• Register
  • Help

Topic: Improved Chorale

Share/Bookmark

Improved Chorale

Due to the very supportive suggestions and observations provided by all, here is a new rendition of the Chorale – the erratic volume changes (made by my not doing it correctly) have been repaired.

https://www.box.com/s/393a9b6428640a81f77b

Re: Improved Chorale

I'll say it's improved!

I've got some pretty heavy-duty wattage, here, so I torqued this up on the big speakers. Very well done. Convincingly so. I also like the voicings (stops) you chose.

I'm going to make a few general suggestions if you'd like to take it further, Tom.

One of the common problems encountered when recording pipe organs is that the low end gets a little boomy. If you know how to do this, you might try rolling off the eq just a little on the low end. Also, if you have something like the old SIR convolution -- try also rolling off the reverb itself a little on the low end to preserve crispness and clarity in the bass.

I am also going to suggest something I almost never, ever do: a very little more reverb, overall. Pipe organs generally live in large, reverberating spaces, so you need to treat them differently than you would, say, a small ensemble, or even an orchestra. Pipe organ literature, in fact, is typically written to accommodate that very fact, so you can be a little more generous with the dimensionality of the space.

You might also consider some stop changes to develop sectional contrast -- though in a very short chorale like this, that's really not necessary.

Again, nice job on this, Tom -- a pleasure to hear.

All the best,

David
    ------
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Tom, I enjoyed this very much. I think it is effective as is and could be exceptional if you can apply David's suggestions. The counterpoint is very interesting and anything that keeps the overall aesthetic effect but makes it easier to follow the various voices would be good in my opinion.

Norman

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Due to the very supportive suggestions and observations provided by all, here is a new rendition of the Chorale – the erratic volume changes (made by my not doing it correctly) have been repaired.

https://www.box.com/s/393a9b6428640a81f77b

Tom, I congratulated you on your other thread about fixing the uneven volume issue. The solution made total sense, glad it was easy to implement.

David is 100% right about the need for rolling off the bass frequencies. I know you work in Finale, and don't do mastering work in an audio editor, but the build up of low frequencies does throw off most any recording using organs from any source, from live organs, to sampled libraries. If you had the free Audacity audio editor, it is supremely easy to fix this EQ situation - you just open the mix down in Audacity, insert an EQ plug-in, and turn down the bass.

Randy

Go Back to forum