• Register
  • Help

Topic: Feature suggestion for the new Classic Pipe Organ

Share/Bookmark

Feature suggestion for the new Classic Pipe Organ

Hallo

I think that what in the User Manual is described as "MAY include" (see pag. 14: 'Future versions *may also include* designing a dedicated graphical user interface with virtual stops') should be "MUST include": without such a dedicated GUI is impractical to use the stops as they are intended to be used in a real Classic Pipe Organ.

Are there real life organists (I'm only a keen amateur) that can second this feature request? IMHO it's really a MUST....

Thanks
    er

Re: Feature suggestion for the new Classic Pipe Organ

This was discussed during beta testing. A decent GUI for a pipe organ would take quite a bit of development for it to work like the real thing. It would probably double the cost of the library.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    This was discussed during beta testing. A decent GUI for a pipe organ would take quite a bit of development for it to work like the real thing. It would probably double the cost of the library.

Jim
    ...nevertheless I hope that such a GUI will be developed!

Thanks
    er

Quote Originally Posted by ersteller View Post
    ...nevertheless I hope that such a GUI will be developed!

Thanks
    er
    Hi, Ersteller - I got word yesterday that work has already started on this sort of stops control. That will make the Library more versatile for real-time playing. Meanwhile, there's a simple way to switch stops in recordings done with the organs. It's a two part process, recording, then editing. I outline the process on this thread:

Changing stops in your Pipe Organ projects

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Ersteller - I got word yesterday that work has already started on this sort of stops control.
    Thanks Randy, these are really good news!

Meanwhile, there's a simple way to switch stops in recordings done with the organs.
    I can't use your method, because as you write: "This tip is only for DAW software users" and I use a notation program. I'll wait for a suitable GUI.

er

Quote Originally Posted by ersteller View Post
    ...I can't use your method, because as you write: "This tip is only for DAW software users" and I use a notation program...
    oh! Sorry to disappoint. Many things are more straight-forward in a sequencer since we can have as many tracks in a project as we want, without needing to consider how the data will display on staff lines. I certainly admire people who primarily use notation software and get not only good print outs but also good recordings.

As things are right now, the difficulty is that for an organ, or any instrument to read and play a data stream, everything needs to be on the same MIDI channel. The action of turning a stop on or off is exactly like turning the volume on and off in a track, but that effects everything tuned to that MIDI channel. In my work around, all the stops are assigned their own MIDI channel after the performance has been recorded. At that point, it's easy enough to engage and disengage stops however the user wants - but only in a produced recording, not in a live situation. If a Finale user divided the stops into separate MIDI channels like that, each would have to be on its own staff line - and obviously that wouldn't work.

I'm not a programmer, but it seems to me that this stop switching will have to be done in the audio realm, involving muting and un-muting audio tracks instead of MIDI tracks. But I'm unable to picture how real-time operation would be handled even that way - How would one play the organ and grab a mouse to activate stops at the same time? A user with a controller keyboard would be able to do it, with the stops mapped to switches on the keyboard - then working with the stops would virtually be the same as on a real world organ console.

So, it's quite a challenge, to add the stop flipping function to this Library - It will be very interesting to see what the developers come up with.

Randy

Randy, there are a couple of different ways it can be handled (as a certain other organ program does). First, stops can be assigned to a keyswitch that is outside the five octave traditional organ keyboard range. Second - and a method that works very well for live playing (at one time I was a very "bad" orgainst - theater style): the stops are displayed in console format on a touch screen. When the player wants to engage a stop or particular preset, he/she simply touches the stop/preset on the touch screen.

For better or worse, when desiring to reach the live player market, that other program (far more expensive) is the competition GCPO will be up against, as that program is designed specifically for live use. As has already been mentioned, added the needed changes would doubtlessly cause the cost of GCPO to go up.

The keyswitch method also works fairly well when using Finale (a method I use very often with a different VI). All the keyswitches can be notated on separate staves from the actual score parts. When the work is finished a separate copy can be created and the keyswitch staves deleted. One could simply omit those staves and print, but that tends to not work as well as the keyswitches/related rests tend to elongate each measure a great deal, particularly if there are several keyswitches within a single measure, as is often the case.

Quote Originally Posted by noldar12 View Post
    Randy, there are a couple of different ways it can be handled (as a certain other organ program does). First, stops can be assigned to a keyswitch that is outside the five octave traditional organ keyboard range. Second...the stops are displayed in console format on a touch screen. When the player wants to engage a stop or particular preset, he/she simply touches the stop/preset on the touch screen...

The keyswitch method also works fairly well when using Finale (a method I use very often with a different VI). All the keyswitches can be notated on separate staves from the actual score parts. When the work is finished a separate copy can be created and the keyswitch staves deleted. One could simply omit those staves and print...
    Nice, Noldar! Thanks for the info - Oh man, touch screens - They're so not in my orbit, I didn't even think of them. That would be slick.

Keyswitches - !-- 75 of them? --how would that work--?

I thought in Finale that one of the tricks was to do all the markings and staves you want, for the purposes of getting a good recording, but then all that extra stuff could be rendered invisible for the purposes of printing--I mean, I didn't think you ever had to delete things like that.-- ?

Randy

Keyswitches - !-- 75 of them? --how would that work--?
    I don't use keyswitches: I use (hidden) MIDI commands to control the stops, so I can write a normal organ score (3 staves) with readable indication of the registration. That way the (uncluttered) score can be played not only live, but by the notation program too.

er

Go Back to forum