• Register
  • Help

Topic: mp3's How do YOU do it?

mp3\'s How do YOU do it?

I create mp3 files via Vegas Video 4.0c.

I believe it is one of the best encoders out there. (Main Concept)

Audio: 48,100 Hz, 24 Bit, Stereo. 60 seconds.
    One minute of audio compresses to a file size of approximately 1.83 MB (about 5:1 compression)

256kbs Transparent Audio

What do you use?

Re: mp3\'s How do YOU do it?

I believe that codecs do not really differ in the amount of compression per streaming \"setting\" ... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think the Lame encoder is really good.
    The Razorlame GUI is also very simple and quick to use (file and folder dropping, etc).

I also have the old Fraunhofer \"producer\" codec, which is also really good, but once gave me compatibility problems with some players. No longer sure, but I believe it cannot handle the higher settings.

If are to make a top-10, I suggest we put iTunes on 11 [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I think the \"best\" really depends on source material.

I\'ve been using the one in wavelab mostly lately. Its where I do my two-track mastering

I\'ve used the one in Vegas as well

and Xing\'s which can sometimes sound \"better\" than the others, again depending on material.

I\'ll have to do more comparison\'s to remember which works best for what nowadays (since I\'m not really providing mp3\'s for finals at all anymore, just quick references)

I use Wavelabs built-in. Certainly seems to beat iTunes\' [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Using Samplitude, works great.

I also use the LAME encoder. I tested about 4 different encoders a while back, including Fraunhofer, Xing, Lame and I don\'t remember the others, and LAME sounded best to me on my music. In some cases there was quite a difference.

-- Martin

Hey guys, A question if I may. On top of this thread and Kirks recent flute discovery, there has been a discussion of mp3 encoding in the East/West (Sonic Implants?) area. In all of this, I haven\'t heard anyone discuss the new AAC comp that Itunes now has. I believe it\'s mpeg4, yes? There is a lot of discussion on Mac heavy sites but no mention here. I\'m curious if I were to post in that format would you guys be able to download and listen? The general consensus seems to be that quality wise, 128 in AAC equals about 160-192 in mp3. Anybody using it yet?

Francis, I am personally using itunes at 160 vbr. Have to keep my files kinda small as my site is a freebie from my isp with a piddling allowance. Would Lame really be be a better way to go?

thanks fellas

Francis, I would love to get my mitts on that flute. Still available?

Tell me what you like about it ... This is all a learing tool for me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Give me a half hour to get the Giga file up at my server.

using lame codec here.. works for me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum