Trumpets: PLEASE record muted versions of every single articulation you do un-muted! You might be saying \"well, it\'s too many hours of work and we can\'t justify doing it at the price we\'re planning.\" No problem.. make it an add-on and charge for that (e.g. regular version USD$139, regular + mutes USD$269). People WILL pay for it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] My one and only complaint about previous SAM libraries is a lack of muted articulations.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Not to hijack the thread away from Maarten\'s work, but just to fill in a little info: AO has some good harmon-muted trumpets and mutes on all brass, and Quantum Leap Brass has many mute variations. The 3 trumpets in cup mutes patch in QL Brass is excellent for your Dragnet/cop show sounding trumpets.

Mutes are a real dilemma for sample developers. To do them right, you must do a full mapping for every mute. Even within the same categories of mutes there are very different sounds. An all aluminum Tom Crown sounds different than a Brass or Copper end, and that\'s just one brand of straight mute. There\'s Harmon with stem, Harmon sans stem and every variation in between. There\'s cup mutes, bucket mutes, hats, plungers, each with a particular timbre.

Yep, Project SAM releases some of the highest quality libraries I\'ve experienced. I love the ambience of their samples. I\'d love to see a SAM Strings, just to see how it would turn out.

I have one comment for the upcoming SAM Trumpets: PLEASE record muted versions of every single articulation you do un-muted! You might be saying \"well, it\'s too many hours of work and we can\'t justify doing it at the price we\'re planning.\" No problem.. make it an add-on and charge for that (e.g. regular version USD$139, regular + mutes USD$269). People WILL pay for it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] My one and only complaint about previous SAM libraries is a lack of muted articulations.

So, what have you got planned after the trumpets? I would love to see a woodwind library come next. We\'ve got plenty of strings and brass options, but as many woodwind options.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind words.

We finished our recordings for the upcoming SAM Trumpets quite some time ago, so the base material won\'t change.
    MDesigner, however, there will be more playable articulations available than those you see in the preview list on our website. Editing, combining, slicing up and mixing of base articulations are VERY powerful tools. So there will be more than 4 muted articulations per mute type. Not as much as the rest of the library though, but enough for orchestral use. Jazz is another story, but then again that has never been the focus of our SAM libraries. Still I think you\'ll find our choice of mutes very useful. There will be more than listed now. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Like Bruce suggests, you might want to take a look at libraries that are aimed at jazz or bigband if you want more mutes. It could be a great addition to the SAM Trumpets.

Greatzed, many options indeed! Although we have ideas at the moment, we won\'t make up our minds before the SAM Trumpets are finished.

Best,

Maarten

Go Back to forum