• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Does GigaSampler really work?!

Share/Bookmark

Does GigaSampler really work?!

I\'m going to be getting student loans soon, and really want Miroslav Vitous\' sounds. (Just his strings and bass&woodwinds and maybe in the future his choir... not the whole set)

I\'m debating right now between buying one of those $1,000 E-mu samplers or getting GigaSampler. Everything I\'ve read says I should go with GigaSampler.

But I\'m stil not sure. I just know that it\'ll give me lots of problems on my computer, and won\'t work, and will crash and will give me all kinds of headaches. This is what my comp is according to the control panel:

Windows XP
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    2.0 GHZ
    1.00 GB of RAM
    And I have a 120 GB Hard Drive

Is that a good enough system for GigaSampler? I could upgrade it if necessary. I also have to be able to write on this comp (Word) and have Internet Explorer and possibly a game or two :\\ All of my programs right now (including Finale and Cubase) only come to 5 GB, so I don\'t think that\'d be any big deal.

I don\'t need one of those $5,000 Super Macs or a PC without any other programs on it for GigaSampler to work do I?

Also, I have one more question about sample libraries (this makes my post not OT =])...

I still don\'t quite understand how sample libraries work. I load them into my computer from a CD, then I can control them and play them from my keyboard through GigaSampler? Is that how it works? I will still be able to play Miroslav Vitous\' samples just like I\'d play samples from a normal Tone Module right?

Thank you, sorry for being a newbie.

Re: Does GigaSampler really work?!

You do NOT want Vitous, it\'s outdated.

And yes, you play the libraries like a regular tone module.

You do NOT want Vitous, it\'s outdated.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">True. But some think that the woodwinds still rule(even when compared to the big guns of today). And the choir demo is still the best I\'ve ever heard.
    The strings, however, I definitely staw away from.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\"> You do NOT want Vitous, it\'s outdated.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">True. But some think that the woodwinds still rule(even when compared to the big guns of today). And the choir demo is still the best I\'ve ever heard.
    The strings, however, I definitely staw away from.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Vitous is still expensive though, as far as I know. For that kind of money he\'d be way better off with VSL which offers far superior woodwinds, IMO.

Don\'t spend 1000 bucks on EMU. Buy Gigastudio (not gigasampler, which is also outdated), and buy yourself some descent libraries, no vitous. I\'ve heard great things from it, but the price/quality ratio is really outrageous.

If Vitous old solo woodwinds cd is still priced with a Rolls Royce tag on it then I\'ll rest my case.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Actually, Miroslav String Ensembles are NOT that bad. They have a unique \"thickness\" that seems to be lacking in many other string libraries. And yes, they may be outdated in comparison with many of the newer sample libraries. Buy I still use them quite often because of their unique sound. Just my opinion.... Gary [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The Vitous string are still pretty outstanding IMO. They\'re definitely over-priced compared to some libraries, and things like the Pizz programs are now quite second-rate, but do not underestimate the good stuff. With careful programming their legato patches in particular still yield great results, particularly the fiddles.

The woodwinds need a lot of tweaking but some of them (such as the bassoons and cor anglais) are fantastic. I use many of them more often than my other more up-to-date libraries.

All this Vitous is out-of-date stuff is real nonsense. With careful programming they still have some cracking multisamples that ooze character and warmth.

Okay, okay... the Vienna Symphonic Library sounds very good instead of Vitous (although its $300 more). I\'m still not sure if I prefer Vitous choir or the Symphony of Voices... and I\'m also not too sure how much to trust demos.

Somehow I suspect it won\'t sound as pretty as they do when I\'m just playing on my keyboard. I already have so much to learn musically (counterpoint, orchestration, theory, etc..), that I always hate it when I hear that learning to tweek midi compositions, and making them sound as real as possible is an \"art unto itself\".

But will my computer run GigaStudio? Isn\'t a hardware sampler (I think that\'s how they\'re referred to) like an e-mu more stable than a comp would be? I know my comp probably has more RAM than one of those though. The e-mu can upgrade to 128 RAM I believe, and I have 1 GB.

Is my computer comparable to what you people are using?

I would definitely go with Giga over an Emu. From what you\'ve listed above, it seems that you easily have a good enough computer. One reccomendation though:

You\'ll probably want another hard drive just for the samples if you\'re going to run GigaStudio.

Hope This Helps,
    Ben Ripley

Go Back to forum