• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aria 1.5 and Importing Third Party SFZ

Share/Bookmark

Aria 1.5 and Importing Third Party SFZ

This is such an awesome future in the new Aria Player, but when it locates dimension pro and I load and instrument all is fine until I go to the control page where there is suppose to be release, attack, etc... There is nothing there. No control options for third party sfz.

Re: Aria 1.5 and Importing Third Party SFZ

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    This is such an awesome future in the new Aria Player, but when it locates dimension pro and I load and instrument all is fine until I go to the control page where there is suppose to be release, attack, etc... There is nothing there. No control options for third party sfz.
    That's correct, Sururick. The Garritan instruments have all controls available in the Controls window because proprietary programming has been implemented in the SFZ files. In order for 3rd party instruments to have that kind of display, a lot of customization would need to be done.

We've always been able to manually import SFZ instruments in ARIA, but now, besides automatically detecting Dimension, what's new in this version of ARIA is direct access to the SFZ files. Click the "Open in text editor" on the info page, and the file opens. You can make any edits you want and close it again, all without having to hunt around on your hard drive for the SFZ file and opening it outside of ARIA.

If you open one of those Dim Pro files, you'll see that the programming is often very Spartan, with just a list of regions and the .wav file references. That's the very minimum information needed in an SFZ file. Those Cakewalk files tend to not have the "extra" programming like velocity layers, EQ, AfterTouch info etc.

In comparison, if you open the SFZ file for any Garritan instrument, you'll see the files are much more complex. The "Open in text editor" option isn't available for Garritan, because they didn't want to give the user quick, easy access to the files which can get fouled up if the user makes incorrect edits. You can still access those SFZ files by going to the Garritan folder in your Program Files - And opening one up, you'll see "opcodes" for all sorts of things - Legato control, complex amplitude envelopes - and all the programming that makes those controls appear in ARIA.

To have access to the Dim Pro controls, the best thing to still do is open up an instance of the synth's GUI in your project. The proprietary .prog files for Dim have all those controls available, and those don't open in ARIA - only the MultiSamples do.

You could do the work of adding customized code to the Dim SFZ files - but really, you'd be re-inventing the wheel. Much easier to just open the instruments in their own sample player, Dim Pro.

Randy

Very cool to hear! Most of the Dimension Pro sfz files are the mappings for the samples, and don't contain the envelopes, eq, and other MIDI controls inside the sfz files. However, if you do load any sfz files that do contain MIDI control opcodes, basic controls will appear and be loaded on ARIA's Controls page. Pretty cool.

Thanks for the feedback. I was really looking forward to the feature because aria has a wonderful engine and you can ensemble different instruments in the same program. I guess it is just easier to use dimension pro's sampler, but its only one instrument at a time. I also like how the controls work better in Aria. Do you know how to implement the sfz files to show all controls? I am not familiar with the actual editing of sfz files. I think I am willing to challenge this task. Like what functions in the sfz files will allow the dimension sfz files to read aria controls?

...Do you know how to implement the sfz files to show all controls? I am not familiar with the actual editing of sfz files. I think I am willing to challenge this task. Like what functions in the sfz files will allow the dimension sfz files to read aria controls?
    Here ya go - Forum member Jim Snyder "jdsnyderii" put together a tutorial for doing what you're asking for.

He posted the link again recently on my thread about customizing Garritan instruments. That tip from me was about making simple adjustments on the fly, like when you want to change an instrument from polyphonic to monophonic playback. But Jim's instructions are much more detailed. As he says, doing what he explains is a fair amount of work and only worth it if you're going to use an instrument a lot.

Take a look here:

Adding SFZ sounds and UI Controls to ARIA

Randy

Thanks a lot Randy. This is going to be very useful. It's definitely going to be useful. Now I just have to put aside my game designing for bit. The main instruments I want to be used in the Aria engine are the strings and some of the garritan instruments. Dimension's interface isn't to bad, but as I mentioned, it only allows one instrument per instance which can be annoying at times. Thanks again for sharing this tutorial.

Go Back to forum