• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Anyone here been fired from a film?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone here been fired from a film?

I mean a decent sized budget film (10 mil etc.)..... well I guess low and micro too.

Did it have much impact on getting your next job? Did anyone remember that you got fired?

Just curious?

Re: Anyone here been fired from a film?

Hmmm....anything you\'d like to tell us KID?

I can\'t remember which famous film composer said that you aren\'t a composer until you\'ve been fired from a film! It\'s a pretty famous quote, and it was probably from the \'70s (since I heard it when I was at Berklee around 1980).

Maybe it was Alex North, who got fired from 2001 and had his score replaced by the Blue Danube?

Doesn\'t everybody who works long enough in the film biz get fired eventually? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Ask any actor, editor, director, etc.

I wouldn\'t worry about it if I were you. People in the biz don\'t give a sh*t about composers until they really need them. So it\'s not like the production is going to call other producers in town and bad-mouth you or anything. And hey, it can be a good thing, because some projects are a living hell! The only time I was replaced on a feature turned out to be a good experience. The director was very un-communicative, the film never went anywhere, etc, etc.

Just be glad you didn\'t lose any of your own money (right?).

Believe I got some rejected scores from pretty famous composers. Must feel like **** if you\'ve written 70 minutes of music and then get disconnected from the project. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

/Tobias

You have to be able to trust your instincts when you\'re getting involved in any project. There\'s a need for you to \"audition\" the director and producer as well as they audition you. The worst case scenario is when you get caught in the middle between some sort of power struggle. It\'s a nightmare and there\'s no easy victory.

Just make sure that the checks are always one step ahead of the work due, so that if you get an early termination at least you\'re in good shape with your money.

I have lost a TV gig after about 5 episodes. There was a lot of miscommunication and odd things. It turned out to be a good thing because I demanded full pay for the work I had done upon termination. As it turns out I\'m one of the few who actually got paid at all. The company went belly up before finishing the show and the majority of cast and crew ended up empty handed. Had I remained on the job I would probably have had the same fate.

Nick -

North might have said it first, but I know Jerry Goldsmith to have spoken of having a score rejected is a sort of initiation.
    By the Way, it was good to meet you at the \"LANDS\" meeting.

Jerry Goldsmith has had several scores rejected. Jerry Goldsmith has also been the last minute replacement of
    rejected scores as well. The one that comes to mind is Air Force One, which was originally scored by Randy Newman, which was rejected. Seems weird that Randy Newman would get Air Force One in the first place. Go fig.
    Also, the most famous (or infamous) rejected score (or being \"fired\") has got to be Lalo Schifrin\'s Exorcist score. The story goes that Director William Friedkin called it a total piece of sh*t, and threw the 1/2\" reel out of the editing bay onto a busy street. Lalo\'s assistant ran out and saved the reel. It, of course, was recently released on CD by the studio, and is considered by many to be an absolutely brilliant score that was WAY ahead of it\'s time. A few years after Exocist, Lalo\'s rejected score was cut into Amityville Horror.
    To this day (including the re-release), Exorcist contains the original music of Michael Oldfield\'s opening riff to \"Tubular Bells\" looped and edited across the film.
    It\'s one of my favorite rejected score stories that several people have told me. It\'s also my favorite rejected score. Just thought I would share. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Furst wrote

Also, the most famous (or infamous) rejected score (or being \"fired\") has got to be Lalo Schifrin\'s Exorcist score. The story goes that Director William Friedkin called it a total piece of sh*t, and threw the 1/2\" reel out of the editing bay onto a busy street. Lalo\'s assistant ran out and saved the reel. It, of course, was recently released on CD by the studio, and is considered by many to be an absolutely brilliant score that was WAY ahead of it\'s time.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, Friedkin seems to be the brilliant one since he picked a tune from a nobody (in those days) named Oldfield and made a millionaire out of him.
    I\'m interested to hear that Lalo score, though.

------------
    Alex Cremers

There\'s many stories along these lines I guess. Speaking of Jerry Goldsmith, how about his score to \'Legend\'? Cited by many as one of his best, it was replaced in the US version at the request (or should I say demand) of the distributor by a score by Tangerine Dream.

You can still find two versions available today on video in the UK (not sure if it\'s out on DVD) with entirely different scores. The BBC showed it a few months ago with the Tangerine Dream score.

Even the edition with the Jerry Goldsmith score also contains cues from \'Alien\' and \'Psycho II\'. All in all a bit of a mess, but fortunately Silva Screen records released a very comprehensive CD of the Jerry Goldsmith score a few years ago.

Steve

Not to mention this weeks news of Alan Silvestri getting canned and replaced by Hans Zimmer on Jerry Bruckheimer\'s Pirates of the Carribean...just a few weeks before the release of the film. The Pirates trailers currently out have Alan\'s credits for the score.

that\'s the biz..eh?

spectrum

Go Back to forum