• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Garritan instruments with MuseScore 1.2

Share/Bookmark

Garritan instruments with MuseScore 1.2

Dear Garritan users,

I made some experiments and investigations, and I'm happy to report that we can use MuseScore (the free open-source notation software) with Garritan instruments. It's not straightforward, but works, and doesn't take too much time to set up.
    I tried it in Windows XP, and had success with the following setup.

You need to download and install "Jack audio server" from http://jackaudio.org/ and Loopbe1 (free for personal use) from http://nerds.de/en/download.html
    This way you'll be able to have a connection like MuseScore > Jack > LoopBe1 > Aria

1. Run "Jack Control", choose Setup...
    a. set server path: jackd -S -R -X winmme
    b. set driver: portaudio
    c. press OK
    2. Start "Jack server" by clicking Start in Jack Control
    3. Run MuseScore and in Edit > Preferences > I/O
    a. uncheck portaudio
    b. check use Jack MIDI output
    4. Restart MuseScore
    5. In Jack Control, click on Connect, in the Connections tab, click on MIDI tab.
    a. On the left side, you should see MScore1 - click on it, then on mscore-midi-1
    b. On the right side, click on system_midi, then click on the bottom one, at me it's playback_3, but you might have only 2
    c. Press Connect
    6. Open Aria Player, and select LoopBe Internal Midi (in) as Input device.

If everything's right, now MuseScore should play through Aria. If you cannot hear the sound, you might need to connect to a different playback_x device in the 5th step.

Re: Garritan instruments with MuseScore 1.2

EDIT: Never mind. Group consensus is that this thread is no problem. It's the way this thread sprang from contentious posts on another thread which bothered me. The same topic was brought up here, but with the original, questionable components left out. So, I'll leave my original posts up for the record though - Don't want to erase history!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Reported.

As a Moderator, I would like everyone here who respects Garritan and MakeMusic, and understands that we are their guests on this Forum, to also report this thread.

Click the exclamation point at the bottom left corner of the thread's opening post, and report this as Spam promoting rival software.

Thanks.

Randy

Randy, I honestly do not see this as an attempt to promote rival software (it's open source anyway, so there's not much point in promoting it) but as something that's useful for Garitan users to know. I own both Finale and Musescore, and would LOVE to be able to get good sounds out of it. Some users here do not own Finale, and probably do not wish to own it. I see nothing wrong in showing people who use Garritan another way to use software.
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

EDIT: Never mind. Group consensus is that this thread is no problem. It's the way this thread sprang from contentious posts on another thread which bothered me. The same topic was brought up here, but with the original, questionable components left out. So, I'll leave my original posts up for the record though - Don't want to erase history!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael135 View Post
    Randy, I honestly do not see this...etc. etc. incorrectly
    That's why I'm a moderator and you aren't, Michael.

As a Moderator, I would like everyone here who respects Garritan and MakeMusic, and understands that we are their guests on this Forum, to also report this thread.

Click the exclamation point at the bottom left corner of the thread's opening post, and report this as Spam promoting rival software.

Thanks.

Randy

I'm with Michael on this.

It is inevitable that when you have products as part of a portfolio that complement each other, but can be mixed and matched with other products, that some users will use some of the products with those other products. I will refer to these products as components.

There are two ways of looking at this conceptually:

Someone promoting the use of one component with a competitive component can be seen as either an attack on the suite, or it can be seen as supporting the component.

It is like someone posting on a Microsoft forum that Powerpoint integrates beautifully with Quattro Pro (a competitor to Excel).

Personally I would encourage this.

To push the example even further, it is like someone posting on Microsoft's website that Excel works well in the Mac OS, or the Microsoft website loads properly in Firefox.

It would be interesting to see MakeMusic's view about this philosophically, but personally I would take a pretty dim view if they were to want to restrict things in that way.

This kind of censorship usually backfires.

The next step in that direction is to ban tips that help people use Concert and Marching Band in Sibelius.

Thanks.

Randy

Actually Randy, in this instance, you are probably acting against MakeMusic's wishes.

They may have bought Garritan, but they are open about it being available to EVERYONE.

They are also happy to have users of other programs able to import and export to Finale, their flagship program. The proof of this is that the first version available of the DOLET plugin, which allows XML import/export, was for Sibelius. And it was FREE.

And you may not know it, since you aren't a Finale user, but their technical support DOES answer questions regarding software other than Finale. Regularly.

Also, to be fair, the OP is NOT "promoting rival software".

