• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Optimizing your computer for audio

Share/Bookmark

OT: Optimizing your computer for audio

Hi everyone, I posted this in Off Topic 3 days ago and there\'s nothing but tumbleweeds blowing over there... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Anyway, since we all have experience in streamlining our machines for audio, I wanted to throw this out to you knowledgeable people here for your thoughts...

I have been approached to do some tutorials on optimizing your computer for audio, focused in particular, on Windows XP. They range from very basic to advanced. I thought I would post what I have come up with so far. I welcome any suggestions or criticisms if you think anything I have said is not accurate. Also, is there anything you think I have missed that should be included?

Some of the things I plan to talk about are;

Looks vs Functionality
    - turning off visual effects
    - reducing color bit depth
    - turning off background images

General Maintenance and Operating Tips
    - Disk Defrag
    - Error Checking Hard Drives
    - Creating Shortcuts
    - How to properly remove programs
    - System Restore, what it is and how to use it
    - The Device Manager
    - Applying updates

Installing Drivers
    - different options when installing
    - windows driver signing; what it is and how to turn it off
    - rolling back a driver
    - checking the current driver version
    - updating a driver
    - manually installing a driver

Optimizing Hard Drives for Audio
    - Have a seperate drive, perhaps two; one for playback and one for recording
    - turn off Indexing Service
    - make sure drives are DMA enabled
    - set all drives to master
    - leave drive on it\'s own IDE cable
    - Creating a disk partition

Optimizing Memory and Processor
    - How much memory should you have? (check motherboard manual for limit)
    - Creating a swap file (virtual memory)

General Performance Tips
    - Processor Scheduling, set for background services
    - turning off uneccessary services
    - removing unwanted Windows components
    - turn off Windows sounds

Regards, Scott.

Re: OT: Optimizing your computer for audio

Hi Scott,

Looks pretty comprehensive and obvious question is how do we acquire/buy the doc once done?

What about also talking to the pros/cons of adding internet. Explain why most say it\'s a bad thing, and how most people get around not having a machine online.

Hi Joanne, unfortunately the content will become the property of the college I am providing it for. They are in fact going to be video tutorials. I will ask the college principal if I can post here what it\'s all about, I just don\'t want to preempt anything without his permission.

That\'s a good point about the internet - thanks. Windows XP requires you to go online for updates so it is a bit hard for an offline machine. I\'m not sure if you can even obtain a CD of updates from Microsoft anymore, you used to be able to.

Cheers, Scott.

You\'ll probably be asked whether RAID makes a difference. Now that\'s a can of worms...

Originally posted by Chadwick:
    You\'ll probably be asked whether RAID makes a difference. Now that\'s a can of worms...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ditto for SCSI...

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Chadwick:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ditto for SCSI...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Good points! Given that these tutorials are geared toward novice users I think RAID and SCSI could be giving them enough rope to hang themselves with. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Balance that over the hair pulling experience of setting it up and the marginal (or non-existant!) performance increase, I think I\'ll keep it centered on UDMA/IDE. When SATA comes out that will be another story, and hopefully a new tutorial...

I would have to agree. Plus, I think that with current technology, good UDMA-IDE drives are fast enough and the price difference makes them much more attractive, especially for beginners.

...thought of another, what about light pipe verses networking two PC\'s together? Pros and cons etc.

Thanks Joanne, another good thought. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The tutorials are primarily focused around novice PC users so it would be a bit advanced at this stage.

I would\'ve loved to have included tutorials on running multiple DAW\'s, two or monitors, KVM switches, Midi over Lan, MTC, SMPTE, bitrate, dithering, etc... This is when the fun really starts. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Scott.

Go Back to forum