• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: DVD Composer Interviews

Share/Bookmark

OT: DVD Composer Interviews

I thought it might be good if everyone could recommend DVD\'s that have extra features in regard to the Composers and the film score.

For example, on the 6th Day DVD you can isolate Trevor Rabin\'s (composer) commentary along with the music and listen to him speak about the score for the entire film. This was mentioned in fact by someone here at NS. (sorry forgot who!)

Briefly, some other DVD\'s I can think of that have composer interviews or feature the score in some way are;

Gladiator - Interview with Hans Zimmer
    MIB2 - Feauture on Danny Elfman
    Conan the Destroyer - interview with Basil Poledouris
    Monsters Ball - feature on the score
    XXX - brief feature on Randy Edelman
    Half Life - interview with director, composer and Marilyn Manson
    LOTR - brief feature on score

I know they\'re must be heaps of others, so please share! I\'m sure many of us find these behind the scenes features quite interesting. Sometimes too, the DVD gets rushed back to the video store without us realising that there was a musically related feature.

Scott.

Re: OT: DVD Composer Interviews

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within has an interview with composer Elliot Goldenthal.

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    I thought it might be good if everyone could recommend DVD\'s that have extra features in regard to the Composers and the film score.

Scott.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Scott,
    Have a look here http://www.soundtrack.net/dvd/?cid=ALL

It\'s a list of DVD\'s with isolated scores, some also include interviews etc.
    make sure you check the features are actually on the disc before you buy as these features are not always provided on all regions. Most of the dvd\'s listed here are region 1.

Brian

Pleasantville DVD - Voice-over discussion/musical narration with Randy Newman

While I\'m here - http://www.randynewman.com/ Short interview. Click on \"Interview with ...\" It begins with:

JB: Describe the element of trust between the director and composer.
    RN: *u*k, are you kidding?
    RN: A director is a guy who owns a CD player and thinks he\'s an expert on music.

Both \"The Matrix\" and \"Tomorrow Never Dies\" have isolated score tracks, and \"The Matrix\" features commentary from composer Don Davis. \"TND\" is particularly interesting from a music editing standpoint... lots of really tight cuts on the ends of some cues to make room for certain bits of sound design.

Both Edward Scissorhands and Pee Wee\'s Big Adventure have great music-only versions of the movie along with Danny Elfman\'s commentary about each of the cues. Pee Wee is especially interesting because it was his first big gig. The Planet of the Apes DVD has a nice little segment that features Danny on the scoring stage with the orchestra - and shows Danny getting a little irritated the the cello section isn\'t playing its short notes crisp enough!

This is very cool guys, thank you.

And Brian; <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">- what a great page!! Thanks.

Scott.

JB: Describe the element of trust between the director and composer.
    RN: *u*k, are you kidding?
    RN: A director is a guy who owns a CD player and thinks he\'s an expert on music.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">WHAT A CLASSIC!!

Perfect Storm DVD has a cool vignette with Horner on the scoring stage and discussing etc. Not a huge feature, but definitely adequate. I am grateful for whatever time they actually give to the composers on these things.

Titus- I have 2 DVD set with a great vignette with Goldenthal and Taymor on the scoring stage. I really enjoyed this package. Great film-she is an amazing woman. What a unique voice and great DVD set.

On Spirit Stallion/Cimmaron there is a HZ feature as well.

I have a few others, but most of any significance have been mentioned in other posts.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Didier

The Signs DVD has a nice interview with the composer, along with his relationship with the director. I think James Newton Howard did the score. Someone correct me if I\'m wrong.

Anthony Lombardi
    www.mp3.com/alombardi

Go Back to forum