• Register
  • Help

Topic: Another Re-post: Mirrors

Share/Bookmark

Another Re-post: Mirrors

Perhaps it is coincidence that the first two re-posts of my music since the beginning of this wonderful festival have had connotations of repeating or reflecting...or perhaps it is intended... (truthfully, it's a bit of both )

I don't frequently write much music that is over 5 minutes long, but I really had fun with this one! This piece is based on a very simple structure that I am about to describe in all its gory detail. So, if you would like to listen while I ramble on, here is the link to Mirrors:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=7633791

Mirrors is split into 4 short sections/movements. Each section introduces two motifs that will be used in each of the proceding sections. That is, Section 1 will introduce 2 motifs, Section 2 will introduce 2 motifs and will have the 2 motifs from section 1 sprinkled throughout. Section 3 will have 2 new motifs and all 4 from sections 1 and 2, and so on...

I have broken down each motif below. I show when each is first introduced and which instruments play it. I also include the first time a motif is repeated in each section. (The the introductions of new motifs and sections are in bold. Though each motif is varied throughout each section, the final section reintroduces all of them (except one) written backwards.

0:00 Section 1
    0:00 Motif A - woodwinds and mallets
    0:28 Motif B - strings

1:23 Section 2
    1:23 Motif B - piano
    1:53 Motif C - bells
    2:07 Motif D - strings
    3:21 Motif A - upper woodwinds

4:27 Section 3
    4:43 Motif C - bells
    4:50 Motif A - clarinet
    4:58 Motif E - bells/woodwinds
    5:01 Motif B - low brass
    5:04 Motif F - low strings
    6:04 Motif D - flute/piccolo

6:32 Section 4
    6:32 Motif A - woodwinds/mallets (written backwards)
    6:37 Motif F - xylophone (written backwards and much faster)
    6:47 Motif E - English Horn (also backwards) At this point, the low strings begin playing Motif F backwards, but very slowly.
    6:57 Motif B - strings (backwards)
    7:02 Motif D - piano (backwards)
    8:04 Motif C - bells/woodwinds (forwards, but doubled)

Note that though I only listed 6 motifs, there are some others that I use throughout, but I did not really adhere as strictly to reusing each of them in every section.

This was written entirely with GPO

Thanks for listening!

Edit:

Here are the original posts in the order they were created:

Toying with an Ostenato (section 1)

Mirrors (after section 2 was completed)

Mirrors-updated (after section 3)

Mirrors-completed (after section 4)

Thanks to Randy​ for bringing them back up
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Another Re-post: Mirrors

Now here's a very rich piece that has an equally rich history here in The Listening Room - Michael Obermeyer's "Mirrors." This is exactly the sort of thing I hoped would be re-surfacing for the Festival - THANK YOU, "Sanyarem"--!

#1 - I encourage everyone here to set aside 8 minutes or so to listen to this. As Michael talks about on Forum threads from 2009, his main influence was the great John Adams.

As is noted in various posts on the links below, like Adams, the piece has some characteristics of minimalism, but is more harmonically complex and branches out into a bigger variety of themes and moods than pure minimalism - and that makes it rather Adams-like.

The movements were first posted individually, then gathered together, and updated - It's one of the LR's continuing sagas for some time now, and that's why I'm so glad to see it back on the front page again!

Michael - the ending movement is new to this version you've posted, yes? I know this was in 3 movements, and there was talk about a coming 4th movement. This latter section is probably the most Adams-like, more restrained than the insistent, booming ending to "Harmonielehre," but reminiscent of it.

Great stuff - Thank you, Michael!

Two of the previous threads about "Mirrors" from 2009.

Mirrors-updated

Mirrors-completed

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Now here's a very rich piece that has an equally rich history here in The Listening Room - Michael Obermeyer's "Mirrors." This is exactly the sort of thing I hoped would be re-surfacing for the Festival - THANK YOU, "Sanyarem"--!

#1 - I encourage everyone here to set aside 8 minutes or so to listen to this. As Michael talks about on Forum threads from 2009, his main influence was the great John Adams.

As is noted in various posts on the links below, like Adams, the piece has some characteristics of minimalism, but is more harmonically complex and branches out into a bigger variety of themes and moods than pure minimalism - and that makes it rather Adams-like.

The movements were first posted individually, then gathered together, and updated - It's one of the LR's continuing sagas for some time now, and that's why I'm so glad to see it back on the front page again!

Michael - the ending movement is new to this version you've posted, yes? I know this was in 3 movements, and there was talk about a coming 4th movement. This latter section is probably the most Adams-like, more restrained than the insistent, booming ending to "Harmonielehre," but reminiscent of it.

Great stuff - Thank you, Michael!

Two of the previous threads about "Mirrors" from 2009.

Mirrors-updated

Mirrors-completed

Randy
    Oh my goodness, Randy! Thank you very much for your words; I certainly did not expect anyone to go searching through the forums to find those posts I did, in fact, post each movement individually, I'll update the original post with all four links, but here they are in order of original posting:

Toying with an Ostenato

Mirrors

Mirrors-updated

Mirrors-completed

I did actually post the 4th movement to the forums, but it was not until a year after posting the third movement. I had started on the 4th before then, but did not really like where it was going. After a long break, I revisited it, made some adjustments, and then finished the 4th.

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain some more detail behind this, and I'm flattered that you remembered it after all this time

Many thanks for your reply!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

I must say I did not know quite what to expect
    from the detailed road map you provided, Michael.
    But then, I've never been able to follow a map
    anyway... lol.

Assuredly, the results, though, were a highly
    worthwhile listen -- an intriguing, engaging and
    successful piece. Very well put together, and
    despite my being map challenged, when heard,
    the structure holds together like a finely built
    clock.

Well done!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    I must say I did not know quite what to expect
    from the detailed road map you provided, Michael.
    But then, I've never been able to follow a map
    anyway... lol.

Assuredly, the results, though, were a highly
    worthwhile listen -- an intriguing, engaging and
    successful piece. Very well put together, and
    despite my being map challenged, when heard,
    the structure holds together like a finely built
    clock.

Well done!
    Thanks David, your words are much appreciated

Though I did try very hard, it seems my cartography skills are not what they used to be! Looking through the older posts that Randy found, I noticed I referred to motif B as being introduced by the French Horns a few seconds into the first movement, but here I state the strings introduce it 20 or so seconds later. Before posting this, I did almost say B was introduced by the horns, but changed my mind, feeling the strings played more closely what I reused throughout the piece, though they could certainly be considered variations of each other (which is what I feel they are).

My point being... my map isn't entirely important, I just provided it to try to add some interest for the listeners. For me, I really enjoy when I have something to listen for, such as Berlioz's Guillotine in Symphonie Fantastique. Maybe some prefer to find their own things to listen for, but if not, I provided a rough map, and I just hope you don't (or perhaps I hope you do) get lost along the way!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum