• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stylus RMX question

Stylus RMX question

I am a new user of Logic Pro after several years of GarageBand composition. I play guitar, bass, and sing. I do not play drums or keyboards.

I have grown bored with the loops Apple provides and have been searching for new rhythm material. I bought and promptly sold an Akai MRX1000. The Stylus seems from the beta I've read to be a great solution, but I can't determine to what extent I will need or be hindered without a midi keyboard.

Do I understand correctly that the Stylus manipulates and edits loops primarily? Do they show up on Logic as software instrument tracks? Is the midi keyboard merely more dexterously manipulatable than the qwerty method to trigger sequences to build song movements?

Re: Stylus RMX question

Here http://www.spectrasonics.net/video/v...-stylusrmx.php you will find all the answers to your questions.
    In particular, check the "MIDI and Trigger Modes" and "EDIT GROUPS" ones about the usefulness of a midi keyboard.
    Stylus RMX doesn't edit loops in a strict sense. It allows you to manipulate the sound rendering with several tools (FX, Filters, Edit Groups, Time Designer, Chaos Designer), even real time.

Thanks for the link. It is clear that RMX is an amazing product, and seemingly just what I need. I don't want to buy a keyboard, mainly for logistical reasons around my workspace. I have a guitar in my hands most of the time I record...

These videos show a capture of a midi keyboard. Apple states that using the computer's keyboard, set to "Caps Lock Keyboard" will work as a data input. I understand I will lose the dynamic aspect of a nice keyboard, and of course the ergonomic aspects of facility of playing. Can you think of any other operationally hindering aspects to using Stylus RMX without a midi keyboard?

Thanks again,

I don't know the Mac keyboard features (I'm on a PC).
    The lack of a MIDI keyboard depends mainly on your way of working and the result you want to achieve.
    The main and basic use of a keyboard with Stylus is Groove Midi Mode (explained in the first video tutorial I mentioned) and it's really useful for Stylus live performance.
    Again, the video tutorials are very well done and explain the basics of the Stylus ways of working.
    You can begin with Stylus only and then, if a keyboard will become a must (and I repeat, it depends on you), you may buy a micro keyboard controller in the future, something like the nanoSeries2 from Korg.

Hi Gilgamesh,

Stylus RMX also features a "Host Sync" function so when you press start in Logic your RMX loops will sync to Logic's tempo...so no need to trigger loops from a keyboard.

Also you could use Host Automation for most functions in Stylus RMX and automate your edits, filters, effects an so on...no keyboard needed.

Hope this helps in making your decision (or have you decided already)?!

Hi robinB, thanks for your advice suggest. your suggest and advice also helpful for me and i oviously follow your suggesta and advice.

Stoke on Trent, UK

I agree with all the responses to this but I wonder how restrictive it will be using edit groups without a keyboard?
    I'm thinking in terms of notes or should I say slices to include in an edit group. I think I'd be lost without this feature.
    As previously mentioned too, using groove mode to audition suites is also a vital part of the process.

I would certainly purchase RMX - it's too good not to, but you'll probably find purchasing a small keyboard in the future a must. After all you can unplug it and stand it on end up a corner when not is use.
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Glad to help you Jacob13.

I agree NeilB. It is kind of a hassle making edit groups without a keyboard. It is possible by using Logic's (or Cubase's) virtual keyboard. I just tried it.

My suggestion would also be to purchase a small keyboard. Korg makes these Nano usb controllers. In Germany they sell for 45 euro.

Go Back to forum