• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Firefox experts - Please help! arrrrrrgh!

Share/Bookmark

Firefox experts - Please help! arrrrrrgh!

EDIT: Things are fixed and under control now. I'll leave the original post as-is, though, as a testament to how it's not as if I'm always exactly cool and collected!
    ----------------------------
    This is related to recent threads where members have reported the various problems they have while navigating around the Northern Sound pages.

Just in the last day, I suddenly got the dreaded loooong page load thing happening, this time having to wait each time for "static facebook" to load.

I looked online for help, and found some info about changing things in my tabs. And it's made this particular page load problem cease, BUT now I'm in NIGHTMARE LAND with my tabs! Here's what's happening:

--I click on a thread, read the posts, and when I click on the bottom right link to get to the thread's second page, that opens up in a new tab.

--I go to a Forum, read a post, click to return to the Forum, and a new tab opens.

--New tabs are constantly opening, and I'm having to constantly close them. As I type this, I have THREE tabs for General Discussion where I should have just one.

I shall go m-a-d to be constantly clicking unwanted tabs closed.

I'm on the current Firefox, 14.0.1. I've had that for awhile, so that's not new in the last few days.

I am ALWAYS confounded by trying to set my Firefox browser to behave how I want. I'll get it, by pure luck, and everything will be great for a long stretch--then crap like this happens.

---I can never find where to block sites. - I've tried to re-set my Tab options the way they were before I followed the online advice, but it's not reverting.

ARGH! -- Help from a Firefox expert?

Randy

Re: Firefox experts - Please help! arrrrrrgh!

Wish I could help but I use Chrome.

I always block sites via my router's utility (accessed via a Web browser). That way, I don't have to configure anything on the browser; everything is handled on the hardware (router) side.

Quote Originally Posted by Iacobus Rodelus View Post
    Wish I could help but I use Chrome.

I always block sites via my router's utility (accessed via a Web browser). That way, I don't have to configure anything on the browser; everything is handled on the hardware (router) side.
    Thanks anyway - Chrome - I use it only when I have to. Far too Spartan for my taste. I love me Firefox - usually.

Blocking through the router--ARGH--something else I have big troubles with. I did something that screwed up my controls online so I can't access them anymore.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Thanks anyway - Chrome - I use it only when I have to. Far too Spartan for my taste. I love me Firefox - usually.

Blocking through the router--ARGH--something else I have big troubles with. I did something that screwed up my controls online so I can't access them anymore.

Randy
    Oh, that's not good. Can you get into your router's utility?

Usually, routers have a hard reset switch so you can reset everything back to the defaults just in case something goes kablooey. You usually access this switch by taking a unfurled paper clip and inserting it into the small hole marked "reset" and holding it there for about 10 seconds. (This will, however, reset everything. You'll have to set everything else back to the way you liked before the hardware reset.)

Quote Originally Posted by Iacobus Rodelus View Post
    Oh, that's not good. Can you get into your router's utility?

Usually, routers have a hard reset switch so you can reset everything back to the defaults just in case something goes kablooey. You usually access this switch by taking a unfurled paper clip and inserting it into the small hole marked "reset" and holding it there for about 10 seconds. (This will, however, reset everything. You'll have to set everything else back to the way you liked before the hardware reset.)
    yeeeeah, I did the paper clip thing once - what a mess that was, setting up a new router name, passwords, messing up my Roku where I had to set up all my things there again etc--ARGH double time argh.

MEANWHILE - I poked around more and more with Firefox Tools, and managed to get things back so I'm not opening a million tabs all the time. And the Forum isn't getting bogged down - So, guess I'm back in one of those times of all being swell and fine.

--But I never know what I'm doing. I freak out, spend hours poking around, rebooting et al until something works. Oh well!

Randy

Hi Randy,

Don't know if this will help. I use chrome and also firefox for a couple of sites and have the same problem with loading times etc.

This is following up a post by Tom about no script addons. I haven't done it yet as I'm not sure how to do it or even if it's safe but here's the info if you want to have a look.

Click on the arrow on the firefox tab at the top left and select add ons. Then in the search box type "no script" and a page opens to select "no script" and then you'll get to No Script 2.4.8 if you want to have a look see.

There's a link to the website. I've read the info but wasn't sure about my IP address being used. Anyway have a look. You may think it's OK.

With people on Chrome, there's an add on available to stop this sort of thing as well. Maybe if I get any more annoyed than I am already, I will take the plunge.

Hope this helps.
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Quote Originally Posted by yjoh View Post
    Hi Randy,

Don't know if this will help. I use chrome and also firefox for a couple of sites and have the same problem with loading times etc.

This is following up a post by Tom about no script addons. I haven't done it yet as I'm not sure how to do it or even if it's safe but here's the info if you want to have a look.

Click on the arrow on the firefox tab at the top left and select add ons. Then in the search box type "no script" and a page opens to select "no script" and then you'll get to No Script 2.4.8 if you want to have a look see...
    Thanks, Yjoh - I'm happy with the fixes I did earlier today. I have my tabs under control, and this Forum is working fine. I just wish it wouldn't ever go out of whack, because I'm never quite sure what I'm doing when I go about trying to fix it.

But I know I don't want to do the drastic No Scripts thing - I Want websites to fully function, do all their flashy stuff, I don't want to cripple them. So, I'll never go with that solution.

Randy

Hey, Thanks! Another Firefox plugin is needed - OK, didn't know that. Sheesh. I'll add it- Thanks again.
    Randy

EDIT: Oops - Tried several times to download it - I keep getting an error message saying it can't be downloaded.----maybe the Plugin site's been blocked.-- kidding--But I think maybe to pay $5 is the only way to get it. I'll pass for now, since blocking sites hasn't been my main issue. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hey, Thanks! Another Firefox plugin is needed - OK, didn't know that. Sheesh. I'll add it- Thanks again.
    Randy
    That's pretty much what tinyfilter is for Chrome.... you're welcome

Go Back to forum