• Register
  • Help

Topic: Patton---short demo (features DD winds & brass)

Patton---short demo (features DD winds & brass)

Ok, so after months and months of diddling around after I had a complete system meltdown, I FINALLY got everything running again with all my new libraries loaded and updated. I wanted to see if I could replicate something, and I happened to have picked up the Goldsmith soundtrack to Patton the other day, so I figured I\'d give it a shot. This is just a quick 35 second chunk:

For those not familiar with Patton, here is the original material:

I took a liberty with the soft organ sound, putting it on bass clarinet (yes I know, I made it a bit too loud and got the line just a bit wrong, but I was more interested in the other stuff).

Let me know what you think--I\'m pretty happy with how it came out.

Re: Patton---short demo (features DD winds & brass)

The real one is better. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    In fact, the woodwinds intro is good and more convincing then the brass which is not wet enough and seems to be located at the same place as the strings. The big difference is that there is a lot more depth in the real one. Is this what you want to hear, I\'m not sure. Other then that, it\'s a pretty good replica.

Alex Cremers

Yeah, one of the things I\'m trying to do is figure out the best way to mix it to make it sound good. Perhaps I should put a different reverb on the brass than the other instruments. I don\'t want to make it so wet that it gets muddy though.

I\'m not sure of the best way to get more depth. Just panning stuff left and right doesn\'t necessarily help that.

I have to agree, there is a wonderful muddyness to those horns in the original. It\'s been a while since I\'ve seen the flick, but it makes me recall the somber tone the music gave to many parts. Lay on a little more verb and distance and you could be quite a bit closer if that is indeed your goal.

This is not to say it\'s not a good mock up though. If you didn\'t hear them side by side...

Giving this post a self-bump in the hopes that someone will listen & comment. I guess it needed a sexier title to get attention. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I\'m trying to get the most out of my new setup, so any comments are welcome.

Go Back to forum