• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just came back from a Film Music Concert with the local symph orch...

Just came back from a Film Music Concert with the local symph orch...

I had the pleasure of listening to TSO (www.tso.no) perform some great film music by John Williams, including Star Wars, E.T, Harry Potter, Schindler\'s List and some music by Michael Kamen (including 101 Dalmatians, Robin Hood, Mr. Holland\'s Opus) and WOW was I surprised at the quality of the orchestra in this setting. They sounded like they had been practising for weeks. It was truely amazing. The fast string parts and celesta parts in HP were performed flawlessly and the brass section was top notch throughout the concert. It was a great experience to me. Just a shame the concert didn\'t seem to attract many people. Most of the audience consisted of people around my age (20ish) which was a breath of fresh air.

The only downfall was the violin solo in Schindler\'s List which was executed rather flat without the heartfelt emotion that the piece so obviously screams to carry.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know that there is hope for the film music world. Keep pushing the message to people in charge of the program selection at your local orchestra and maybe, just maybe you\'ll get a slice of heaven like I did tonight (even though god himself couldn\'t be there [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (And with that I\'m obviously referring to John Williams) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Just came back from a Film Music Concert with the local symph orch...

Yes, beyond some great music from the movies themselves, it’s a clever and legitimate way to get more people interested in the beauty of the sound of symphonic orchestras.

Last Hallowe’en the Vancouver Symphony did a thing based on macabre musical settings and costumes, etc., another inventive approach. Once mesmerized by the lush sonic kaleidoscope of full orchestra, it becomes a shorter jump for many from overload guitar to Bruckner and the boys.

Go Back to forum