This is my first post on these forums. Amazing libraries, talented composers, dedicated sample library developers, and incredible demos. My respect to all of you. You guys are great.
I am a Mac user and I don\'t see a whole lot of Mac users in these forums doing the symphonic thing. I am trying to decide on purchasing either the EWQLSO (ambience is wonderful), or the VSL (incredible realism, legato) library. My goal is to run them on Macs. PC and Giga is not an option just at this time, but I am open to the future.
My current setup is an 800Mhz iMac (1 Gig RAM) that I use in OS9 or OSX for music apps. I think that this will be my sequencer. And 1 Ghz Powerbook (512 MB RAM) in OSX that I was hoping would be my OSX music computer. I was hoping to use the Powerbook as a sample player for either VSL or EWQLSO that would feed into my iMac sequencer.
I primarily use DP3 (switching to DP4), but am toying with Logic (I own Big Box) and switching to Logic 6 and ESX 24.
I am familiar with many of the issues on these forums re libraries, PC/MACs and such, but am still unclear on the big picture for the Mac platform.
My inclination is go with the EWQLSO first so I can get the ambient sound (I don\'t have a digital mixer, or any great reverbs). I one day also hope to work with VSL as well. I\'m not sure which library would be best for my current setup.
I hope some of you might have some advice regarding my questions.
1. How do I connect 2 Macs to get the multi-computer setups that the Giga guys have? I have 1 MOTU 828 interface. There don\'t appear to be any FXTransport types of programs for the Mac.
2. Can I run EWQLSO NI engine on OSX? If not, does that mean I cannot run EWQLSO on the OSX PB? Should I go with VSL for this reason?
3. The Powerbook has a 4200 rpm hard drive, I believe. Is this throughput fast enough for either VSL or EWQLSO to stream?
4. Will 1 Gig RAM on the PB enough for these libraries? How do I setup the PB for streaming?
5. The big question is how will VSL and EWQLSO perform on this moderate system of mine.
There are probably many half-newbies like me who need a lot of help getting these systems started and the ball rolling. Your help is appreciated in advance.
My dreams are bigger than my wallet and so I will not be able to do everything at once. Just taking one step at a time. Thanks in advance for your help.