• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT: The Listening Room Summer Festival!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up ANNOUNCEMENT: The Listening Room Summer Festival!

In General Discussion, a new topic quickly inspired a still-mushrooming string of replies:

An idea: A Listening Room Festival

The concept is simple - We all pitch in to make The Listening Room the hub of activity it used to be. Guidelines from bygone years when this Forum was much more active no longer apply to the current traffic flow. That essentially means that it no longer makes sense for someone to wait weeks on end between posting music when he'd like to be posting more often.

Now, the festival has begun!

Jim Snyder "jdsnyderii" launched the event with two pieces starting with:

Star Trek Theme--All Garritan

SysExJohn has finally made his Listening Room debut with:

Beneditus from Haydn's Miss in Angustiis

And Jay "jaynkate01" has posted a new string quartet piece:

Allison in Green

Now let's keep things going! Post new pieces, re-post things from before the time of many current Forum members, - and post often!

Though people have a variety of reasons for posting music, ranging from simply wanting to share, to wanting suggestions about their compositions, or with their mixes - there's ONE EASY RULE:

--Music posted should include instruments from the Garritan Libraries.* This is the Garritan Forum, and our main topic is Garritan. It only makes sense that music features the instruments we all have in common.

--To avoid confusing our listeners, please list the specific names of any non-Garritan instruments included in a track.

Please take a look at the General Discussion thread posted above. A number of sub-topics came up worthy of thought and discussion.

* Some details on a major sub-topic brought up in General:

There are people with music they would like feedback on, but their recordings don't always use Garritan instruments. Finding bulletin boards where it's productive to post music is very difficult. Ideally, it would be nice if these kinds of non-Garritan recordings could also be posted here.

DPDAN has a logical idea that he posted on the above thread. He suggested that if someone has a non-Garritan piece that he really wants to post, then in that piece's thread starter, the OPENING SENTENCE should list all the specific non-Garritan used, so everyone viewing the thread knows immediately what they'll be hearing.

There's no way for any guidelines to be enforced. It generally works for people to simply be trusted to conduct themselves in a civil, community oriented way that always demonstrates respect for our host, Gary Garritan.

So naturally it's hoped that this suggested guideline for posting non-Garritan recordings is followed and not ignored if someone really must post something done with no Garritan instruments. It's obviously going to be easier if for the most part, we continue only posting music that does use Garritan. But DAN's suggestion is very good, so please keep his idea in mind.

Opinions vary on all aspects of how this Forum is conducted. Some people think music here should have Garritan comprise the major bulk of instruments used in a piece. Others feel that a more literal reading of Gary's request is all that's needed. Gary Garritan says in his "Welcome to the Listening Room" post:

"...We ask that if you post music here that at it uses some of the sounds of our libraries. This makes sense since it is a Garritan Forum and we want to focus on our user's music..."

There really can't ever be universal agreement on that topic, and others. But the main point of this Festival is clear - We want to shake things up, and wake the Forum up. The more people posting music, and posting often, and ALSO taking the time to post replies to each other - the more exciting these pages will be.

One final note:

It only makes sense that if we expect people to listen and comment on music we've posted, that we in turn, listen to and comment on other people's music. It's surprising when someone fairly regularly posts music but never seems to post comments for other people.

Once we start responding to other people, naturally enough, we'll have engendered a better community spirit, and we'll find people more willing to post replies on our own threads.

Not everyone can take the time to listen to everything posted here, though I find that an easy routine to maintain. I just want to encourage people to start taking more time to post replies, even if it's just to say, "Hey! I had a listen - Thanks for posting."

That alone would make our Listening Room more alive with activity.

The Festival has begun!

Randy

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: The Listening Room Summer Festival!

"... A Festivus for the rest of us"

Oops, sorry ... wrong episode!

Actually, a nice Summer idea to infuse a little juice here ... I look forward to hearing some of the great music of days gone by. I may even dig up one of my oldies as so many current forum members probably never heard some of this legacy stuff.

Great idea, Randy!

Frank

(Oh, yeah, where do I put the pole? ... and when can we air our grievences?)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    ...I may even dig up one of my oldies as so many current forum members probably never heard some of this legacy stuff...(Oh, yeah, where do I put the pole? ... and when can we air our grievences?)

Do that, Frank!--Dig up some stuff our current members aren't aware of - Let's get this place swingin' again!

Randy

I think this will be great! I have a few compositions I can share over the next week. I have been pretty busy with Garritan Instant Orchestra.

Yea Randy!
    That's a good idea! Throw off the restrictions, throw open the doors, let Freedom ring!!
    Now I ponder, what to post next????

sd cisco

Just in case anyone has missed it from all the new posts...here is a friendly bump
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    Just in case anyone has missed it from all the new posts...here is a friendly bump
    Thanks, Michael - My turn to bump it again. The results are spectacular - the Festival is in major full swing - I want it to keep up!

Randy

What a fine idea!

Bump!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    What a fine idea!

Bump!

Best,
    David
    Glad you like, David - Thanks for the bump - and here we go bumping again!

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast