• Register
  • Help

Topic: adjusting keyswitches in world instruments

Share/Bookmark

adjusting keyswitches in world instruments

Hi gang, I've gotten pretty good at editing sfz files to stretch at the playable notes. I have finally come across a predicament. For the erhu, I am attemping to stretch it from E1 to C8 so as to be able to play it for any of the chinese bowed instruments (the didagehu/dagehu has the same range and tuning is an upright bass, and the jinghu is an extremely high pitched erhu for instance). however, this low range overlaps with the keyswitches. I cannot seem to edit the keyswitch keys properly, I'm attempting to throw them down two octaves to start off at 12 rather than 36. Preferably even lower, at note 1 the low C0.

Anyways, I thought I may have figured it out, but it there are no keyswitches that play (I can understand them not showing up on the piano in ARIA since it goes an octave below what the aria keyboard displays, but the actual keyswitches are gone). What remains is the keyswitch group name indicator by the modwheel says 'tremolo' and there is only tremolo available from the drop down. When I play notes it also sounds as if all keyswitch sample types play at once, so if I hit say an F#5, the legato, pizzicato, arco etc for F#5 will all play simultaneously. Please help! I'd even be willing to move the keyswitches above the notes into the C8 region rather than way below if need be.

Re: adjusting keyswitches in world instruments

Quote Originally Posted by Connor Helms View Post
    Hi gang, I've gotten pretty good at editing sfz files to stretch at the playable notes. I have finally come across a predicament. For the erhu, I am attemping to stretch it from E1 to C8 so as to be able to play it for any of the chinese bowed instruments (the didagehu/dagehu has the same range and tuning is an upright bass, and the jinghu is an extremely high pitched erhu for instance). however, this low range overlaps with the keyswitches. I cannot seem to edit the keyswitch keys properly, I'm attempting to throw them down two octaves to start off at 12 rather than 36. Preferably even lower, at note 1 the low C0.

Anyways, I thought I may have figured it out, but it there are no keyswitches that play (I can understand them not showing up on the piano in ARIA since it goes an octave below what the aria keyboard displays, but the actual keyswitches are gone). What remains is the keyswitch group name indicator by the modwheel says 'tremolo' and there is only tremolo available from the drop down. When I play notes it also sounds as if all keyswitch sample types play at once, so if I hit say an F#5, the legato, pizzicato, arco etc for F#5 will all play simultaneously. Please help! I'd even be willing to move the keyswitches above the notes into the C8 region rather than way below if need be.
    Open the sfz file you wish to edit and add the following under the "<control>" section:

sw_octave_offset=-2

This will offset the KeySwitches by minus two octaves. You can adjust to -1 for one octave, etc.

Cheers!
    Chad

so far so good, seems to have done the trick! many thanks for saving the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Connor Helms View Post
    so far so good, seems to have done the trick! many thanks for saving the day!
    Anytime. Enjoy the World Instruments collection!

Go Back to forum