• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: At Randy's request.

Share/Bookmark

At Randy's request.

https://www.box.com/s/fd31526351b810d5b71c
    Well since you asked so nicely, and with the understanding that I am NOT an organist by any stretch of the imagination: Here is my personal apology to Buxtedude.

Re: At Randy's request.

Thanks for breaking the ice, Tom - You win the prize for being the first to post a piece using the great new Garritan Pipe Organs Library.

Gee whiz, I didn't need acknowledgement in the subject line though---Buxtedude's name would have worked!

What a great sound - Surely people who don't have this collection yet are drooling over the sound quality of both the organs and the real space (no trademark infringement intended) acoustics with ARIA's new convolution reverb.

Could you tell us a bit about the creation of this? You work in Finale, so this is driven from notation, I take it. Did you use a Crescendo Pedal patch for the volume changes? I'm curious about that in particular, because there sounds like some unnatural volume changes in a few places. Not being an organist, I can't be positive if all the volume shifts you do in this are possible or not--?

THANKS, Tom!

Randy

Randy,

Since this was the very first organ piece I have ever attempted, I kept it very, very simple. (well, if you consider mordents simple) Literally out-of-the box usage.

This was all done by point-and-click in Finale 2012 with no attempt at volume control. I also noticed the rather unusual volume changes from time to time and as close as I can tell as the number of musical lines decreased, so did the volume; then just before a new line became active the volume would suddenly spike. The score is arranged in three staves. I went into human playback and did a little adjusting, but it did not help much at all.

I also noticed that great distortion happens when the volume is increased to over about 90% in the Studio View of Finale 2012. At first I thought that it was just my speakers, but then I read in the Finale manual that playing Garritan instruments at or near 100% always results in distortion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Randy,

Since this was the very first organ piece I have ever attempted, I kept it very, very simple. (well, if you consider mordents simple) Literally out-of-the box usage.

This was all done by point-and-click in Finale 2012 with no attempt at volume control. I also noticed the rather unusual volume changes from time to time and as close as I can tell as the number of musical lines decreased, so did the volume; then just before a new line became active the volume would suddenly spike. The score is arranged in three staves. I went into human playback and did a little adjusting, but it did not help much at all.

I also noticed that great distortion happens when the volume is increased to over about 90% in the Studio View of Finale 2012. At first I thought that it was just my speakers, but then I read in the Finale manual that playing Garritan instruments at or near 100% always results in distortion.
    Howdy, Tom - Thanks for the details. man--you think that's Simple?--whoosh, doesn't sound simple to me!

Could you tell us what stop combinations or Ensemble(s) you used? Inquiring potential Pipe Organ users could be helped with that info.

Those volume jumps just happened - Hmmm. Must have something to do with a particular stop being engaged, set to a different level by default or something. Can't tell.

The overall volume thing - DEFINITELY - not ever advisable to let ARIA's sliders go up past their default settings. All the Garritan Libraries have their samples at good, full volumes, probably Normalized. Like with my Autoharp SFZ instrument, part of my programming was to have default volumes that shouldn't be messed with - I think you pointed out that it distorted if the sliders were moved higher. Correct! AND I think you said that Finale, for some reason, automatically puts the sliders up at the top - which isn't very helpful. In DAW software, those defaults remain as programmed until the user makes the conscious choice to change them.

Randy

Randy,

Someday I will HAVE to re-install my Cubase Studio5 and learn how to use it.

I used the Baroque Large Cathedral Ensemble which included flauto octava 4’2”, Principal 4’, Copula Maj 8’, Forte Comb, Plenum, Ripieno Comb, and Blower Noise.

Since this is only a test piece to use with future trials, who knows what else I will find.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    ...I used the Baroque Large Cathedral Ensemble...
    OK, Good - I'll toy with that pre-set and see what happens. I'll use one of the incredible MIDI files I found online of classic organ pieces that had the data recorded in real time. In case you don't know about those, over in General Discussion I posted the link to a folder that has 75 demos I put together of all the stops in Pipe Organs, and included a folder with 519 MIDI files:

Garritan Pipe Organs demos of all stops + bonus MIDI files

Tom, is it possible some volume commands sneaked into your Finale file, causing those volume jumps?

Randy

Randy,

I did in fact read your demo efforts. A major contribution if I may say so. I have checked the possible volume alterations in Finale, but can find nothing that accounts for the variables. But remember, I write music and am totally inept at computers; it is possible I have missed something.

I did not even set p, mf, or f throughout – just let what was already existing take its course.

On the other hand, the sound was so thrilling I kind of lost my other concerns when I first played it.
    Oh, and I used no ambience other than what was pre-set.

Tom

Randy,

I just went through the Chorale and inserted volume controls at every point where there is a substantial deviation. While I could slightly change a few spots, for the most part within one or two beats after the insertion, the volume took a dip as before. You may have been on to something about the addition or removal of stops.

Tom

Buxtedude? That's the fat guy, own's the cigar store on Fifth and
    Main, right?

Adventuresome of you, Tom, and a good shot at Dieterich Buxtehude.
    As a gracelessly retired organ-stomper (I never really played the thing,
    more jumped up and down on the pedals while I hammered at the keyboard),
    I can attest that creating a good synthetic rendering asks for more than
    meets the eye. Or the foot, for that matter.

Good start on this!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

On Main? Wasn't his first name Jay?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast