• Register
  • Help

Topic: guitar bouree

Share/Bookmark

guitar bouree

This is a classical guitar piece. It is mostly two part counterpoint. It uses JABB electric guitar. I think that this guitar was well suited for this piece.
    Please give a listen and tell me what you think. Jay

7/25/12 2:45 I adjusted the volume on this per a suggestion. This is the way I would actually play this.

This piece is no longer available as 7/26/12

Re: guitar bouree

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    This is a classical guitar piece. It is mostly two part counterpoint. It uses JABB electric guitar. I think that this guitar was well suited for this piece.
    Please give a listen and tell me what you think. Jay

www.jesse.us.com/bouree.mp3
    What a beautiful piece of counterpoint, Jay - I admire the work very much.

The JABB El Guitar sounds OK - I think I would've liked more amp on it.

One major technical note though - the volume keeps jumping up and down unnaturally. At times it sounds like you're trying to use the volume shifts dynamically, but other times the jumps seem really random. My suggestion is that when using a guitar, all the volume work should be done purely with velocity, to keep volume changes within the range of what's actually possible.

Liked the music very much though!

Randy

Thanks for the advice Randy! I am going to fix that now and put it back out.

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable FBPhotoZoom

Thanks for the advice Randy! I am going to fix that now and put it back out.
    CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable FBPhotoZoom
    --? What does that mean - what's FBPhotoZoom, and how does it relate to the post--?

You've edited your original post saying you've edited the volume in the track- I downloaded and listened, -but it sounds the same. There's still the erratic up and down of the volume sounding like someone arbitrarily twiddling a volume knob.---

? - Did you make a mistake in your upload? Or is that really the new file even though I can't detect the difference--?

Randy

Hey Randy! I have no idea where "CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable FBPhotoZoom" came from. I did not send it.
    Anyway, in regards to volume, I was thinking that you were hearing some strangeness from the gain editing I did directly on the audio track using clip automation in Sonar so I went back to the midi tracks and applied the volume expression completely in the PRV. I re listened to it again after your most recent post on this. I do not hear the volume changes as erratic and arbitrary. They are intentional. I decreased the volume and added crescendo's in places that I thought were appropriate. (Based on what I would do in a live performance). I thought that the electric guitar would have been more effective than it ultimately turned out. In the future, if I post any more guitar pieces, I will use the electric piano because it has a more responsive sound than the jabb guitars.
    I do appreciate your input on this. Jay

P.S. You missed my comment on Tom Sawyer.

Hi, Jay - Isn't that odd about the unintended text? I looked it up:

"FB Photo Zoom is a simple, Light-weight extension for Facebook to see the larger images on Mouse hover over a zoomable image...integrates with Google Chrome."

Why that text would mysteriously just appear on your post is beyond me! Weird.

Re: The guitar's volume fluctuations: Thanks for indulging me. I understand now that you worked the volume like that
    intentionally. It's just that in both versions, the changes didn't sound natural to me. You were going for the kind of volume control a guitarist has with a volume pedal, and I guess for me anyway, achieving that effect with either MIDI volume control or with an audio track envelope doesn't sound right. Hmmm, those approaches seem reasonable though. Hearing the guitar in solo was probably a big factor. In an ensemble setting, the effect would have been different. Exposed in the solo, it seemed like there were times when the volume would just jump so suddenly, sometimes even during a note - and it wasn't computing in my brain as something possible to do with a volume pedal that can't suddenly jump from setting to setting like that. Sorry, it didn't work for me, and was distracting from the great counterpoint you'd written.

I was going to take another listen this morning, but see you've removed the MP3 - I'm sorry if my reaction made you feel it wasn't worth keeping up--. Hmmm.

I'm slowly but surely catching up on the replies on my current Sawyer post - I'll be getting to yours, Jay - Thank you ahead of time for that!

Randy

Yo Randy! I just decided that I just don't feel like dealing with this piece anymore. I do appreciate your input on this stuff.
    Talk at you later. Jay

Yo Randy! I just decided that I just don't feel like dealing with this piece anymore.
    That's understandable but I wanted to chime in here and say that I also enjoyed your bouree very much and *would* like to deal (listen) with it some more.

Dang! Sorry I missed it, Jay.

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum