• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stereo or Mono drum samples??

Share/Bookmark

Stereo or Mono drum samples??

Hi Folks, was wondering if someone could answer a few questions for me:

1. Is it best to use Stereo or Mono drum samples? I do want to create the highest quality music but was thinking using Stereo drum samples may be a waste of Ram/CPU.

2. I use Digital Audio Copier to record samples from a CD internally. Some samples have a lower than 0db, is it wise to use Sound Forge and normalize all recorded samples before mapping them out in GigaSampler?

Thanks a bunch!

Re: Stereo or Mono drum samples??

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alec:
    Hi Folks, was wondering if someone could answer a few questions for me:

1. Is it best to use Stereo or Mono drum samples? I do want to create the highest quality music but was thinking using Stereo drum samples may be a waste of Ram/CPU.

2. I use Digital Audio Copier to record samples from a CD internally. Some samples have a lower than 0db, is it wise to use Sound Forge and normalize all recorded samples before mapping them out in GigaSampler?
    Thanks a bunch!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Alec,
    I like the stero too but consider the possibility of some instruments canceling
    when heard, [monitored] in mono.
    I haven\'t had the experience yet but have been warned about the Clearmountain snares...
    told by a friend that did them, that they
    go thin when a stereo sample is listened to when checking the \"mono mix.\"
    Just a thought.
    If your intentions are to make it work in every situation, you might want to double check the sounds in mono first.
    Steve

[This message has been edited by nous (edited 07-24-2000).]

Re: Stereo or Mono drum samples??

For me, it depends. If it\'s a dry sample, I go mono. If it\'s wet (a sample with reverb, ambience, etc) I go stereo. However, if you go with a stereo sample with reverb, or whatever, make sure that it fits well with the other tracks in the final mix.

Go Back to forum