• Register
  • Help

Topic: repost: Northern Variations, all GPO, full orchestra

Share/Bookmark

repost: Northern Variations, all GPO, full orchestra + video

Variations for orchestra (final movement of Symphony no.2 "Sinfonia Canadensis")

scored for:
    2 flutes (2nd doubling piccolo)
    2 oboes (2nd doubling english horn)
    2 clarinets (2nd doubling bass clarinet)
    2 bassoons
    4 horns
    3 trumpets in C
    3 trombones (2 tenor, 1 bass)
    tuba

1 timpanist
    1 percussionist (glockenspiel, xylophone, bass drum)

Harp
    Strings (1st and 2nd violins, violas, celli, contrabasses)

all instruments GPO, played through Aria Player, as performed entirely from within Finale 2012b.

the form:
    theme - rapid scales, and arpeggio figures are the theme. the material loosely outlines a 12-note tone row.
    1st variation - "Tundra", rocky, dry, angular
    2nd variation - "Little Paws", scurrying woodwinds and strings over pizzicato celli and basses
    3rd variation - "The Great Whale", rapidly flowing strings accompany a grand "choral" in the brass, then in full orchestra.
    4th variation - "Inuksuk", tender presentation of the theme in woodwinds and strings, then more dramatic restatement in divided strings alone, brief reprise of the "Whale" music in the character of the 4th variation.
    5th variation - "The North Wind", bass drum rolls and timpani hits introduce the frigid arctic wind, woodwind flourishes, brass fanfares, and trombone glissandi, before the theme gets picked up as a constantly modulating phrase rising to a tumultuous climax...held note in the oboe links to the final variation..
    6th variation: "Sunrise / Spring", soft woodwind phrases, echo each other, as nature awakens. gradual crescendo of the theme reduced to its component elements.

the actual thematic elements are a bit more arcane than described here... for example, the theme as stated in the final variation is actually a countersubject to the actual theme, as presented in the 4th variation. There's also a lot of musical symbolism, where particular thematic fragments have specific meaning. There are echoes from previous movements of the entire symphony, again, where themes have distinct meanings.

yeah, I admit this is a relatively tonal and traditional work. In a sense, it is my answer to works like "Grand Canyon Suite", but obviously, describing my own country.

Re: repost: Northern Variations, all GPO, full orchestra

Hello qccowboy, great to see a post from you today! I have heard your music in the past, but I am not sure if I have ever commented on anything before. When was it that you wrote this, the title certainly rings a bell.

But wow! This really has a lot going on in it, and really captures that majestic air! I had to turn my volume up just a bit to get the full effect, but I would say the same about my own recordings. You have something great here, though, and I'm certainly glad to have had the chance to listen to it. Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

very impressive sir

The Festival just keeps soaring along! A big wish of mine was that long time Forum members would join in and give newer members the opportunity to hear pieces posted too long ago for them to have heard. I've been getting my wish with people like Dpdan and David "Et Lux" posting some of their wonderful work, and now here we have you, Michel with your SCRUMPTIOUS "Northern Variations."

Thank you so much, Michel - Has Canada ever been captured so well in music? I doubt it. I love this music, and now have it at the ready for replaying as much as I want - which I'm sure will be often.

Applause and thanks.

Randy

This was a great composition. I love the style and complexity of this. I wish I had the skill to compose like this. Thanks for the share and great work!

Regards,

Richard

Michael, GRB, Randy and Richard, thank-you very much.

I'm still keeping fingers crossed for a live performance of the entire symphony.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

thank-you Michael.

I personally enjoy listening to music with some sort of guide to the structure and some of the formal subtleties, so I don't mind supplying them for my own works.

if it can help someone get a better grip on what I've written, then it's all for the better.

Re: repost: Northern Variations, all GPO, full orchestra w/video

I thought some might enjoy listening to the music with some images attached.

Don't criticize the video too harshly.. this is the very first time I've ever used the software in question, and it is the first time I've ever made a video.

My original plan for the entire symphony was to have a slideshow projected during the live performance.

I updated the first post of this thread to include a link to the video.

Awesome work, very picturesque, complex, expertly crafted, and beautifully arranged. Well done
    My Music - https://soundcloud.com/davidrhepworth-1
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Skippy

Go Back to forum