• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio 3.0 release date info

Share/Bookmark

Re: Gigastudio 3.0 release date info

It looks like another year for Giga 3.0 then! Many companies that were showing there new products at the January NAMM show are finally just releasing them.

Kontakt 1.2.1 has been working great for me especially with some of the newest libraries written just for it. It does quite a bit more than Giga 2.5 although it does use more processing power.

\"It looks like another year for Giga 3.0 then! Many companies that were showing there new products at the January NAMM show are finally just releasing them.\"

I don\'t think it will take that long. Many times companies are desparately showing off a buggy prototype version of their software to get some interest in it.

In this case, the Giga software is very mature and as is very obvious, they have been working on it for quite some time so it is much further along than much of what debuts at NAMM. I don\'t forsee that long of a wait.

\"Also that it draws more CPU power that the current gigastudio because of new dsp functions\"

It will draw extra CPU power when you choose to use the DSP funtions. Otherwise, you won\'t be losing any performance that you currently have. Probably get more in fact.

\"The CP is still up in the air and is being pushed by a few developers...\"

I think they have decided against the intense CP they were considering a while back. There might be a third party option or two that could work though and that would not hamper the software at all and would be up to individual develpers to use or not. It would require less involvment in the CP process than other companies are currently doing. (and with much less grief if I do say so)
    I\'m afraid though that CP is at the very top of the wish list for most of the developers and has been for some time. They can\'t take something like that lightly.

Later
    Dave

Originally posted by David Govett:

I don\'t forsee that long of a wait.

Dave
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Dave and Kevin are doing the docs. The docs come last in the cycle.

It is indeed upon us.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hi Gang,

I promise I won\'t turn this thread into a rant, because I am glad Tascam is loosening up a little info. Maybe they\'ll keep it up.

Edit: Please see comment on the copy protection issues raised by Dave Govett in the Wake Up thread.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Leak update.

Hey, after fourteen cups of coffee and a day with the U.S. family legal system, I am WIRED!! Hoo boy.

If you have a fast computer and are running Giga 2.5x, take a look at your CPU meter at full-bore output. We know the buffer size will halve from some previous feature leakage, so you\'re loading double the number of instruments you can load today. Then imagine what they\'re going to do with the other 97% of the CPU that\'s lying around polishing its nails. That very generi-chic \"DSP Functions\" could be a whole lotta things, folks.

If they\'re leaking info about the state of copy protection, you can bet it\'s coming on some level, and they\'re looking to gauge the feedback. Give it to \'em however you see it. It\'s good to let them know you notice. Those relationships may come in handy down the line. Write.

I would be very optimistic about January NAMM. I would also challenge Tascam to invest in the Giga team\'s QA resources, so that updates can be about honing features rather than fixing bugs. I don\'t know any music software company that has enough QA resources...the people they have are always worked to the bone.

Gigastudio 3.0 release date info

I just talked to Chris at Tascam about their release date of 3.0
    He said they are pushing for the Namm show and would like to have a complete version out to present there .
    But not sure if a public version will be out by then .
    He mentioned they are alpha testing on a 2 or 2 plus gig machine and not to worry about having to buy a 64 bit machine to run 3.0.
    Also that it draws more CPU power that the current gigastudio because of new dsp functions.

There will be a upgrade path for current giga users[They wont have to buy the program from sratch.
    The CP is still up in the air and is being pushed by a few developers , but they have not yet decided [Yes Lee you are incorrect , it\'s not a done deal]on whether to implement it or not.
    Lets all keep sending Tascam those emails against CP that will limit the full function of Gigastudio!
    Developers I love you , but there got to be a better way.
    Peace out

This is good news indeed! I\'m tired of converting my gig files to other formats!

Nhick

so it\'s still alpha... hmm, wonder how many years it will be beta then.

/Tobias

Good point!

Nhick

Go Back to forum