Share/Bookmark

59,620 years [The Return of Mars]

59,620 YEARS

The Recording is 100% Garritan.
    MP3
    http://www.amaze.fm/artist/Ed_Sharpe/59620-years/

Score and MP3
    http://www.scoreexchange.com/scores/20562.html

The title is in reference to the fact that the planet Mars is made its closest approach to Earth this year (2003), which last occurred some 59,620 years ago. Aldo Vitagliano, of the University of Naples in Italy, calculated that Mars hasn’t had as close a brush with Earth since September 12, 57,617 B.C., when Neanderthals ruled but modern man had begun to make inroads.

When I was writing this piece I was envisioning in my mind short ballet to go with the music.

The form of the piece is a simple arch, A (slow introduction in 4/4 time), B (the "chant" section of alternating time signatures and a slow increase in tempo), C (the central calm section in 11/4 time, basically a passacaglia that build ups as each voice is added then slows thins out as each voice drops out), The return of the B section and finally the return of the A section acting as a coda

Ballet Outline

Section A (4/4)

o Through the void of space Mars approached ancient Earth.

Section B (Mixed Meters)

o Fearful a Neanderthal shaman prays to the clan’s gods. o Slowly the clan joins the shaman in praying to their gods. o The prayer becomes a chant o The chanting breaks into a chaotic dance o The shaman start to pray again.

Section C (11/4)

o While the clan sleeps the red star waxes and wanes in the autumn sky.

Section B (mixed meters) (Return of)

o The Shaman starts to pray again. o Slowly the clan joins the shaman in praying to their gods. o The prayer becomes a chant o The chanting breaks into a chaotic dance

Section A (4/4) (Return of) (Coda)

o Through the void of space Mars returns.

The Recording is 100% Garritan.

Instrumentation [woodwind octet + Percussion]:
    Flutes 2
    Oboe
    English Horn
    Clarinet
    Bass Clarinet
    Bassoons 2
    Percussion

I mostly used Concert and Marching Band for the woodwinds, the English Horn is from GPO since there is no English Horn in CAMB. Percussion is from GPO, CAMB, JABB, and Garritan World.
    Last edited by Ed Sharpe; 07-21-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: clarification
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Re: 59,620 years

Hello Ed, I really like what you've done here. I wasn't sure what to make of the title at first. I thought maybe this could be an homage to Cage's "As Slow as Possible." Now that I know that is not the case, I am quite relieved! This does have an interesting mix of styles. I particularly enjoyed the chant sections' use of percussion. They certainly contrasted with the more sparse sections that were very reminiscent of space. I did enjoy the juxtaposition of the archaic Neanderthal and (what I would consider) the futuristic images of space. Oh...and that vibraslap at the end...lovely.

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    Hello Ed, I really like what you've done here. I wasn't sure what to make of the title at first. I thought maybe this could be an homage to Cage's "As Slow as Possible." Now that I know that is not the case, I am quite relieved! This does have an interesting mix of styles. I particularly enjoyed the chant sections' use of percussion. They certainly contrasted with the more sparse sections that were very reminiscent of space. I did enjoy the juxtaposition of the archaic Neanderthal and (what I would consider) the futuristic images of space. Oh...and that vibraslap at the end...lovely.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for taking the time to listen and write. As for the connection of the title "As Slow as Possible" did not occure to me. I have always struggled with the title for this piece, but have not come up with anything better. Thank you again.
    //
    //

Correct me if I'm wrong, Ed - But this has to be the first piece you've posted in a Very long time. No matter what the accurate answer to that is, WELCOME BACK - Geez but we need members like you sharing more of their music. It's really appreciated that you've signed up for the Listening Room Summer Festival!

--This is riveting. Your piece took me on an exciting trip, and I couldn't help myself but just close my eyes and go on a great journey. Not that this needs anything else, but I think your composition would lend itself perfectly to visuals - Can't you imagine a video visualizing abstract images of time and space with this as the soundtrack. I went there anyway!

I know by reading recent replies from you, that your strong preference is for music of more modern vintage that breaks the barriers of traditional Western Harmony. That of course is a huge classification, but now I'm grateful to get this clear musical statement of the sort of thing you resonate with.

Interesting, also, that you used woodwinds from COMB instead of the ones in GPO. I dont' think I've noticed someone expressing a preference for those - interesting!

Title - I think just the number could be at least as effective - simply, "59,620"--maybe even a bit more intriguing. A number? Hmmm, what the...?

THANK YOU Ed - It's an exciting morning for me, finding all these new posts mushrooming on the Forum, and having the experience of hearing your work has just made it all the more exciting.

Randy

BRAVO! This sent me back to the joy of graduate composition days. As an amateur astronomer with an intense interest in Mars, this has a Romantic pull for me. Very, very well done.

Tom

Re: 59,620 years [The Return of Mars]

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sharpe View Post
    59,620 YEARS
    Mesmerizing.
    Wonderfully desolate at times.
    Really love the long extended passage from roughly 3:49 - 8:00.
    I didn't read any of the stuff you wrote in your original post yet, I wanted to come in clean on this one before hearing it.
    I love the effect of that low buzzing instrument heard right at the beginning. That loud percussive tapping thing, I don't usually like that kind of thing, the cow bells in some of Mahler's symphonies come to mind, but think it works here very well.
    I really like this work.

Hi Ed,

Listened to this last night and again tonight ... it's been too long since hearing one of your pieces again, but from what I remember of your work, they are all cutting-edge and VERY original. Fantastic to hear stuff like this again; I really enjoyed it.

I found the sound and overall effect of scoring acoustic instruments in clusters (and with heavy echo in places), almost gave a reversed-synth feeling for me. By that I mean, yeah, I could pick-out the various reeds, and they sounded like their real-life instrument counterparts, but it produced a unique, non-traditional orchestration, something you might expect to have been produced with non-acoustic emulating samples ... like what you would hear and score with a synth. Neat aural juxtaposition.

Thanks for bringing this back, Ed.

Frank

while this kind of music is not my cup of tea musically, I like your expression and the sound that you achieved with a considerable amount of pre-delay on the reverb is very fun!

gotta love those Garritan's woodwinds at around 3:20 when I thought it was the end then I realized ...
    holy crap this thing is just a quarter of the way through...
    Dan

Thank you everyone who took time to listen, and a double thanks to all who left a comment.

>Correct me if I'm wrong, Ed - But this has to be the first piece you've posted in a Very long time. ...

True it has been a long time. I have been busy with some large projects and working on my mixing/Sonar skills. Also since I do not comment on other's pieces very often I some times feel guilty about posting. Since my point of view is very modern, and I have little interest in writing or critiquing movie music, I worry that my comments can be a bit harsh at times. Even is this summer festival there some pieces that are competently put together with fine craftsmanship, but they strike me a mundane, perhaps even common or even bland, so I choose to not comment, as I do not feel what I could say would be helpful to the composer.

>... Not that this needs anything else, but I think your composition would lend itself perfectly to visuals.

I very much had the idea of a ballet when I was writing this. The ballet outline I posted was an integral part of the composition process for this piece.

>I know by reading recent replies from you, that your strong preference is for music of more modern vintage that breaks the barriers of traditional Western Harmony. That of course is a huge classification, but now I'm grateful to get this clear musical statement of the sort of thing you resonate with.

I do have pieces that “go even further away” from common practice harmony.

>Interesting, also, that you used woodwinds from COMB instead of the ones in GPO. I dont' think I've noticed someone expressing a preference for those - interesting!

Maybe it is because of my Band background that I chose them, possibly, but I needed the concert toms from COMB so it just seem natural to use as much from COMB as possible.

>... gotta love those Garritan's woodwinds at around 3:20 when I thought it was the end then I realized ... holy crap this thing is just a quarter of the way through...

Yes, and I consider this just an average length piece for me. I have two finished pieces that are over 40 minutes long, and have 72+ minute piece in the planning stages.

Thank you all again.
    //
    //

! ! ! ! !

​Nothing else to say.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Go Back to forum