• Register
  • Help

Topic: Vienna and Altiverb idea - HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS??

Share/Bookmark

Vienna and Altiverb idea - HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS??

In listening to the QLSO demos I love the space of them. Clearly the mix of 3 mic positions makes a big difference in the depth of the sound. Thus far with Vienna I\'ve just been adding verb to various sections as I feel appropriate. What if using Altiverb we processed a single Vienna source 3 times. One for close mic, one mid and one far? From there if we mixed the 3 I\'m wondering if the end result would exceed anything possible with a single reverb application or reverb layering. All acoustic arguments aside about why this will or will not work, I think we should give it a try and hear what it sounds like.

Colin

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Vienna and Altiverb idea - HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS??

Originally posted by scores4film:
    In listening to the QLSO demos I love the space of them. Clearly the mix of 3 mic positions makes a big difference in the depth of the sound. Thus far with Vienna I\'ve just been adding verb to various sections as I feel appropriate. What if using Altiverb we processed a single Vienna source 3 times. One for close mic, one mid and one far? From there if we mixed the 3 I\'m wondering if the end result would exceed anything possible with a single reverb application or reverb layering. All acoustic arguments aside about why this will or will not work, I think we should give it a try and hear what it sounds like.

Colin
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Colin,

Sure, this works fine. Ideally you\'d want to impulse a great space with the appropriate mic positions, but you can knock it off even with multiple reverbs by delaying the space and simulating the positions.

If you have a surround monitoring system, you can even spread the delays to the rear channels and move them in realtime to hear the way it changes the \"feel\" of the room.

If you are trying to improve the overall quality of your plugin reverb, and you have the spare CPU to do it, try splitting the reverb feeds into separate frequency ranges and using multiple reverbs. It\'s interesting to start with the same setting for all splits, then start smearing the settings. It\'s all so relative, anyway...very fertile ground for imagination.

Delays are also a great tool for orchestral mixes. Sometimes if you can\'t get samples to really live in the same space, you can create the illusion of a common reflective surface with a subtle delay, and put everything in it. The advantage is that you can fool the ear into thinking things are in the same relative space without needing to saturate the reverbs so much. They actually sound bigger when they\'re not saturated.

Re: Vienna and Altiverb idea - HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS??

Click here: The MIR Project

All the best,

Go Back to forum