• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VSL Legato

Share/Bookmark

VSL Legato

I just ordered VSL.
    I\'m putting together a giga system.
    How many legato instruments will I be able to load with...

Windows XP
    2.5 Ghz
    1 gig ram
    Gigastudio 160
    (Would 2 gigs ram double the amount?)

Thanks

Re: VSL Legato

If you want to use both the nomal sounds (cube) and the legato sounds (performance), maybe you can load just one or two instrument.

Ken wrote:

If you want to use both the nomal sounds (cube) and the legato sounds (performance), maybe you can load just one or two instrument.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So three high spec computers will give me 3 or 6 instruments, right?

1) Get out of here!

2) You\'re pulling my legg, right?

3) I see, you\'re kidding me!

I don\'t even have ONE high spec computer.

How many instruments is a full score orchestra? And how many computers do I need then?
    That many?!?
    What about a small chamber orchestra?
    Really?!?
    So only Hans Zimmer can pull that off, ay?
    OK, I give up. I was out of my league. I see that now.

------------
    Alex Cremers

I never lost my calm, [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] , but I was hoping I could load more then just a few (1 or 2) instruments from the Performance Set. It didn\'t occur to me, till now, that the Price Friendly One is the Most Resource Hungry One. That\'s all.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    I never lost my calm, [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] , but I was hoping I could load more then just a few (1 or 2) instruments from the Performance Set. It didn\'t occur to me, till now, that the Price Friendly One is the Most Resource Hungry One. That\'s all.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The woodwinds certainly don\'t eat up 50% of 1 gig of memory, probably around 14% last time I checked. And this is on WinXP, which leaves me with less room in any case.

Originally posted by Sovereign:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The woodwinds certainly don\'t eat up 50% of 1 gig of memory, probably around 14% last time I checked. And this is on WinXP, which leaves me with less room in any case. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Could you please elaborate? What exactly can you load in 14% regarding performance woodwinds..

Thanks,

AlEx

It really depends on the instrument, e.g. a bassoon performance pianissimo grace file will eat up 16% of my memory.

So while you can certainly load more than one or two instruments if you have one gig of ram some careful planning of what you need is required.

In my case my OS already has an overhead of around 300 megs so I only have 700 left for Giga. Anyone have any tips on tweaking WinXP? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hi JP2, You fail to mention your hard drive configuration. This will have a huge bearing on how many sounds you can stream simultaneously.

Giga 2.5 can only see a little more than a 1 gig of Ram.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Actually under XP it\'s 1.5 gig of ram. JP2, you dont mention your motherboard brand but with a 2.5gHz chip your board will probably accomodate up to 3 gig of ram.

Your RAM and hard drive config will ultimately decide how many instruments you can stream.

Cheers, Scott.

I\'m running W2K with 640 MB RAM and can load SIX Performance Set legato string instruments at 94%. I have yet to optimize this system though i.e. Msg32.exe (GS) is using *only* 322 MB of the available 640 MBs. Performance, with my 2.5 GHz P4, is not an issue.

Originally posted by csduke:
    I\'m running W2K with 640 MB RAM and can load SIX Performance Set legato string instruments at 94%. I have yet to optimize this system though i.e. Msg32.exe (GS) is using *only* 322 MB of the available 640 MBs. Performance, with my 2.5 GHz P4, is not an issue.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">ok this is confusing now....

how come then a single performance woodwind ona !gig system takes 16%?

Alex

Go Back to forum