• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mac Sequencer Teleport Solutions?

Share/Bookmark

Mac Sequencer Teleport Solutions?

First up...im a mac guy, and not so hip on curent cutting edge PC software....and with much respect to my fellow colleagues on the boards using only PC\'s...no im not interested in converting...im not a mac snob...i just work with tools that i think are compatible with ME....OK...I guess im not straight on how QLSO works standalone on one machine...if your NOT using a PC sequencer, how many instances of QLSO can you have open in standalone mode? just one? do I need this VST stacker thing if I want to run more than one instance without a seq? My other question is... Im running a mac as my DAW (MOTU DP 4.01, OSX)...in order to use FX Teleport...one needs to have a seq at the end of the PC machine chain...right?...is there any other way to do this without a seq on the PC? if not...is there a cheap bare bones PC seq I can buy to use just as a front end for Teleport that can be driven via MIDI by my Mac using DP? Would I be creating latency problems by doing this? That seems like a kinda convoluted setup to me...is there any other way/options...in the near future?
    Thank God for this forum!
    CD

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Mac Sequencer Teleport Solutions?

Originally posted by Christopher Drake:
    First up...im a mac guy, and not so hip on curent cutting edge PC software....and with much respect to my fellow colleagues on the boards using only PC\'s...no im not interested in converting...im not a mac snob...i just work with tools that i think are compatible with ME....OK...I guess im not straight on how QLSO works standalone on one machine...if your NOT using a PC sequencer, how many instances of QLSO can you have open in standalone mode? just one? do I need this VST stacker thing if I want to run more than one instance without a seq? My other question is... Im running a mac as my DAW (MOTU DP 4.01, OSX)...in order to use FX Teleport...one needs to have a seq at the end of the PC machine chain...right?...is there any other way to do this without a seq on the PC? if not...is there a cheap bare bones PC seq I can buy to use just as a front end for Teleport that can be driven via MIDI by my Mac using DP? Would I be creating latency problems by doing this? That seems like a kinda convoluted setup to me...is there any other way/options...in the near future?
    Thank God for this forum!
    CD
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t have much info, but I\'ll give you what I can.

At present, the cheap pc \"front end\" you describe would not work with FX Teleport. V-Stack is cross platform, I believe, but I don\'t have experience with its use. FX Teleport is really nice, and as transparent this kind of technology could possibly be.

I wish you luck. Hopefully, some veteran Mac-based V-stack user is lurking.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Well, there you have it. We\'re back to, \"get a PC and live happily ever after.\" [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Please note though, that you can use VSTACK to run vst instruments on a PC without a PC sequencer, and run them via midi from your mac. Ed Hamilton does this, and heaven help me, I am about to try in 1 week.

This is for using atmosphere, and other vst instrumetns, not QLSO.

Again, Vstack can run stand alone and host the VST instruments, and your sequncer can be on the mac, connected via midi. Vstack is only 16 channels, however! (Chainer I believe is substantially more, but comes less recommended for some reason).

Rob

Robert, please keep us posted on your results. I\'m thinking strongly of doing this exact thing....

I seem to remember (although my brain\'s a bit toasty, so don\'t quote me) that Max was developing a Mac version of FX Teleport... or was that the FX Freeze?

Sigh... as I said, my gray matter seems a little crisp around the edges lately...

Originally posted by Robert Kral:
    Please note though, that you can use VSTACK to run vst instruments on a PC without a PC sequencer, and run them via midi from your mac. Ed Hamilton does this, and heaven help me, I am about to try in 1 week.

This is for using atmosphere, and other vst instrumetns, not QLSO.

Again, Vstack can run stand alone and host the VST instruments, and your sequncer can be on the mac, connected via midi. Vstack is only 16 channels, however! (Chainer I believe is substantially more, but comes less recommended for some reason).

Rob
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah... I second Austins request....good luck Rob, please keep us updated on how things turn out...if I remeber..from your GOS interview a while back...I have a simular setup as yours...(unless you bailed on MOTU and went Logic.)

Originally posted by x$:
    I seem to remember that Max was developing a Mac version of FX Teleport...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, Max has confirmed that OSX support is in the plans for an upcoming version.

/Mattias

I have a PC (2.4ghz P4) that has pretty much become dedicated to atmosphere.

V Stack does work. Eric Persing has also recommended a couple other vsti host programs but I went with V stack.

This machine maxes out at about 90 stereo voices. (atmoshphere + V stack).

Using more than one instance really does not cut down the polyphony too bad. Hardly at all actually.

I intended to use V stack along side giga. It does work but over time it just got simpler to dedicate that PC to Soft synths.

I built out a shuttle case with the 2.4 P4.
    Added an rme board and some hard drives.

The PC cost $900. Card was $350. Atmoshphere was $350ish?

For $1600 it killed my triton studio which shortly thereafter went on a permenant Ebay vacation.
    So I actually ended up with money left over!
    So I built another PC!

feel free to email me any questions about this setup.

ed

Go Back to forum