• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Etude #12 - D# minor by Alexander Scriabin

Share/Bookmark

Etude #12 - D# minor by Alexander Scriabin

The Etude #12 - D# minor by Russian Alexander Scriabin (1872-1915), is a dark and tragic piece of piano music in the Romantic style. I used a midi file of the composition and the Garritan Authorized Steinway for the virtual piano and I made many changes to the tempo in order to give the performance an authentic sound. It is impossible to say what inspired Scriabin to compose such an emotionally charged piece of piano music; it compares to music by Chopin, in its intensity.
    I created the animation to go along with the music using iClone 5 PRO.

Thank you,
    sd cisco

Re: Etude #12 - D# minor by Alexander Scriabin

Hello again, sdcisco. I have certainly considered you as someone who excels at this sort of production. I have never really been much of a virtual instrument aficionado, I typically just let Finale try to decide what's best, with perhaps a few tweaks on my end

This is a wonderful rendition, very emotionally charged, and the dark animation certainly helps with that!

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    Hello again, sdcisco. I have certainly considered you as someone who excels at this sort of production. I have never really been much of a virtual instrument aficionado, I typically just let Finale try to decide what's best, with perhaps a few tweaks on my end

This is a wonderful rendition, very emotionally charged, and the dark animation certainly helps with that!

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much, Michael!!

Please bear in mind that I have been making computer animations, off and on, for 12 years. This is my third foray into animation, X,Y & Z has been the constant, throughout.
    Scriabin deserves more attention than he gets. His orchestral stuff is literally out of this world, maybe like Wagner on acid, who knows!
    I wanted my rendition to showcase the emotional power of the Garritan Authorized Steinway.

Take care!
    sd cisco

I should add Scriabin to my "have to get more of this" list. Wonderful rendering.

Raymond

Now THIS is exactly the sort of exciting pay off I was hoping for when I suggested we go wild and have a Listening Room Summer Festival - In this case, TWO video productions from you, Sd, in one day, instead of waiting weeks on end in-between posts.

Bravo - Aaaah, those Russians! They hold a special place in my heart. The source of their passion is from the centuries of uniquely traumatic history they've collectively lived through. The world is richer for the tremendous treasure trove of art that Russia has produced - music, literature, drama, painting, sculpture, dance - .

When you say you used a MIDI file -something which actually describes what we always do when using virtual instruments, I guess you mean you found a MIDI file online for this?

The Garritan Authorized Steinway, now unfortunately discontinued, is the perfect instrument for this music, and it sounds magnificent in your recording. I do want to point out, as has often been pointed out concerning Steinway recordings, that the stereo image is actually the reverse of what it should be. I can't remember what the Basic Library has - is this Basic or Pro?--but it amounts to a Player's Perspective, with high notes naturally to the right. I feel that it's better to flip the image so the piano is heard from the audience's perspective, even when the instrument is up close as it is in this.

In any case, this is great - and your visuals are appropriately dramatic, beautifully done.

Thank you, Sd!

Randy

SD! This is one serious piece music. It sounds like the composer was really going thru some type of emotional trauma
    when he wrote this. Your piano rendition of this sounds very good to me and the accompanying video fits it very well. I thing I am going to look into the ICLONE 5 software. It looks very interesting.
    Thanks for this great post. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    SD! This is one serious piece music. It sounds like the composer was really going thru some type of emotional trauma when he wrote this...
    It's a gross simplification to say this, but as I was suggesting earlier, a lot of the serious passion comes from the fact that Scriabin was Russian, and writing in the late Romantic era. I doubt if Scriabin had an emotional mindset much different from his fellow Russians. It's a nation of deep, serious minded people, with tragedy an indelible part of their collective soul.

LOOK AT THIS - Sd, if you haven't seen this, and Jay, since you're interested:

I found a fascinating page about the composer and this particular Etude. There's scholarly text about the piece, and an examination of various interpretations and then FOURTEEN videos with all 14 of the performances the text has analyzed!

It leads off with a recording done in 1910 with none other than Scriabin himself at the piano. The person who wrote the text explains why he feels Scriabin's fast, passionate performance is the best of the lot.

Take a listen if you haven't, Sd - Your recording sounds great, - but take a listen to how brisk and incredibly vigorous the original performance was!

Thanks for introducing me to this music!

Scriabin (and 13 others) playing Etude #12

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    I should add Scriabin to my "have to get more of this" list. Wonderful rendering.

Raymond
    Thank you very much, Raymond! As I say, check out some of his symphonic work too, it is right over the top!

take care,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Now THIS is exactly the sort of exciting pay off I was hoping for when I suggested we go wild and have a Listening Room Summer Festival - In this case, TWO video productions from you, Sd, in one day, instead of waiting weeks on end in-between posts.

Bravo - Aaaah, those Russians! They hold a special place in my heart. The source of their passion is from the centuries of uniquely traumatic history they've collectively lived through. The world is richer for the tremendous treasure trove of art that Russia has produced - music, literature, drama, painting, sculpture, dance - .

When you say you used a MIDI file -something which actually describes what we always do when using virtual instruments, I guess you mean you found a MIDI file online for this?

The Garritan Authorized Steinway, now unfortunately discontinued, is the perfect instrument for this music, and it sounds magnificent in your recording. I do want to point out, as has often been pointed out concerning Steinway recordings, that the stereo image is actually the reverse of what it should be. I can't remember what the Basic Library has - is this Basic or Pro?--but it amounts to a Player's Perspective, with high notes naturally to the right. I feel that it's better to flip the image so the piano is heard from the audience's perspective, even when the instrument is up close as it is in this.

In any case, this is great - and your visuals are appropriately dramatic, beautifully done.

Thank you, Sd!

Randy
    Thank you, Randy!

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    SD! This is one serious piece music. It sounds like the composer was really going thru some type of emotional trauma
    when he wrote this. Your piano rendition of this sounds very good to me and the accompanying video fits it very well. I thing I am going to look into the ICLONE 5 software. It looks very interesting.
    Thanks for this great post. Jay
    Thank you, Jay, and you are very welcome!! The trick with Reallusion (iClone) is to always buy the "PRO" version of everything and consider what you see with just the basic PRO version of the app, as the tip of the iceberg, money-wise.
    I must have spent near $800 - $900 on the various utilities and environment and special effects packages, etc. But, I still love it!!!

sd cisco

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast