• Register
  • Help

Topic: R.I.P. Luciano Berio

R.I.P. Luciano Berio

The amazing composer Luciano Berio is no longer with us. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Details: http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2003-05-27-berio_x.htm

Re: R.I.P. Luciano Berio

Oh no! This is a sad day.

I fondly recall the first time I heard his Sinfonia for 8 Voices and Orchestra--performed by the Swingle Singers, of course. What an ear opener and a fun piece! Definitely a 20th-century classic!!! His Sequenza V for Trombone is also an amazing work. The same goes for Coro (brilliant!) and the Chemin series. Alas, I haven\'t been paying much attention to his more recent works (e.g., Rendering) or his new ending to Turandot. I guess it\'s time to augment my CD and score collections.

Sigh! A very sad day, indeed! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I feel like a lost a dear teacher of years past.

Yes, a sad day for modern music. He was one of the first three compopsers that really opened my ears to the possibilities beyond \'traditional\' harmony/melody.

Playing \"circles\" is one of the highlights of my brief performance career. Berio will be missed.

Not only a great composer with traditional instruments, but he was also a pioneer in electronic music research when it meant putting together huge primitive oscillators in the late \'50s early \'60s.

The Sequenza series are amazing. I am especially fond of the sequenzas for harp, flute, piano, bassoon and voice. I have a recording of Cathy Berberian performing the Sequenza for voice. It\'s very kinetic and as old as it is it still sounds quite contemporary with an avant-garde demeanor.

I\'m actually a big fan of the oboe sequenza. Also, the trombone sequenza is great.

Too bad he didn\'t write one for percussion.

I remember the Folk songs directed by him and performed by Katy Berberian,soprano,and Scarlatti orchestra in the end of \'80 (if i remember well)at RAI (Italian television brodcasting network)auditorium of Naples,IT .

Go Back to forum