• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Scene Transition from "Hidden Streets"

Share/Bookmark

Scene Transition from "Hidden Streets"

This is a male trio for three young boys who come to realize it would have been better had they stayed home instead of coming to the city and ending up on the streets.

https://www.box.com/s/9e82b946deada09e430c

This is a male trio - the text is included with the link to the music.
    Done with all Garritan:
    Choir - mostly a cappella
    Violins, Violas, Celli and Bass.

Re: Scene Transition from "Hidden Streets"

Hello Tom, I don't often hear much in the way of Garritan Choir, so this is nice.

This is certainly very simple and melancholic, which I enjoy. Though, to me it seemed the strings were a bit overpowering in places, but perhaps that is just me

I enjoyed listening, thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Sanyarem,
    You are correct about the strings. Somehow when I converted from WAV to MP3 I apparently did something wrong. Sadly I am swamped with other compositional duties, but wanted to support the summer forum activities, so I sent it on anyway. Thank you for listening.

Tom

What a grand morning - For 3 hours so far, I've done nothing but listen to new posts here in The Listening Room, and writing replies. Rich.

And now Tom Davis steps into the Festival spotlight. Applause!

I had to listen twice, since the piece is so short but sweet. So nice! - I'm not clear from your text if you mean this actually has lyrics for the boys? But in any case, the vocal arrangement is so good, clear and smart, effective. And the string lines meld with it perfectly. OK, so the balances are off in the rendering itself, but I heard what you wrote, and like it a lot.

You've added another bright spot to my morning listening, Tom - Despite your busy schedule, I hope you return with more contributions to this highly successful Listening Room Festival we have underway!

Randy

I listened to it again too and decided I could not live with what I had posted. So, here is a better version:
    All Garritan – I/O full choir slow, GPO violins, violas, celli and basses.

https://www.box.com/s/9e82b946deada09e430c

Again the lyrics are included with the music. I believe it is easier to distinguish the vocals from the strings this time.

Yes, Randy – this is for three boys from the Midwest who, after being exposed to what life on the streets really means, are realizing they might have been better staying home. I changed the vocal to Full Choir slow in I/O and did major work on the strings dynamics. Incidentally, I discovered that considerable phrasing can be done in the choir by using extra dynamics.

Anyway, here’s hoping the second version will do better credit to the Garritan sound.

I have to confess this is one of my favorite moments in the show. The boys are huddled together, it is raining – sirens in the distance – it is very dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    I listened to it again too and decided I could not live with what I had posted. So, here is a better version:
    All Garritan – I/O full choir slow, GPO violins, violas, celli and basses.
    Again the lyrics are included with the music. I believe it is easier to distinguish the vocals from the strings this time.

Yes, Randy – this is for three boys from the Midwest who, after being exposed to what life on the streets really means, are realizing they might have been better staying home. I changed the vocal to Full Choir slow in I/O and did major work on the strings dynamics. Incidentally, I discovered that considerable phrasing can be done in the choir by using extra dynamics.

Anyway, here’s hoping the second version will do better credit to the Garritan sound...
    Hey, Tom--Fast work!--and well worth it. Yes, this recording is much more successful - nice balancing work between strings and vocals now. Good job. You accomplished what you say here - it does do better credit to the Garritan sound.

But what do you mean "again the lyrics are included with the music"--?-- That sounds like I'm supposed to be seeing the lyrics somewhere--? If so--I don't.

What do you mean by "extra dynamics" for phrasing work with the choir? Do you mean, playing the choir with volume control, things like that?

In any case, it's neat you were inspired to make a more satisfactory recording - you succeeded!

Randy

Randy,

When you click on the link it will take you to Box. Just below the play button, you will see comments – the first one is a copy of the lyrics.

As for extra dynamics, I found that I could maintain an fff dynamic and get a slight vocal push to the sound by putting the fff on three notes in a row – in this case over the notes to “Starlight Sparkling. It makes a very interesting effect.

Tom

Randy,

When you click on the link it will take you to Box. Just below the play button, you will see comments – the first one is a copy of the lyrics.

As for extra dynamics, I found that I could maintain an fff dynamic and get a slight vocal push to the sound by putting the fff on three notes in a row – in this case over the notes to “Starlight Sparkling. It makes a very interesting effect.

Tom
    Hello again, Tom - Thanks for the reply.

Well shoot - things don't look the same to visitors to your Box file as they do to you, the owner. There are no comments available when I'm there. I'd do a screenshot to show you, but you can take my word for it - no comments, no lyrics visible.

EDIT: I think those text inserts at Box are for when you're collaborating with someone. A collaborator has access to the files, can change things, upload, edit etc. But comments aren't visible on publicly shared links to non-collaborators.

Knock myself on my forehead - I'm so Sonar oriented, I'm sorry, I constantly forget about the way things are in notation programs - when I asked my question about dynamics earlier, I wasn't thinking at all about how you use Finale. Yes, of course I understand what you're saying now, insert volume dynamics on selected words. In Sonar I'd be recording CC11 data to play the volume to stress different syllables. Gotcha! Thanks.

Randy

Well, now I did not know it wasn’t visible – drat! However, I will not be routed by a mere technical glitch. Here are the words:

Sittin’ n by the river, waitin’ for the sun to go down, oh Lord the feeliin’ was fine.
    Hot sun on my shoulder, cool breeze blowin’ over, and dreamin’ how the whole world was mine.
    It was so good. I’d go home if I could. (instrumental break)
    Moonlight soft on golden hair. Mem’ries floating on the air.
    Starlight sparkling through the woods.
    I’d go home if I could – Home.

Well, now I did not know it wasn’t visible – drat! However, I will not be routed by a mere technical glitch. Here are the words:

Sittin’ n by the river, waitin’ for the sun to go down, oh Lord the feeliin’ was fine.
    Hot sun on my shoulder, cool breeze blowin’ over, and dreamin’ how the whole world was mine.
    It was so good. I’d go home if I could. (instrumental break)
    Moonlight soft on golden hair. Mem’ries floating on the air.
    Starlight sparkling through the woods.
    I’d go home if I could – Home.
    Nice - thanks, Tom.

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast