Share/Bookmark

Testy Concerto for Orchestra 3rd Movement Scherzo

A RhythmicTrance for Orchestra

http://soundcloud.com/peter-magic-fi...erto-no3-part3

Enjoy,

Regards

Peter Moore

Re: Testy Concerto for Orchestra 3rd Movement Scherzo

Peter, I'm having some difficulty with this... very murky, blurred, bassy.

Not sure if this might be my system or something? Occasionally I have a problem with downloads from this source.

Could you check the recording? Perhaps it didn't upload well?

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

It's a bit of a work in progress - edted audio - fixed. Will post another asap.

Thanks

Peter - I'm rather in the same boat as Et Lux. This is very bassy and boomy, "blurred" is a good descriptor. I couldn't listen to it all, truth be told.

If the recording sounds as you intended - Suggestions would be to dial the reverb Way back, and to roll off the bass on each of these bassy instruments you've used. Bass instruments don't do well with reverb - they become muddy and boomy. And it sounds like your arrangement features a variety of bass instruments, all competing for the same frequency bands. --That could be fixed at least some if you seriously roll off lots of bass - and dial the reverb way back, as in choose a smaller room size, or use a short plate, and add only tastes to the tracks, nothing close to 100% wet like this recording sounds.

Feedback only pertinent if the sound of the recording at SoundCloud is as you intended.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Peter - I'm rather in the same boat as Et Lux. This is very bassy and boomy, "blurred" is a good descriptor. I couldn't listen to it all, truth be told.

If the recording sounds as you intended - Suggestions would be to dial the reverb Way back, and to roll off the bass on each of these bassy instruments you've used. Bass instruments don't do well with reverb - they become muddy and boomy. And it sounds like your arrangement features a variety of bass instruments, all competing for the same frequency bands. --That could be fixed at least some if you seriously roll off lots of bass - and dial the reverb way back, as in choose a smaller room size, or use a short plate, and add only tastes to the tracks, nothing close to 100% wet like this recording sounds.

Feedback only pertinent if the sound of the recording at SoundCloud is as you intended.

Randy
    That's kind of what I thought -- but Randy has better ears.

Maybe try it dead dry for starters. Then add just a scooch (technical term, sorry) of reverb... always better too little than too much.

All the detail's getting buried... and that's usually an excessive reverb problem.

Best,

David
    ------
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Piano Maestro View Post
    A RhythmicTrance for Orchestra

Regards

Peter Moore
    I hear some really interesting things, such as effective use of repetitive rhythmic ideas and nicely voiced piano chords. "RhythmicTrance" seems right. I would like to hear more of your work.

Norman

Hi Peter,

This sounded very interesting and VERY original ... I liked it a lot. Maybe I have a higher tolerance for mudiness, but although I too think it needs more definition (as others have indicated, perhaps less reverb and more bass rolloff?), overall I really liked the mood it created ... and to be honest, I wonder if part of that charm IS the distant feeling from a lot of reverb, almost like listening to music coming from a half-block away from your own house on a sultry Summer night ... very unusual!

Adding to that overall ethereal feeling is the slightly detuned nature of the piece ... is there a steel drum in there? That's what it reminded me of ... a steel drum playing over some other, almost undefined instruments. Very different.

Thanks for posting this,

Regards,

Frank

Interesting orchestration -and yes, it is too bassy/boomy. I did wonder about how many repetitions took place - it was kind of effective, and perhaps a bit too much; is there more to the piece? Also, I wonder why you didn't credit the original source of the material - is it a kind of homage? Are you taking these phrases, and then developing them? When I hear something taken from another piece, I always wonder - not that it's a problem, but rather the meaning of quote.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum