• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A sampler for an upcoming project

Share/Bookmark

A sampler for an upcoming project: Featuring GWL

Hello everyone! I would like to first off state that these (with a few exceptions) are not finished tracks, and are for the most part sketches/stylistic concepts for the finished product.

What are these for? A friend is making an 8bit, RPG game and asked if I could do the music. It's only a "for fun" project, but it's great practice, as well as a boatload of fun.

So as not to clutter up the listening room, I'll post my pieces here. Not all of them have Garritan instruments in them, as they are not final versions of the tracks, and are still in "construction/experimental" phase. The final versions will almost all feature various Garritan World instruments used both to add accents for an ethnic sound and solo passages as needed. Before each track I'll list what I used on it, to the best of my memory.

To kick things off, a big fanfare concept piece. I actually was asked if this could be used for a video presentation my brother was doing, so there was not much time to edit it as much as I would have liked, but I'm fairly pleased for only 48hours to work with.

Hollywood Strings, Hollywood Brass, EWQLSO Gold

http://soundcloud.com/michael-m-1/sh...hestral-sketch

Sketch for the main theme of the game. It's still really rough, but has since really started to evolve into some very lovely material to work with, which I'll be posting shortly once it's more complete.

Hollywood Strings, EWQLSO Gold

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/35108659/Dream Cloud Title Rough.mp3

Trailer-ish thing testing out the Garritan World Shepards flute.

Hollywood Brass, SD2, GWL

http://soundcloud.com/michael-m-1/trailer-concept

Possible town theme, very rough rendering

Hollywood Strings, Hollywood Brass, GWL

http://soundcloud.com/michael-m-1/dr...wn-theme-small

Castle town theme sketch

EWQLSO, GWL, Custom Recorder patch (I think you can still find it on these forums...), Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra (also availbe for free)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/35108659/Dream Cloud/Castle Town.wav

Still have a ton of work to do on this, as these are only a small sampling of what is to come. Hope you enjoyed some of what I have. Can't wait to really dig in and start incorporating GWL (which is a BLAST to work with) once the project is a little farther along, and I figure out the right "sound" the guy making the game is looking for. Please let me know what you think!

Best,
    Michael

Oh, Randy, I hope to have a detailed discussion about reverb, and instrument spacing with you sometime later on. I know you spend a lot of time to create convincing and realistic "spaces" in your renderings, and I would greatly value your input once it comes time to add that to my project.
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Re: A sampler for an upcoming project

Michael!

#1 - THANK YOU for going ahead and joining in on this Listening Room Festival. It's a roaring success thanks to people like you who are going for it.

#2 - THANK YOU also for clearly letting us know what non-Garritan instruments were used. That keeps things clear, and gives Forum members the go-ahead on posting their non-Garritan work if they'd like fellow Forum members to listen and give feedback. Works for me!

#3 - Goodness but you're a lad with a budget! Hollywood Strings, EWQLSO Gold, Hollywood Brass - ! (--and then there's the free Sonatina Orchestra which a lot of us have. Really nice set of samples, but I submit that one can get better results with GPO - offered as an aside. And the free Recorder SFZ instrument that was posted here some time ago - I have that, and it's very nice - but I submit the recorders in World are better sounding and more flexible.)

#4 - Last I recall, you were studying music at a university - Are you still there? If so, well actually even if you're not, I give you an A+ on the piece I just listened to, the first one labeled "Short Orchestral Sketch."

The sound is excellent. It doesn't sound to me like you need any tips on using reverb (which you asked me about in your closing paragraph). And the piece itself, a bit Williamesque, as mentioned on the Soundcloud page, and arranged so effecitvely. Your friend who's developing the game has to be pretty stoked about the music you're composing for him.

BIG round of applause!

I have a lot of music to listen to this morning, so I've only listened to track 1 so far. I think you shouldn't worry about "cluttering up the Forum" with multiple posts. That's the whole point of this Festival - to get a lot more music up here. And it can be overwhelming to open a post and see a list of MP3s instead of one. I think it would be much better to put up one at a time, and you'd be more likely to get responses.

Thanks again, Michael, for accepting the invitation to post what you've been working on.

Randy

Hey Randy,

Thanks for listening! It took a few summers of hard work and saving up to be able to get the software I have, but man was it ever worth it. I bought it with the idea of it being a long term investment, since the samples are good enough now that a realistic (at least good enough to please my picky ears) rendering can be achieved, and they'll still sound great years from now. The hollywood strings/brass and symponic orchestra are my main "Orchestral backdrop", but man oh man do I ever have fun mixing in the other stuff. It's amazing how good world library sounds with them, and how much more realistic (I suppose if the ear thinks that one part is real, it's possibly more willing to accept the whole is real?) they sound when used in conjunction. Truly a testament to how well Garritan products work with other software.

I'm still at a university, but I decided I didn't wish to pursue music professionally, as I couldn't bring my self to write in the styles that are needed to sell. I changed to Environmental science, but am still working at music on the side, with the hopes that it may still some day lead somewhere. I figured it's a little more practical to teach your self music, and have a degree in science, rather than the other way around.

I'm glad you liked the piece so much! As for the sound quality, I got it to the "good enough to finish" stage, but due to time constraints couldn't go much beyond that. The brass and strings I feel certainly can be much better (the software is very flexible, therefore, lots and lots of editing go into shaping the sound), and the dynamics could perhaps be a bit more varied. However, like most of us, I'm sure that my own piece sounds the worst to my self, and that this is just nit picking now. lol I'm actually fairly happy with the reverb on this one, but I STILL haven't quite captured the sound I'm going for. Parts of it sound very good to me, while others lack the depth I want, and the instruments still feel slightly out of place. I'll elaborate on this another time. And yes, the guy who's making the game is pretty excited about this. lol

I think I'll take your suggestion of splitting up some of these into different posts. I was worried, as you said, that people might be a bit intimidated by so many links at once. Again, really glad you enjoyed it. The other ones aren't nearly as polished as that one, but I think most people here will find them enjoyable, and hopefully be able to offer feedback on them.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Hello Michael! I must have missed this one right as the festival was starting! It must've slipped passed the first page quite quickly.

These are absolutely great! I can hear you have a knack for that whole melody business thing music-folk always seem to talk about...

I particularly enjoyed what you had for the main theme, except for the part where it ended in the mid-

Can't wait to hear when it's finished!

Really stellar writing here, I do hope more people have the chance to listen to this!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Sorry I didn't see your response. The past few weeks have been rough with a new job that leaves me rather exhausted by the end of the day.

I have so, so, so much work to do on these before they're done. The Hollywood libraries are a lot like the GPO to work with, and man oh man do they take a lot of gentle tweaking to get them to sound their best. (looooooooots of CC editing) This is probably a year or so in the making, considering the time it's going to take to compose, orchestrate, and sequence it. (Sequencing hell for these things... yuck) Oh well, good things don't come easy.

Glad you enjoyed it. I'll keep posting samplers of it as I make progress.

Thanks for the bump Randy!

Twitter

Soundcloud

Michael:
    +1 for SAVING UP, WORKING HARD, and buying your libraries. As a college professor, I wish I could see more of my
    students who worked hard and saved up for things they really wanted.

+1 for your college decision. You can still take music electives as you see fit.
    The best thing about having a "day gig" is this--if someone calls me for something
    I don't want to do, I can say no and not have to worry about eating. I also don't have
    to be out on crazy nights like New Year's Eve. Are there things I missed by not taking
    music courses? Certainly, but I caught up on them by readinig and practicing and/or
    looking at the piano player's hands. Did I gain much from my study of foreign language
    and business? You bet!

+1 on the style--the pieces I heard are very accessible and well crafted.

+1 on the realization.

Ok, man, that's +4. That's the max per single post; I don't go all the way to 11.

Well done!
    Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Some excellent work in these, Michael! As you say, a "sampler" -- and one delight
    after another, at that. (I'm fond of Whitman's Samplers, by the way... hint... rofl!)

You've got an able hand at coming up with strong, engaging thematic material, as
    well as a certain steadiness and solidity in the arranging of it without overpowering
    the material with too much clutter.

Stay the course -- you're on a good path.

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

My deepest appologies for missing these two replies! It's been a crazy few weeks with the start of the fall semester, and it seems a few things slipped by unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    Michael:
    +1 for SAVING UP, WORKING HARD, and buying your libraries. As a college professor, I wish I could see more of my
    students who worked hard and saved up for things they really wanted.

+1 for your college decision. You can still take music electives as you see fit.
    The best thing about having a "day gig" is this--if someone calls me for something
    I don't want to do, I can say no and not have to worry about eating. I also don't have
    to be out on crazy nights like New Year's Eve. Are there things I missed by not taking
    music courses? Certainly, but I caught up on them by readinig and practicing and/or
    looking at the piano player's hands. Did I gain much from my study of foreign language
    and business? You bet!

+1 on the style--the pieces I heard are very accessible and well crafted.

+1 on the realization.

Ok, man, that's +4. That's the max per single post; I don't go all the way to 11.

Well done!
    Snor
    Thanks Snor! Glad to see someone else took a simmilar path, and decided to do music on the side, while going after a job that will actually make money. I much rather composing of my own free will, rather than having someone else tell me what to do, and when to do it, and how much time I have to do it.

I'm glad that enjoy my style. I've had many people tell me that they like my style of music, which is fairly heavily influenced by video game and film music. I try for something that is a bit of a blend, but those elements always seem to sneak in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Some excellent work in these, Michael! As you say, a "sampler" -- and one delight
    after another, at that. (I'm fond of Whitman's Samplers, by the way... hint... rofl!)

You've got an able hand at coming up with strong, engaging thematic material, as
    well as a certain steadiness and solidity in the arranging of it without overpowering
    the material with too much clutter.

Stay the course -- you're on a good path.

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Hi David, thank you for listening, and your kind words. I always put a lot of work into trying to have a good arrangement. John Williams is my main inspiration for being able to have a solid melody and arrangement, while having all the individual lines strong and clear, with out being cluttered. So much work goes into parts you hardly even notice, but man do you notice them if they aren't well written! Still have a lot to do here, but hopefully it will be done by sometime later next year. ( I hope... ) lol

Twitter

Soundcloud

Michael135,

I thoroughly enjoyed the compositions. To my ears, the tracks are extremely clean, balanced and well-orchestrated (in fact, you've inspired me to work on this skill for myself). I also particularly like your use of thematic material as opposed to solely atmospheric music. The themes transported me to a world filled with dragons, castles, lords, peasants, knights and oh so many goblins. Really looking forward to hearing more,

Jake Marker

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast