• Register
  • Help

Topic: Midi controller maps for Instant orchestrator in Cubase 5

Share/Bookmark

Midi controller maps for Instant orchestrator in Cubase 5

For example i have oxygen 8 and Lpd8 akai with a total of 16 assignable knobs and i would like to assign at least a set of 8 knobs to the 8 faders on Aria... how is this possible?
    It only gives CC's for a selection on knobs which works (attack CC20) , but no where can i find faders cc. I use it in cubase 5, i have tried the Quick controls..in which you can assign anything the instrument lists...but in the options when i click on the aria..it lists nothing but bypass!

Thanks.

Re: Midi controller maps for Instant orchestrator in Cubase 5

Actually i've just worked out how to do it with cubase faders...i recall it was a bad idea to mess with aria's faders as it's supposedly tweaked to get the best balance out.

Quote Originally Posted by superquartet1 View Post
    Actually i've just worked out how to do it with cubase faders...i recall it was a bad idea to mess with aria's faders as it's supposedly tweaked to get the best balance out.
    The faders on controllers default to MIDI CC7, and that's what the faders in ARIA's mixer respond to. So, it's theoretically an automatic process for a controller to interact with ARIA's volume faders. Cubase's faders also respond to CC7.

AND it's not a bad idea to "mess with ARIA's faders," because the default levels instruments come up at when you load them isn't necessarily what's going to work in a given piece. Volume mis-matches come up all the time when you only use the defaults, and especially when you mix Garritan Libraries.

So - you need to go ahead and set faders the way it blends your instruments best as you work on a piece.

It's also highly recommended that you bounce your MIDI tracks to audio for the final phase of actual mixing. But that is considered an optional extra step that not everyone does. I'm just suggesting you try that for greater control over your recordings.

My main point is that CC7 controls the relative volumes of instruments, and it's not correct that the default levels are "tweaked to get the best balance" - they really aren't. You need to set them at various levels on a per-project basis.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    The faders on controllers default to MIDI CC7, and that's what the faders in ARIA's mixer respond to. So, it's theoretically an automatic process for a controller to interact with ARIA's volume faders. Cubase's faders also respond to CC7.

AND it's not a bad idea to "mess with ARIA's faders," because the default levels instruments come up at when you load them isn't necessarily what's going to work in a given piece. Volume mis-matches come up all the time when you only use the defaults, and especially when you mix Garritan Libraries.

So - you need to go ahead and set faders the way it blends your instruments best as you work on a piece.

It's also highly recommended that you bounce your MIDI tracks to audio for the final phase of actual mixing. But that is considered an optional extra step that not everyone does. I'm just suggesting you try that for greater control over your recordings.

My main point is that CC7 controls the relative volumes of instruments, and it's not correct that the default levels are "tweaked to get the best balance" - they really aren't. You need to set them at various levels on a per-project basis.

Randy
    Thanks for the help and good advice Randy!
    I will take and put to practice.

Go Back to forum