• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Classic Pipe Organs - Demos of all 75 stops

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Garritan Classic Pipe Organs - Demos of all 75 stops

I was inspired by a recent post from Noldar12, "...my own wish would be for many more demos...To me, the existing demos make too much use of mixtures, and it is very difficult to get a real sense of what many of the individual stops actually sound like...I don't really have a detailed enough idea of how GCPO sounds..."

Now, after an enjoyable afternoon of putting this together, I have demos of every single stop, exactly as they load in ARIA. Nothing more was done than to go through the menus, load each patch/stop, and record a short demo with each.

Here's the link to the master folder where you'll find 6 sub-folders, 1 for each of the organs in the Library, and inside those folders, MP3s demonstrating all available stops.

Garritan Classic Pipe Organs - Demos of all 75 stops

I used Bach compositions, giving each stop between 10 and 20 seconds to play.

More details:

--The Bach pieces used are "Fugue No.1" "Aria Spirituale" "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" "Little Prelude and Fugue in E minor" and "Fantasia and Fugue in C minor."

--Those five pieces are from an Italian site dedicated to the pipe organ which you will find at this link:

Italian Pipe Organ Site

They have a free collection of 519 MIDI files all recorded LIVE in real time, and they are excellent, the best available according to some organ oriented sites I went to. No notation program quantized sound here - These sound like a live organist, because the MIDI was captured in real time!

You don't need to search at the Italian site. I've made the complete collection available as BONUS MIDI FILES in the above Box folder. Along with the 75 MP3 demos, you'll find a folder with all 519 of these, free for the taking.

--The MIDI recordings were performed by R. Diodati in 1998.

To put the MP3s together, I used ARIA's Convolution Reverb, the Schellingwoude Church pre-set. I inched the delay up just slightly, and turned its level all the way up. In the mixer, I turned the Send all the way up.

As you go through the demos of the stops, you'll hear that the Bach files were sliced up so that each MP3 picks up where the previous one ended. When I reached the end of a Bach piece, I went on to the next.

There! No Mystery left as to what all these stops in the Library sound like!

Keep in mind there are many controls in ARIA for the Pipe Organ, and extra sounds available. There's a long list of Ensembles which are combinations of these 75 stops. But what I've demoed here are the basic, raw materials of the Library. These stops can be combined in any way you wish, with the balance between them controlled in ARIA.

Randy

Re: Garritan Classic Pipe Organs - Demos of all 75 stops

Randy, I haven't had the chance to listen to the files yet, but what you have done is going to prove to be most helpful.

Thanks.

Talking Re: Garritan Classic Pipe Organs - Demos of all 75 stops

WOW Randy! Thank you for taking the time to create and share these!

Awesome!
    Chad

If MakeMusic haven't yet given you a lifetime subscription to every product they ever release, I don't know what else you could do to earn it Randy.

If I ever want an evangelist for one of my products, you are exactly what I would be looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins View Post
    If MakeMusic haven't yet given you a lifetime subscription to every product they ever release, I don't know what else you could do to earn it Randy.

If I ever want an evangelist for one of my products, you are exactly what I would be looking for.
    We have a superb team of beta testers and Randy is part of that exceptional team. I feel honored to be working with such a qualified team of talented composers and musicians on a daily basis.

Cheers!
    Chad

Hi, Noldar - Thanks for giving me the idea to put this together. You were right that this was needed, since, as you said "...it is very difficult to get a real sense of what many of the individual stops actually sound like..." Now everyone can hear exactly what each stop/stop combination sounds like "straight out of the box."

It would probably be good if this collection of MP3s could be included on the Organ's info page at the Garritan site. Maybe that will happen, so that demo gap can be filled.

Chad, and Alan! Thank ye, lads, for your appreciative posts. I'm glad to have arrived at a practical way for cranking out those demos. Once I was on a roll, it made for a nice afternoon yesterday.

Like I said on another thread, I hope we start hearing some Pipe Organ projects in The Listening Room. Tom Davis broke the ice - he put up the first piece this morning, and it sounds great.

Randy

Thanks Randy!

I'll listen to the when I get home tonight.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by caher View Post
    Thanks Randy!

I'll listen to the when I get home tonight.

Chris
    Since you have the Library, these demos won't be a surprise to you, Chris. BUT be sure to grab that folder with 519 MIDI files of classic organ pieces, all data recorded in real time. It's a treasure trove of material! and I included it in the Box folder with the MP3 demos.

Randy

Bump for the weekend traffic, don't want to miss out on these great demos.

Bump for being epic and very useful.
    ~Rodney

Go Back to forum