• Register
  • Help

Topic: WHat has happened to the site?

Share/Bookmark

WHat has happened to the site?

Why does the site keep crashing? I have to wait nearly five minutes to have a page pop up. Also, I can no longer just type a response in the forum. Instead, I have to type it out in MS word, copy it and then paste it in a forum reply. Also, I can not make more than one or two changes in forum edit; the site freezes and I eventyually get a blank page as if I’ve not typed anything at all.

What the heck is going on all of a sudden?

Re: WHat has happened to the site?

Now I am frequently getting a pop up saying the site is not responding when I try to post a forum message.

It's such a drag - It's not happening to everyone at the same time, Tom, but I know exactly what you mean. More and more junk starts loading with the Forum pages, making it sluggish in the extreme.

Every time this comes up in a post I feel helpless, because I can never remember the exact steps to clear the crap out. Hopefully the website experts out there who have helped in the past will see your thread and post some info.

You have to flush some things out with your browser's tools - wish I could step you through it. There's a site with "sports" in the name that is the worst offender - it Has to be gotten rid of. I got rid of it a long time ago, with the help of someone here, and I've been fine ever since.

Randy

These issues can be caused by a few different things. Some tips that may help:

Make sure you have the latest version of your browser. (I would recommend using Firefox or Google Chrome if possible, but IE 9 or later would not be bad)

Make sure you are blocking third-party cookies (most browsers do this by default, Chrome being the exception)

If you are still having issues, the site Randy mentioned is classactsports.com, the site itself has some issues that prevents it from loading correctly, whether navigating to it directly or loading it via another website.

If you have a question about how to do any of these things, let me know, and good luck!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

If you have a router that has content filtering or parental controls, you can block sites like "classactsports.com" so that they don't even load. You'll have to access your router's utility via a web browser to do so. (Your mileage may vary depending on how good the vendor implements it. Some routers will ask for a password before accessing a site; others will simply block the site and let you continue.)

The 'No Script' add-on tool for Firefox users also blocks unwanted, irrelevant scripts and sites and gives more control over what loads.

When I connected to the forum this morning there were no less than 13 sites (yes, that's thirteen) blocked by my 'No script' including two tracking sites: 'twimg.com' and 'sharethis.com'. Also blocked was the mentioned 'classactsports.com' and another sports site called 'victorbgreen.com'.

Also blocked, amongst others, were a couple of Google data collecting sites and the usual social networking things.

I know we have had previous discussions on the 'No Script' tool and, for some reason, some people didn't get on with it. We do have full control and can allow or deny individual scripts and sites with a click.

With the tool fully enabled most, if not all, browser crippling junk is blocked and this forum still functions normally for me.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum