• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: allison in green (string quartet)

Share/Bookmark

allison in green (string quartet)

I have received a lot of advice over the past few months from forum members and I have tried to incorporate the helpful tips into this piece. (panning, dynamics, tempo etc.) I have tried real hard to keep "POPS" out of the render. I think there are no pops or crackles in this, but honestly, I have mentioned this before that my hearing really is not all that great and as hard as I try, I often cannot hear some of those anomalies even after someone gives me the exact location in the audio track. Maybe I should get myself a GIANT EAR HORN. Anyway, this uses the Stradivari, Gofriller and GPO violin and viola. Please give it a listen and tell me what you think.
    Thanks, Jay.

www.jesse.us.com/allison.mp3

Re: allison in green (string quartet)

Hi Jay,

I got my ears in 1952 and they've taken a lot of miles since then, so I'm decidedly not the fellow to ask about sound. But to me, this sounded fine -- including the venue: clear, clean, and as intimate as one might expect for the ensemble. Perhaps a touch more reverb? (I know I almost never say that... lol.)

The piece itself -- another evidence of your versatility -- is lovely... piquant while remaining poignant; engaging, well formed, and well executed.

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David. Thanks for listening and the positive comments. I like to try out different styles of music just to see what I can do with them. I really want to do something with a bigger sound. I just have to jump in and do it and see what happens. By the way, my ears are older than your ears.
    Thanks. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    ...I think there are no pops or crackles in this, but honestly, I have mentioned this before that my hearing really is not all that great and as hard as I try, I often cannot hear some of those anomalies...
    First off, these old ears (older than David's!) can detect no pops or crackles - all sounds smooth. Out of interest, I opened the file in Sound Forge to take a look at the waveform. All looks great - It could have been brought up some in volume, you have plenty of unused head room. But better to be a little under instead of crunching into that horrible red realm of digital distortion.

This is really an extremely effecting piece - I've saved it, I love it. And so expressively played - You're using two of the best virtual instruments ever developed, anywhere, by anyone, - the Garritan Stradivari and Gofriller, so that helps immensely with the quality - but you understand so well how to play those instruments. I really admire the organic sound of every instrument's performance in this.

And the gentle poignancy of the music is wonderful.

Jay, you've had great assistance from Jim Snyder and SysExJohn in starting the Listening Room Festival off with a bang, but your contribution holds up the banner just as strongly and proudly. THANK YOU for posting this, - and for everything you keep sharing with us here.

Randy

Thanks Randy. I am glad that you liked it enough to save. Working on the final dynamics worked much better after the advice you had previously given me. I did not add any reverb until all other editing was completed. I also panned each instrument.(I unfortunately have not done a lot with that in the past, but plan to make it a priority from this point on).
    Garritan strad and gofer are incredible samples. I enjoy working with them.
    As always, thanks for you input. Jay

This piece is so nice. I am still so envious of those people who have the original cello and violins from the past. These are such amazing tools.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    This piece is so nice. I am still so envious of those people who have the original cello and violins from the past. These are such amazing tools.
    Yes, they really are - And it's not just that they're great sample sets, but the complex programming that went into them - Amazing amount of control you have with those. Man oh man it was sad they were on the shelf so briefly. And what went wrong exactly is still a mystery - We've always just conjectured about ownership disputes, but outsiders will never really know the full story. Two of The Greatest software instruments ever made--period.

Randy

Instruments sound great. Once the ear warms up to them (it always takes me a while to warm up to non real strings), it's at the point where the fact that it is not a live performance can be put aside, and the music can be simply enjoyed for what it is, with out the usual annoying reminders that exist in so many renderings to pull us away from the music, and remind us it is done on a computer. Well done! I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

jdsnyderii! I am glad that you enjoyed my piece. I remember buying the strad and gofriller at a bargain price. I figured they were to be discontinued and replaced with a full string library at some point. That has not happened for some business reason or another. If garritan/makemusic ever get around to putting out a string library of the same caliber as the strad and gofer, I will jump on it in a heartbeat.

Hey Randy! I agree that strad and gofriller are the best solo string instruments out there because of the control that one has over the sound. Maybe something will jar loose in the garritan business world and they will come out will the full string library. We can only hope.

Michael! I appreciate the fact that you enjoyed this. I would love to have my string music played by good musicians in a good room. For now, I need to rely on string samples to hear my efforts. I must say though, that garritan samples are of a high quality, and they have helped me realize my ideas.

Thanks to you all for listening and commenting. Jay

Hello Jay, this is a great quartet here. It sounds like this could easily be as if it were an intimate performance in a small chamber theater. My first listen through, it suddenly cut-off, and I thought you had completely chopped off the end! It turned out to be an issue with the player, though, and not the recording itself . Mind if I ask where the title originated?

Really enjoyed this one!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast