• Register
  • Help

Topic: Repost from the Past : Maid with the Flaxen Hair...

Share/Bookmark

Repost from the Past : Maid with the Flaxen Hair...

When I heard DPDAN's Meditations from Thias, it inspired me to try my own had at a high quality MIDI mock up. Debussy's Maid with the Flaxen Hair is a blast from my MIDI mock-up past. You can hear the original at Navona Records. I was pretty happy with the Strings. With a bit of work, the GPO4 strings can come out pretty nice.

The clarinet is JABB3 if my memory is still good.

Jim

Re: Repost from the Past : Maid with the Flaxen Hair...

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    ... Debussy's Maid with the Flaxen Hair is a blast from my MIDI mock-up past. You can hear the original at Navona Records. I was pretty happy with the Strings. With a bit of work, the GPO4 strings can come out pretty nice.
    The clarinet is JABB3 if my memory is still good.
    Jim
    And The Listening Room Festival is in full swing!

Thank you so much, Jim, for jumping in and starting things off. I really had no idea how people would respond to my simple idea - Now I'm pleased to see it started such a good discussion over at General Discussion, and that you liked it so much that you went straight to business and started posting.

Earlier I responded to your "Star Trek" post - now I've just had a sublime time enjoying your meticulous but natural sounding rendition of "Maid." It's superb. I've already said sublime - you did complete justice to Debussy's dreamy, beautiful piece.

AND I'm so glad you say here that "...the GPO4 strings can come out pretty nice..." YES indeed - and if anyone needs an aural illustration, all they need to do is listen to your recording. The GPO strings are really all I use, they're fine with me - and I really don't quite get this endless search some people go through to get "better and better" strings - What are they doing?-- Why aren't they just focusing on their music, and looking forward to the day when a live string section may play their work? I think the yearning for constantly "better" software is a diversion that keeps people from focusing on what they should be focusing on - and they do it because they're actually more dissatisfied with their music than they are with their software. Easier to chase after the elusive magic software than get tough with themselves and knuckle down to writing.

You included the link to Richard Stoltzman's rendition of this piece--because that's the one you patterned your recording on, I mean, you used that rather directly as your model?- When I went to the page, I thought I'd accidentally triggered your Box MP3 again, it sounded so much the same!---note to Stoltzman's web page designer - Most people don't like it when music automatically starts on page load. There was no way to control the playback, other than the volume control, and then the MP3 started over on a loop - not appreciated.

THANKS for this superb post, Jim - I'm beyond impressed with your results.

Randy

Jim! One cannot argue with your material choice on this. Debussy's music is without a doubt some of the finest ever composed and your rendition of it is great. I know that you did this a while back, but I think the clarinet could have used some legato touches to it. Outside of that, this is a wonderful listen. Thanks for sharing, Jay

Hello Jim, I don't believe I caught this the first time around, so I am glad you have posted it again. I typically do not have the best judgement when it comes to actual rendering quality, and I certainly admire those who are willing to put the time into every minute detail that is typically thought/expressed by multiple musicians at performance time. I did take the time to listen to both your version and the live version, and I agree with Randy in that they sound extremely similar, so well done!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Beautifully done, Jim -- one of my favorite Debussy pieces, as well.

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum