• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Any entry level orchestral library suggestions?

Share/Bookmark

Any entry level orchestral library suggestions?

If anyone would care to respond:

I\'m looking for a useful orchestral library in the $3-500 range. It needs to be helpful to me in developing some orchestration chops- but also capable of producing presentable recorded music.

I KNOW I\'m asking a lot. And is the Prosonus Orchestral Collection still considered a contender in these respects?

Regards,
    Michael

Re: Any entry level orchestral library suggestions?

It\'s probably worth taking a look at \'Advanced Orchestra\'. Do a search on this forum and you\'ll find a wealth of comments about it. I have it, and even though I now have more recent libaries, still use it a lot.

Steve

Also, see if you can locate the Roland Orchestral library CDs. Although formatted for Roland S series samplers, these samples are very good and worth converting using Translator or CDXtract. Eric Persing (Spectrasonics) produced the library.

Good about the Prosonus:
    Variety, ambience, marcato strings, harp, some percussion, price.

Bad about Prosonus:
    Tuning (even WITH the fix), no vibrato on string sections, tuning, \"stuffy\" tone on some of the brass, tuning, limited multisamples noticeable in the woodwinds, tuning.

Don\'t have AO. Do have Miroslav Mini, but prefer Prosonus after I\'ve fixed the tuning.

One day, QLSO or VSL - or both!

--Eric

Michael,

you have some info there

http://www.tascam.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31407

SergeD

As a real alternative, the new Kompakt comes with 2GB of samples and enough instruments available to fill in for the orchestra. We don\'t have it online at Truespec because we were just notified about it over the weekend. But if that\'s an interest to you, let us know. My contact info is below.

Isn\'t it also true that by buying the new Kompakt you\'re getting those samples, and also training for the EWQLSO because it uses the same or many of the features which comes with the Kompakt?

So if you plan to go EWQLSO route rather than VSL, then Kompakt is a great middle step?

Plus, you can use Gigastudio along with Kompakt, right?

Originally posted by peter269:
    As a real alternative, the new Kompakt comes with 2GB of samples and enough instruments available to fill in for the orchestra. We don\'t have it online at Truespec because we were just notified about it over the weekend. But if that\'s an interest to you, let us know. My contact info is below.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If you have Kontact you can crossgrade for $99.00 US, and get the samples. I mean, if there\'s one good one...

Hi John,

Thanks for the link to Edirol. I listened to their demos and thought the solo strings sounded surprisingly good and that the brass and percussion sounded good in the ensemble, but that the string sections didn\'t sound very realistic, reminding me a bit of Roland\'s GM strings.

Roland\'s old JV-880 had better ensemble strings IMO, and in the Prosonus demos (though demos sure don\'t tell the whole story) you can almost hear the rosin on the bow in some groupings.

I\'m wondering how some of the Prosonus stuff sustains, since it was sampled back when looping was the only way to go.

Regards,
    Michael

A few of the Prosonus loops are a little bumpy, in the string sections and elsewhere. They\'ll hide well in a mix, but not exposed.

That said, I\'d almost never use the Prosonus string sections without layering. They are ALL non-vibrato, and not well-suited for the often-heard sweeping lyrical string section sound.

--Eric, feeling wordy.

Go Back to forum