• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Ice Burgers"

Share/Bookmark

"Ice Burgers"

Here is a short little animation that is a fictitious account of events on the Titanic, the night it sank. The music was made using a combination of Vita Full Strings and GPO4 Full Strings and a bit of french horn. The music is not real important, just wanted to make it sound like something was going on, at that hour and the passengers were likely partying, what else should one do with all that luxury and food/drink??
    But it is also dark humour and I mean no disrespect for the victims, but it has been over 100 years now, and to be honest, I believe the tragedy occurred as a result of inattention on the part of the captain and crew. I am sure everyone knows the story by now!

CAUTIONARY NOTE: Keep your volume level in the nominal range until the dialogue starts. If you crank it up beforehand, you are liable to be blown out of the rocking chair!!

Thanks!
    sd cisco

Re: "Ice Burgers"

That's a cute joke. Bordering on being offensive I guess, since the setting is one of history's biggest tragedies. But I imagine most people would still be amused, Sd, and not find it in bad taste.

I think you purposely intended the dialogue to be anachronistic, underscoring the light, comedic way in which you wanted this to be taken--I'm referring to the guy saying "Cool" several times, many decades before the word referred to anything besides something being at a low temperature, or someone behaving distantly. That's part of the topsy-turvy humor of your video.

As you said, you've kept the music much more subordinate in this one than usual. I turned my speakers up just a tad to hear better what you were doing - BAD IDEA - when the dialogue finally started, I rattled everything on my desktop, the volume was so high.

I wanted to refresh my memory on info about music on the Titanic, so looked some pages up. "Nearer My God To Thee" is of course famously remembered as the last thing the band played as the ship sank. Previous to that hymn, there are various reports about what they played. Ragtime - that's what I remember and associate with the Titanic, but there was actually quite a variety of music played. And info I looked at online was actually about what they started to play after the ship hit the iceberg, not before that.

But something Ragtime would have worked in this, something tinkling away more lightly, in keeping with the light tone of the video. I'm just saying that could've worked.

It was an - interesting one, Sd!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    That's a cute joke. Bordering on being offensive I guess, since the setting is one of history's biggest tragedies. But I imagine most people would still be amused, Sd, and not find it in bad taste.

I think you purposely intended the dialogue to be anachronistic, underscoring the light, comedic way in which you wanted this to be taken--I'm referring to the guy saying "Cool" several times, many decades before the word referred to anything besides something being at a low temperature, or someone behaving distantly. That's part of the topsy-turvy humor of your video.

As you said, you've kept the music much more subordinate in this one than usual. I turned my speakers up just a tad to hear better what you were doing - BAD IDEA - when the dialogue finally started, I rattled everything on my desktop, the volume was so high.

I wanted to refresh my memory on info about music on the Titanic, so looked some pages up. "Nearer My God To Thee" is of course famously remembered as the last thing the band played as the ship sank. Previous to that hymn, there are various reports about what they played. Ragtime - that's what I remember and associate with the Titanic, but there was actually quite a variety of music played. And info I looked at online was actually about what they started to play after the ship hit the iceberg, not before that.

But something Ragtime would have worked in this, something tinkling away more lightly, in keeping with the light tone of the video. I'm just saying that could've worked.

It was an - interesting one, Sd!

Randy
    Randy;
    Thanks for the tip-off about the volume level before the dialogue starts! I have added a cautionary note to the post to warn listeners/viewers. Lots of musical things would have worked with this. It was intentional to have Jack say "cool" a couple of times, just to help orient the viewer to the context of the thing.
    The sinking of the Titanic was due in full to gross negligence of duty and was a direct result of trying to cruise the North Atlantic at the height of ice berg season, at 21 knots, near full throttle, in the middle of a moonless night, and then ignore ice warnings from other ships in the area. And of course, unless they'd reduced the passenger count by 2/3's, simple math would tell you there weren't enough lifeboats.

sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Randy;
    Thanks for the tip-off about the volume level before the dialogue starts...It was intentional to have Jack say "cool" a couple of times, just to help orient the viewer to the context of the thing.
    The sinking of the Titanic was due in full to gross negligence of duty...
    That was a good idea, adding that warning about the volume. The level contrast you have works, it's just very dramatically different between music and dialogue.

Yes, as I said, having him say "Cool" puts the video in the context of a fantasy, a joke, instead of the historical context. Clever choice.

And that's about right, all you say about the factors leading up to the sinking. And of course none of that makes the event less tragic, but even more so. That's why the Titanic is emblematic of how arrogant we can be.

Interesting, off-the-wall project, Sd!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    That was a good idea, adding that warning about the volume. The level contrast you have works, it's just very dramatically different between music and dialogue.

Yes, as I said, having him say "Cool" puts the video in the context of a fantasy, a joke, instead of the historical context. Clever choice.

And that's about right, all you say about the factors leading up to the sinking. And of course none of that makes the event less tragic, but even more so. That's why the Titanic is emblematic of how arrogant we can be.

Interesting, off-the-wall project, Sd!

Randy
    Thanks for understanding, Randy. I thought of it shortly after making my own first ice-burger!!

sd

Go Back to forum