• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anybody else having problems with Bardstown Bosendorfer?

Share/Bookmark

Anybody else having problems with Bardstown Bosendorfer?

Hi All,

This is a great piano, and I know Kip will forgive me for the post title. This truly is a wonderful \"all purpose\" piano.

I bought bardstown bosendorfer for kontakt. No matter what I did, crackle, especially on peddle down, higher velocity. Had NI rep on site - he could not help. Liked the piano so much that I finally gave up on bardstown bos for kontakt and bought bardstown bos for giga. Same crackle at high velocity. I don\'t get crackle on any other samples, although all I have are sam horns and Advanced Orchestra loaded on giga machine.

I run kontakt on same machine as sequencer cubase sx with P4 2gb ram, 8mg buffer,120 hard drive dedicated to samples.

Run giga on its own machine, P4, 2gbRAM, 120 hard drive with 8 mg buffer. Dedicated drive for samples.

RME sound cards on both machines. Tried every possible adjustment on sound cards. Talked with RME, etc. No IRQ conflicts. Run lightpipe to connect both machines.

Anybody have any ideas? Maybe the bardstown bos is so large that even fairly decent machines like mine can\'t handle this instrument size?

Thanks for any help,

Re: Anybody else having problems with Bardstown Bosendorfer?

The Native Instruments tech support rep called me on Sunday from Joanne\'s home and we talked about various settings in Kontakt and also audio hardware settings. During that telephone conversation I was not aware that Joanne was using an RME audio PCI interface card on her Giga/Kontakt computer. RME audio PCI cards are excellent audio interfaces for most applications, but personally I have never had any success with RME cards on my Giga/Kontakt PC\'s. I have tried to use RME DIGI 96/8 PAD cards on two different Giga/Kontakt/VSTi PC\'s that I have, and I have always had problems with pops, crackles, and white noise. Both of my Giga/Kontakt PC\'s have Intel Pentium 4 mother boards with fast Intel processors. When I replaced these RME cards on these two different Giga/Kontakt PC\'s with Frontier Design \"Wave Center PCI\" cards, which I just happened to have sitting in my desk drawer, my problems were instantly resolved with these Giga/Kontakt PC\'s... no more clicks, crackles, pops, or bursts of white noise. I do have two other computers that I use these RME DIGI 96/8 PAD cards on with great success... a Sequoia/Samplitude Intel P4 PC and a Logic/Digital Performer G4 Macintosh.

The Native Instruments tech support rep who called me from Joanne\'s home on Sunday told me that he was hearing distortion on most all of the notes on the Bosendorfer at the third velocity level only, not at the forth (loudest) velocity level. The Native Instruments rep also told me and Joanne that he had the Bardstown Bosendorfer on one of the computers at the Native Instruments office where he works and that he does not hear any of this distortion on the Bardstown Bosendorfer on the computer at the Native Instruments office. The rep also told me that he opened the keyboard map in Kontakt on Joanne\'s computer and played these 3rd (second from the loudest) velocity notes individually in Kontakt and still heard the same distortion in the Kontakt editor. But when he imported these same exact wave file notes into Cubase SX on Joanne\'s computer, he said these same exact notes on the Bosendorfer sounded perfect, and without any of the distortion that he was hearing in Kontakt on these same exact notes. I suggested to the rep that he may want to un-install and reinstall Kontakt in order to see if that may solve the problem. Bear in mind that at that time, I was not aware that there was a RME audio card on that computer, which I now think may be the source of the problem, especially if it is a RME DIGI series card. These particular RME DIGI series cards are quite often a problem with soft samplers and VSTi\'s on certain PC computer systems with certain mother boards.

There seems to be a problem with the monitoring setup on Joanne\'s computer, and most likely the RME card on her Giga/Kontakt PC is the problem, considering I had similar problems with the RME cards on my Giga/Kontakt PC\'s, and when I replaced them with the Frontier Design \"Wave Center PCI\" cards, my problems were solved.

It is my understanding that the RME \"Hammerfall\" series cards do work extremely well with Giga, Kontakt, and other VSTi\'s, though I have never personally used a RME \"Hammerfall\" card on any of my computers. I believe it is the RME \"DIGI\" series audio cards that are sometimes a problem with Giga/Kontakt and VSTi\'s on certain computer systems with certain mother boards. I would like to say that even though I had problems with Giga, Kontakt, HALion, and other soft samplers and VSTi\'s with the RME \"DIGI\" series cards on my PC computers, other audio programs, such as Samplitude, Sequoia, Logic, Cubase SX, etc., on these same PC computers with the RME \"DIGI\" series cards perform very well without any of the crackles, pops, and burst of white noise.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Hi Joanne,

I think what you\'re hearing is buzzing that\'s already in the samples. I spoke to Kip about this after I bought the Bos. I thought it shouldn\'t be there, but he assured me that he captured the true sound of the piano, and that there are some \'resonances\' in some of the high velocity samples. If you use the patch that has a filter on the mod wheel, you can \'darken\' the sound slightly and it gets rid of most of the buzzing.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Sorry Kip,

We posted at the same time! Seems like a very different problem to what I commented on.

Chris

FWIY, I use the Bards Bosendorfer with GS and a RME Hammerfall Digiface without any problems whatsoever. Too low a buffer can cause some clicks, as to be expected, but I usually run 128 without problems.

I also have the 24 bit Bose for Kontact and Halion. I use it with Halion and an RME Hammerfall Digiface with no problems. I did download the demo for Kontact, and couldn\'t get to load at all...I assumed it was because it was a demo version.

Good luck...RME and the Bard\'s Bose is a great combo when it works as it should.

Hi Joanne,

Even though I\'m sure you addressed it, I was also going to mention the matter of raising your latency.

Also, in Win XP right-click on My Computer, go; properties> advanced> performance> settings> advanced (again) - Make sure that processor scheduling is set for background services. ASIO drivers run as a service and you will get lower latency by setting Windows this way.

Hope this helps, Scott.

Hi Kip,

I want to thank you again for all your help. I don\'t know any other supplier that would call a customer on Memorial Day.

I think it\'s worth the time/expense to change sound cards. I\'ll see if I can talk realtime with Sporter to compare settings first, as it appears he\'s OK with this setup. However, as we all know, the Motherboard combo with the RME can be the culprit as well. I\'m committed to finding the issue with my particular setup - and know I\'ll be successful.

Chris,

I know exactly the after ring you are referring to. Prevelent on some notes/velocities more than others, but from my memory, the real bos does the same thing.

Sporter, I\'ll pm you and see if we can compare sound card settings if you\'re open to that.

Hi Craig,

XP was not setup for background processing. I changed it over, but it did not appear to make a difference. Thanks for taking the time to think of possible causes.

Hi Craig,

XP was not setup for background processing. I changed it over, but it did not appear to make a difference. Thanks for taking the time to think of possible causes.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Who\'s Craig? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Oh jeez...bad sound cards, unable to get a decent piano running, and now I\'m calling you \"Craig\". I\'m having a really bad week...

Hehehe, no problems. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] BTW that was your 100 post!

Congrats... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum