• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My Solace - Garritan Steinway solo piano.

Share/Bookmark

My Solace - Garritan Steinway solo piano.

I have been saving this for a rainy day I guess; since it has been raining so much here in Texas, I thought is was time to post it. I just had this in my head and got it out the first day I got the Steinway. I am still just so impressed how nice this piano is. Thanks to all the Garritan team for such a nice instrument. Since I cannot fit a Steinway in my house, this is next best thing.

My Solace

Jim

Re: My Solace - Garritan Steinway solo piano.

IMO, one of the best instruments Garritan has. It has such a lovely mellow, realistic sound.

Absolutely wonderful composition you have. Thanks for posting!

You have quite a lot of clipping, which sounds very bad. You might want to fix that.
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Just gorgeous. This made my evening, Jim.

Bravo! -- but said softly, not to break the magic.

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael135 View Post
    IMO, one of the best instruments Garritan has. It has such a lovely mellow, realistic sound.

Absolutely wonderful composition you have. Thanks for posting!

You have quite a lot of clipping, which sounds very bad. You might want to fix that.
    Well, yes there is some of that in there. There is a lesson here for all you MIDI users out there. I made the mistake of recording the audio on this instead of the MIDI, and the volume level was accidentally a bit too high. Needless to say the audio is the audio :-(

Now I have to transcribe what I played to get the MIDI back. So, the lesson here when you record, make sure you check your settings :-)

But thanks for the listen and the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Just gorgeous. This made my evening, Jim.

Bravo! -- but said softly, not to break the magic.

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thank you David. I also am looking forward to hearing some posts from you (Hint Hint).

Simply beautiful.

The result? ... Goose pimples!

John.

Jim! This is a beautiful piece and very aptly named. The performance interpretation of this is also excellent.
    A very nice post. Thanks for the share. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    I have been saving this for a rainy day I guess; since it has been raining so much here in Texas, I thought is was time to post it. I just had this in my head and got it out the first day I got the Steinway. I am still just so impressed how nice this piano is. Thanks to all the Garritan team for such a nice instrument...
    ...I made the mistake of recording the audio on this instead of the MIDI, and the volume level was accidentally a bit too high. Needless to say the audio is the audio. Now I have to transcribe what I played to get the MIDI back. So, the lesson here when you record, make sure you check your settings...
    I need to echo some descriptors posted by others - "beautiful" "gorgeous" "magic." With admiration, I concur. There's nothing else like the sound and feel of a solo piano expressively played as it is in your "Solace," Jim. And with the intimate sound of the recording, the image is complete of you playing at a Steinway in a darkened room, late at night, just the the piano light gently illuminating the keyboard. I, the listener, just happen to be there, quietly sitting in a shadow and you don't know I'm there as you play the keys.

So nice!

The Steinway - At this point in time, we need to say "the late, great and lamented Steinway." Earlier this month the official statement was sent out that The Garritan Authorized Steinway has been discontinued. Nevermore. -- If that's news to anyone reading this thread, rest assured that in the same statements from the Garritan team, the announcement was made of new Garritan pianos well into development. There will be new instruments under the Garritan brand we all love and trust - and note that the announcement mentioned pianos, plural - !

You recorded this live!-- Really interesting! - I haven't thought of a software instrument being recorded that way in a very long time. Years ago it was more common for hardware synths to be used that way - Turn it on, set your patch, play and/or record.

The pitfalls of recording that way are clear. You're stuck with however the audio turns out, and you no note data, no MIDI! - This wouldn't be news to you, but of course the way to avoid those problems is to just set your software to record on a MIDI track with the metronome off, let it run, even if you sit there for minutes at a time not playing anything. Just play live in the same way, then later you can look at the stream of data, pick out what you want, and bounce to audio at a level you can test before the bounce.

Instead of your advice to "check your settings" - my strong recommendation would be to Always record with MIDI, so you have full control of the audio later on.

HOWEVER
    - The other reason I included the quote about recording this straight to audio is that there was mention of clipping - even that there was "quite a lot" and that it "sounds very bad."

---What--?-- It worries me when something like that is reported that I can find no trace of.

Curiosity led me to download the MP3 from Box and import it into Sound Forge. In that audio editor, I could see that there are absolutely No clipping spikes on this. I even ran that automatic Detect Clipping filter to double check - nothing. I could see right there in the display that there is, in fact, plenty of head room in this track. All of the peak transients still have head room above them. I spot checked again, playing each section with the highest volumes - No Clipping. Guaranteed - nothing of the sort that I could either hear or see.

---See why that could concern me?--The only reason I can think of that someone might mistakenly think there's clipping is if they played the track back at a level higher than their speakers can handle, in which case Anything would distort and "clip."If this was my recording, and someone gave me feedback that it needed to be fixed, I would have No way to proceed - nothing on my computer would be able to guide me since playback is smooth, and all audio meters show me thre's no clipping.

I have to conclude that the report on clipping is incorrect, and that simply an over-cranked volume knob is to blame for the report.

Very nice music, Jim!

Randy

Thanks very much Randy. When I listen to this recording I am still amazed I can do this at home.

I think that when the audio recorded in Aria player, it did have digital (i.e. volume) clipping, but the way it deals with it is to "cap" the volume. So, the effect sounds like it is clipping. But, the weird thing is when I was playing it, I could not hear the clipping so it was only in the audio recording.

There are a few spots where it sounds "buzzy" like a guitar player not quite hitting the fret right. This is what some of the others commented on, and I hear it too. It may not actually be clipping, but it did get chopped from a volume perspective...maybe we need a new word for it :-)

Anywhoo, I am glad you like the piece. Sometimes we get lucky and pieces like this just show up in our heads unannounced.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    ...There are a few spots where it sounds "buzzy" like a guitar player not quite hitting the fret right. This is what some of the others commented on, and I hear it too. It may not actually be clipping, but it did get chopped from a volume perspective...maybe we need a new word for it...
    Hi, Jim - You made me take another, more critical listen. I turned up the volume and watched the piece play in Sound Forge.

OK, yes, I hear the problem spots that I couldn't hear before. My first listen was with my headphones at a fairly low level, and I wasn't catching any problems. And then, as I reported, I couldn't see any actual Clipping on the wave form.

Right - that's not clipping, but it is digital distortion. Any "capping" of the volume isn't done in ARIA though, must be in your recording program. Interesting - If I have anything too loud, it just goes into the red and peaks out. Not sure why that's different for me.

But here's the map of distortion spots as I heard them just now:

2:03
    2:08
    2:15
    2:36
    2:39
    2:58

Yep - Glad the mystery was cleared up for me. AND, I want to underline that the solution is to Always record with MIDI. It wouldn't harm your creative flow - you just set a MIDI track to record instead of an Audio track. Minimize the program if you want to really just forget about recording as you play. Then you can later have complete control over the audio when you bounce to audio.

Thanks for the clarification!

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast