• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: QLSO, beginner library?

Share/Bookmark

QLSO, beginner library?

Seems to me that anyone starting out, QLSO would not be a good lib to start with. I myself am starting out, and I\'m guessing for the average person $3k is a large chunk out of anyones pocket.

Now on TOP of that, your telling me I have to have 6 computers to run the library properly and stably? I currenty have 2 PCs running, and the thought of spending 3 grand on QLSO PLUS buying another $5000 worth (4 comps) of computers is just mind boggling. Is there no way to run this lib on maybe 3 comps?

Forgive me if I am sounding abit cheap to some of you...

Will

Re: QLSO, beginner library?

Originally posted by wmusser:
    Seems to me that anyone starting out, QLSO would not be a good lib to start with. I myself am starting out, and I\'m guessing for the average person $3k is a large chunk out of anyones pocket.

Now on TOP of that, your telling me I have to have 6 computers to run the library properly and stably? I currenty have 2 PCs running, and the thought of spending 3 grand on QLSO PLUS buying another $5000 worth (4 comps) of computers is just mind boggling. Is there no way to run this lib on maybe 3 comps?

Forgive me if I am sounding abit cheap to some of you...

Will
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Will,

You can run this library on one computer, but not if you want to access it all at once, nor can you do this with VSL, or any large library.

I\'m obviously biased, but I believe it would be the best investment you could ever make, if you are a serious.

Doug Rogers
    --------------------
    EASTWEST
    www.soundsonline.com

I\'m sorry to say, but you are sounding cheap. If you want to play with big boy toys, you need to shell out the bucks for big boy toys. It\'s like crying that you want a BMW or a Jaguar, but only willing to pay the price for a Ford Festiva. You have to pay the bucks if you want QUALITY. There are much cheaper alternatives, but the sound is also going to sound cheap too. I mean, if you had another profession you wanted to start like a machine shop, would you whine how much a lathe is too? I promise you, they aren\'t cheap.

The thought of spending around $10k for a full orchestra, be it VSL, QLSO, Dan Dean, Garritan, etc etc etc, that is so CHEAP in comparison of what we had to spend 5 years ago and not even come CLOSE to getting that quality! I\'ve spent multiple times over that amount on my studio over the years. I\'m sure several here have spend several hundred thousand on their studios over the years.

In short, there\'s consumer and professional tools. If you want pro equipment, be prepared to pay pro dollars. You can always take out loans and work for it. I know I had to.

Devon

Devon,

Ok, sorry, guess I\'m too amateur to play with the BIG BOY tools...

Will

Excuse me, big boy \"toys\".

Will

Originally posted by DevonB:
    The thought of spending around $10k for a full orchestra, be it VSL, QLSO, Dan Dean, Garritan, etc etc etc, that is so CHEAP in comparison of what we had to spend 5 years ago and not even come CLOSE to getting that quality! I\'ve spent multiple times over that amount on my studio over the years. I\'m sure several here have spend several hundred thousand on their studios over the years.Devon
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So you remember the $350,000 Synclavier too!!

Take care,

Doug Rogers
    -------------------
    EASTWEST
    www.soundsonline.com

These are the kinds of attitudes that push people away from NS. Remember, not everyone here is making big bucks in the industry (or from some other job). Some people are here students or hobbyists with a tight budget.

wmusser, you\'re not being cheap. I can understand the sticker shock you\'re going through.. but you get what you pay for. If you want a simple orchestra that sounds so-so, grab Advanced Orchestra for around $400-450. Buying VSL or EWQLSO for $3000\'ish will get you top of the line.

Check out the various demos around the web. If you decide you REALLY want VSL or EWQLSO, then all I can say is, start saving up. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

buy it in parts thats what i am going to do.
    i am flipping coins between strings or brass
    first.
    listen to those demos again 3+k is fine with me.

Thanks Sam and Mike,

See, its not the 3k library thats killing me, its the fact of having to buy the 6 machines. I know not all of you guys out there running VSL are not using 6 machines, right?

I\'m already using GOS, LOP SAM, RI, and World Winds amongst 2 machines. Thinking of buying VSL or QLSO, and acquiring an extra machine. Is that doable? So 3 machines total...

Will

The machines are convenience. The more you have, the more you can do in realtime without bouncing and multitracking but that doesn\'t mean you can\'t work with that. It\'ll be slower but if time\'s on your side that wont matter - its just a different way of working and may even make you more cautious and careful when programming which might not be a bad thing.

I bought a laptop a while back with Cubase SL and Halion on so I could do some stuff away from the studio and I can still happily churn out big orchy arrangements on it. Except, I don\'t have to be overheating with a load of computers around me to do it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ignore all that big boys tools crap.

Go Back to forum