• Register
  • Help

Topic: I need a Jazz trumpet sound

Share/Bookmark

I need a Jazz trumpet sound

Can somebody tell me which Jazz trumpet (Giga Format) is adequate for bebop runs and sectional fills in a big band. (Don\'t want an orchestral trumpet folks) This trumpet must handle very fast improvs as well as legato improvs..

tough question? Well let\'s hear from you Jazz experts..

Alan Russell

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: I need a Jazz trumpet sound

Originally posted by Alan Russell:
    Can somebody tell me which Jazz trumpet (Giga Format) is adequate for bebop runs and sectional fills in a big band. (Don\'t want an orchestral trumpet folks) This trumpet must handle very fast improvs as well as legato improvs..

tough question? Well let\'s hear from you Jazz experts..

Alan Russell
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There isn\'t one, is the short answer. Perhaps soon. VSL legato performance trumpet works best for now, but doesn\'t have the inflection set.

The best Jazz brass demo I\'ve heard so far is from Quantum Leap Brass, though that\'s done in a section style, rather than Dizzy\'s. Check it out, just in case it might work. I don\'t own it, so I don\'t know how well it would work in the real world.

When I think of Bop trumpet (Salt Peanuts anyone?), I think of quick stabs, slurred fast runs, odd intomations and really, really high notes. You might find some good stabs, and you might be able to use the pitch wheel for the off intonation. But Bruce may be onto something with the VSL performance set\'s legato function for the slurred fast runs. I wonder if you were to create a couple of bars of runs, if someone here might mock it up for you? I\'d hate for you to spend VSL sized $$$ in the hope that it might work.

Just don\'t write anything with over the top high notes. I haven\'t heard any trumpet library do that at all, let alone in a Jazz fasion.

Jon Fairhurst,

so now you realize why I keep thrusting onward with the small samples I curently have scoring loads of song-arrangements. Since cash is not an issue with me and sooner or later the reeds, brass etc..will surface from the catacombs of technology, I\'ll be ready as ever to invite them to my already scored notation. Eventhough they will need a change of articulation in real time, I\'ll have a pretty good idea of their survival at least on my staff line and style employed in my song-arrangements. This is the kind of excitement I look forward to.

BTW, My server has been down for the last two days...check out my latest in the mo-songs forum in motifator.com...........................

Alan Russell

Hey, Saxman:

I have QLB and have done a few things with it---although nothing lately as I received GOS right after getting QLB, and spent most of the winter learning that instead. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Here\'s a couple of segments from a \"70\'s cruise ship band plays disco\" piece I wrote. It is highly unpolished and lacks much finesse. The parts were programmed--nothing was played.

http://www.electrosolutions-usa.com/jk/lhdemprt.mp3

In the solo section QLB patches are:

TP stact fort MOD
    TP sus mf
    T sax exp
    TB jazz2 MOD
    TB sus/mf

The staccato TP was mixed with the TP sus mf. But upon listening to this for the first time in months, the staccato is a bit too strong. It kind kind of jumps out of the mix to bite the listener on the nose only to retreat so it can do it again later.

The T sax exp is faded in spots to reduce the vibrato, which is too deep in all the samples of this library.

The TB has a couple of cross fades and swells between the jazz2 and sus/mf to add slight dynamics.

In the outro:

3 TP ftmod (3 tp section)
    T sax fts (a short sforzando that gives the part a clucking sound, and now seems obnoxious)
    A sax leg sus
    TB ft MOD
    TB sus/mf

Again not a lot of fiddling in that section---just some swells on the TP. BTW, the trumpet trill in the end is programmed and not a trill patch.

In a turn around on \"music-minus-one\" I\'ve included three-minus-music. The horn passages are soloed with the rhythm muted. Weee, section rehearsal! That way you can hear the horns better. Notice the ambience in the samples. The ambience varies throughout the QLB library.

Some things I don\'t like about QLB:

Too many interpolated notes. It sounds like none of the instruments were 100% sampled for the library. Every instrument has clinkers that need to be massaged.

Sounds like average players were used to make the samples. This is most evident in all sax samples. The players were not skilled enough to overcome the inherent problems in playing sax: uneven intonation and timbre throughout the instruments range, and in some cases bad harmonic content. Alternate keying should have been used for some of the notes, instead standard fingering was used. Saxman, you know, all the things that make sax hard to play well.

Phasey sounding samples, most notable: bari, bone and a couple of trumpets.

Some things I like:

You get lots of stuff---5 CD\'s

Stem muted trumpets (think \"Witchcraft\").

Limited low register breathy sax. (Boots: \"Smoke gets in your eyes\")

Muted Miles patch.

The fact that the library is so raw that it takes to filtering, mixing and compressing rather well. So there is hope for me to be able to use it better as I learn more about it.

Sax falsettos. Got a really good Stanley Turentine immitation once doing two octave skips.

Tuba. Very good rumpff.

Impression on how to get good results:

Write limited range passages that are confined to a narrow region of a register. Pass off the phrase to another instrument. Then switch registers and continue the phrase with the starting instrument. That way many of the inconsistancies of the instrument can be kept hidden.

With regard to demos. Frankly, if the sample makers would include the midi files and patch list for their demos it would reveal how much engineering goes into making the demos sound so good.

Hope you find this helpful.

John

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by johnkay:
    With regard to demos. Frankly, if the sample makers would include the midi files and patch list for their demos it would reveal how much engineering goes into making the demos sound so good.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">About the same amount of engineering it takes to make anything sound good...

John,

thanks for the lengthy reply. Since I adore Brass and Reeds, My feeling here is if a sample of a brass or reed can stand out as a solo instrument to accomadate fast runs as well as ballads having a substance to the sound, then I\'ll take it in a flash. The trumpet that I am in search for must sound powerful in the upper registers Since I am a real time player, I can toy with the articualtion to get the most out of it.

thanks again,

Alan Russell

Go Back to forum