• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do you arrange your templates?

How do you arrange your templates?

Hi All,

Ive finally got some time to spare and I want to set up some templates to speed up my Giga work. So my question is how do you arrange your templates by instrument (Violin 1, primary articulations etc.) or by articulation (long notes, staccato, Grand detache, etc. Of course instrument sections (Strings, woods, brass percussion etc) will be on separate ports. If anyone wants to list out their templates that would be helpful.

My first inclination was to group by instruments, then load a bunch of articulations for Violin 1s, then the seconds, etc. But that limits flexibility because ya just can\'t load everything.

So then I thought I\'d group by articulation and then I could load up a primary group of articulations and add as I saw fit. It\'s more flexible, but would make navigating the arrange page in Logic highly illogical.

Your suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Steve Chandler

Re: How do you arrange your templates?

I\'m sure people are gonna think I\'m nuts, but I start off with a template that has no instruments loaded, and just some DSPs set up for panning and reverb. I may not always use the same arrangement of instruments, so I just load them as I need them.

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps I should clarify. I\'ll be reworking a largish piece (12 minutes) that uses a wide variety of string articulations, long notes, short, marcato, pizz, etc.). I have GOS and 4 available midi ports to two machines (GS96). I\'d like to set up a template that doesn\'t have me wasting time searching for the channel I put whatever articulation on. So my original question stands, do you organize by instrument or articulation? Thank you.

Steve, don\'t know if this will help but here is a cut and paste of the Jeremy Soule \"meet the artist\" interview;

Could you walk through the typical process you go through when laying strings down. Not so much the compositional process, but the technical process of getting the \'sound\' you get from GOS. Things like layering (any other string libraries used?), expression control (CC11), EQ\'ing, reverbs, compression, limiting, etc.Thanks for your time.” Submitted by jubal

[Jeremy Soule]

Well, I\'ve got a fairly conventional template I use that is in score order. For those that don\'t know what this is (bear with me all of you PhDs), it is merely the order of the instruments as they would appear on a conductor\'s chart. There are no other strings being used at Artistry Entertainment now. Everything you hear is GOS. I\'ve got the strings split out on a D8B right now across \"violins\", \"viola\", \"celli\" and \"basses\" so it is a pretty simple setup. My strings tend to be heavier in verb than what you hear in real life. This is a stylistic thing that I do and it helps blend the different types of attacks. I use a Lexicon 300 pretty extensively along with a 960L in some cases. I also have darkened down the violins with a gentle British EQ roll-off. Something like 3.9 db starting in the mid ranges extending upwards. GOS tends to be bright so I took this into account in matching the sound of my ideal synth orchestra with the sound of a live orchestra. I also sometimes add a soft knee compressor to the basses and celli. This helps to focus the sound a bit. Panning is also a piece of cake. My firsts are gently nudged a bit more left than they come out of the box. I also nudge my celli to the right and brightened the celli on a lot of my mixes. Last but not least, I use lots and lots of expression control. Volume, foot, breath, mod...you name it. It\'s all there. You need all of these things to keep the tone articulation and phrasing musical. I use my lungs, hands and feet simultaneously. It\'s seems a bit like smoking and riding a motorcycle at the same time--it looks cool but it\'s easy to crash.

How do you ORGANIZE (not your musical brain) but the whole setup in your seq.comp. and within GIGA? Do you have specific instruments on specific channels and ports, with steady instr.numbers (for programchanges), and (if) how are these related to banks and score-layout in your music program. Do you have an AUTO-song with empty pre-structured sheets etc....THANKS!” Submitted by sten oerting

[Jeremy Soule]

This is really easy. I just assign different machines to different instrument types. Typically, I\'ll have four ports on any given machine. I\'ve got GOS split across 4 machines now. It works really well this way. I\'ve been using Logic ver. 4.7.3--God Bless It. It\'s buggy but it generally gets the job done.... ...My template is also pretty big--over 195 lines of stuff. I at least group the strings together just as I do everything else--roughly in score order

And from Robert Kral...
    There\'s a template of about 280 tracks of midi that rarely changes for this show. With that I am off to a flying start because I can start playing something right away instead of looking for sounds. This is mostly thanks to Gigastudio of course. Within each group of samples mentioned above, there are key patches I can start composing with and then orchestrate further from there. Its best to whip out a quick orchestration with your key samples to hear how its working. If it is working, then you know that all you need to do now is orchestrate, and go crazy with your midi. Its important to know if your idea is working correctly.

Even on the next level, within the particular orchestral section there are choices say just for short bows, laid out on the ready to go template. I have all the GOS short bows violins loaded (the key switch patch), and use different ones for accents or cross rhythms, I use different ones again for down beats or accents, or the grand detaches for making a sustain more expressive via layering. I also love the Prosonus Marcatos and the Rolands get used a lot.

I have a favorite timpani for example (An old one from the Roland library). I use this always for timps, then accent it with other libraries. Rolls are filled out with other patches. Certain downbeats I start with the Roland Bass Drum menu. Then add different bass type drums from other libraries.

I usually use a standard setup so I know where everything is. It varies by the needs of the piece, but it usually goes something like this:

C1-8 percussion, starting w/ timp at 1 and adding as needed from there

10- Fl
    12-Eng Hn
    14-B Cl

1-4 Hn articulations
    5-8 Tpts
    9-12 Tbs
    13-14 B Tb
    15-16 Tuba

Port3 - GOS
    1-4 Vn I (eg 1-legato, 2-marc, 3- pizz, 4-misc)
    5-6 Vn II
    7-8 Va
    9-12 Vc
    13-16 Cb

Port4 ? SISS (same as port3)

The general idea is that it goes in score order, except I put the percussion on port1 under the superstition that the timing will be tighter there. I generally stick with the same pattern across similar instruments, but if I have a bunch of Vn articulations for example they start to get spread out all over the place. So really, this is a work in progress and under refinement, especially until I can add some more machines to my giga-rig.

Go Back to forum