He is posting regarding the use of a Garritan product with Musescore. There's nothing "rival" to Garritan in that. it's not like he's promoting the use of Vienna Symphonic Libraries in the Listening Room.

This is NOT a "Finale forum".

So cool your jets, "moderator".

Genesis of the problem I have with this thread:

--On my Tips thread this week, I listed 10 free things. First on the list was Finale's free NotePad software. I explained it's an entry level, simplified program, but just fine for people like songwriters needing piano/vocal scores for their band.

--In response, Briff said:

"Finale NotePad? Oh, no. That's really too simple, I wouldn't recommend that at all. It has basic features missing.
    I can recommend BlahBlah instead at http://blahblah.org. That's really free, and supports advanced features as well.
    Check its online score sharing site http://blahblah.com/ to see what it is capable of."

Later he said:

"...I think Finale produces very bad quality engraving...

"...Finale NotePad (is) an oversimplified product to advertise the big overpriced brother."

I explained, politely, that I feel it's inappropriate to post links and info on MakeMusic's site for a competitor product. But Briff, knowing I don't have any actual power, shined me on and started this new thread.

In my opinion, we might as well be on a Forum dedicated to GM Cars, and it would be absurd for someone to post a thread saying, "Don't buy these rubbish American cars, go for this snazzy Japanese model."

All this reminds me of a thread awhile back when the topic was a Garritan Library. A member we all know here posted on that thread something which basically said, "Don't buy that. Here's the link to a free sample set that's just as good, probably better."

So, that's the story. I may be in the minority, but it astonishes me that any member here can tolerate these kinds of posts. I can't tolerate them, but there's nothing I can do except not come by nearly so often so I don't have to see this kind of junk. That's what I'll do, save myself some grief.

If anyone reading this agrees with me, click the exclamation point to report the thread starter post as the Spam it is.

Thanks.

Randy

I must respectfully disagree as well with considering this as spam promoting a competitor's product. Spam is unsolicited and often bulk advertising, paid for and endorsed by whichever company is wanting to promote their product, not a descriptive and informative posting from a random person on how to interoperate different pieces of software. Furthermore, MuseScore is free software, created by volunteers, most likely hobbyists, who have no financial interest in it, much like Audacity. MuseScore is also cross-platform, which also makes it one of the few options available to people who are using neither Windows nor Mac OSX.

I do not use MuseScore myself; I tried it out a few years back, but never took to it. However, if it was something I ran into back when I was in school, I could well have found myself using it due to my budget at the time. When I consider how I first started using GPO, after I installed GPO I set about making it work with my existing software, which was a program with somewhat primitive MIDI capabilities but which didn't support VST's, by chaining them via other helper programs. I had neither a fancy DAW nor a fancy notation program. All I had was whatever I could cobble together, which I had to integrate GPO into. If the timing or situation was different, 'whatever I could cobble together' could well have consisted of MuseScore. briff's post would have been a helpful guide to getting things to work together.

Most importantly, I agree with AlanPerkin's exposition, and I will also add that I believe it is MakeMusic's best interest to promote and not suppress posts such as briff's. MakeMusic sells both Finale, being notation software, as well as Garritan instruments. There will be people who use Finale, but which may not use Garritan instruments. There will also be people who use Garritan instruments, but not Finale. If a customer who has purchased a Garritan instrument, and comes to the forums looking for help on how to use it with their non-Finale notation program, to find that no such help is forthcoming because non-Finale notation programs are competitors to Finale, this customer would be understandably upset, and may consider not purchasing other MakeMusic products in the future. Similarly, if a Finale user was looking for help on how to use Finale with a non-Garritan instrument, and was denied help because non-Garritan instruments are competitors to MakeMusic's Garritan products, this would also reflect poorly on MakeMusic.

Promoting the dissemination of the information that yes, Garritan instruments can be used with many programs out there, and that yes, Finale can be used with many virtual instruments out there shows that these products are flexible and capable, and that they can be integrated into each individual user's workflow, which we know is unique to each musician and can be very different from one person to the next and involve a huge variety of different tools and programs.
    -- Matt Wong

If you had an issue with his post in the other threads, then by all means, deal with it there.
    As a moderator, I presume you have a certain amount of discretion to delete posts.

But this thread is, the way it is presented, innocent.

While I might agree with you that the OP is a jerk (after reading his post in your "free tips" thread), I still cannot accept censorship of this thread.

There very well may be owners of GPO and other Garritan libraries who use Musescore. I know there are quite a few Finale users on the MakeMusic forum who profess to using it (and finding it horrendously basic and simplistic, rendering terrible engraving, by the way).

Go Back to forum