• Register
  • Help

Topic: EWQL vs VSL...performance aspects

Share/Bookmark

EWQL vs VSL...performance aspects

So both libraries sound great, but I have some confusion about how they actually work.

Some people are saying that VSL kills EWQL based on the performance tools. I\'ve also heard that VSL\'s legato function (and EWQL\'s lack of it) is an extremely big deal.

Others (such as Dave Govett) say that EWQL is geared towards getting work done quickly.

Can anyone who knows both libraries shed some light on how they work in terms of workflow and difficulty of getting good performances?

Re: EWQL vs VSL...performance aspects

Sharmy,
    The way I work and I think many will work is:
    I have pretty much every single program in the entire library loaded into 6 machines (4 would suffice). This is the full mix samples. I leave my computers on and at any moment can just write music and get final mixes with no bouncing or any huge mixing effort. That\'s also what Dave Govett is doing. Dave and I are having a blast with the library. The rest of the demo guys were not so lucky, simply because their build of the library had some problems (now fixed). That is precisely why we didn\'t want them talking. The legato and cross-fade instruments didn\'t work AT ALL in their build of the library. Still we have some early demos. I can hear some rough transitions here and there because of the lack of legato programs in the version they were using. The legato in EWQLSO is quite good, actually, but it\'s not VSL.

I looked at the VSL pro-edition list yesterday and it\'s staggering how much stuff is in there.
    These 2 libraries couldn\'t be more different. To me it\'s simple. If you want to always be able to find exactly the right sample or play lots of soloed legato instruments, VSL is a great choice.
    If you want your music to sound like a big classical recording, or a small classical recording, or a Keith Johnson recording, or a Hollywood filmscore (a very good one)and get a sound that you will never get from any other library and have control over the sound EWQLSO is a great choice. I think these first demos say alot. EWQLSO is more CPU hungry than VSL because of the release trails, but saves you 125 million dollars in reverb expenditures.

If you want your music to sound like a big classical recording, or a small classical recording, or a Keith Johnson recording, or a Hollywood filmscore (a very good one)and get a sound that you will never get from any other library and have control over the sound EWQLSO is a great choice.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I asked for a small classical recording demo(chamber music setting) before the demo composers started their mission but my prayers weren\'t heard. Everybody wants the Hollywood sound and that\'s what we\'ve got, ten pieces of it. It\'s difficult to hear how instruments sound cos everything\'s going full throttle. I\'m a sucker for solo instruments. Hey, how does the QLSO concert flute? Honestly? I couldn\'t tell you even though I\'ve heard 11 demos. Ah well, maybe next time.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:
    ...but saves you 125 million dollars in reverb expenditures.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Damn, that\'s the last time I buy one of those 125 million dollar lexicon units.

Thanks, Nick for an excellent, fair and balanced comparison. The sentence I like the most is, \"control over the sound,\" because that\'s what QLSO is about, not that it doesn\'t do everything else well, but that this is its forte. Also, thanks for outlining how many machines you\'re using and the way you work. It\'s an excellent verbal demonstration that has initiated instant envy. Personally, thank you.

Thanx for the great info

Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:

[...] but saves you 125 million dollars in reverb expenditures.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">
    Originally posted by Peter Alexander:

Thanks, Nick for an excellent, fair and balanced comparison. [...]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">:-D

Originally posted by vaultcomplex:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:
    ...but saves you 125 million dollars in reverb expenditures.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Damn, that\'s the last time I buy one of those 125 million dollar lexicon units. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think Nick was trying to say you would have to hire a $125 million concert hall, like we did, to get this quality of reverb.

We have tried the best reverbs - both hardware and software (and own most them), and nothing compares to the natural sound of this hall.

Also, EWQLSO is very expressive, we have used programming methods you are used to. Our goal was to enable users to get a great result - quickly - since, for most busy professionals, time is money.

Take care,

Doug Rogers
    --------------------
    EASTWEST
    www.soundsonline.com

Go Back to forum