• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Speaking of Hans Zimmer....

Share/Bookmark

Speaking of Hans Zimmer....

Anyone have the soundtrack of \"THE LAST DAYS\"? What do you think of it?

-edited- [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks!

Re: Speaking of Hans Zimmer....

Be careful of what you\'re saying [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . You are at the Sample Board Numero Uno here [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . Are you saying that samples=crap? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

------------------
    Alex [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Cremers [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Heck noooooo! I\'m about to drop a few grand on some of the new stuff! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-edited- to make myself look better. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

BTW... much respect to \"samples\".... \"Hans\"... and \"Nathan Wang\"! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I haven\'t heard that particular score, but I know that a lot of the stuff he does nowadays is recorded with a live orchestra. There may be elements of samples in the tracks, but that\'s done quite consciously and you should be able to discern it. I think Hans Zimmer is a fabulous composer and he\'s indeed one of the best mockupers in the world. Of course it helps to have that Mediaventures orchestral library, but I\'m not sure he worries too much about mockup quality anymore, since all of his stuff is getting performed eventually anyway. The Last Days could be a cheap production with little or no budget for a live orchestra, hence the samples you\'re hearing. In my experience from listening to the music from MV the mediaventures library seems to work best in a bombastic over the top kind of arrangement. That\'s not to say it wouldn\'t work in softer stuff though.
    You must also remember that he has like an army of ghostwriters and fellow composers at his production house in Santa Monica, and that he use them all the time. In general they\'re quite good at mimicking his style though, so things don\'t stand out like a sore thumb. Needless to say, these composers are of variable quality.
    Upload a short clip from the cd and we\'ll tell you whether it\'s live or samples if you\'re desperate and can\'t figure it out yourself [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thomas

Here\'s the piece I\'m talking about. Again, no disrespect to Hans Zimmer.

Thanks for the response Thomas! Sorry, I\'m an idiot... more so than King! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (no disrespect now to King... I feel like I\'m digging a hole for myself [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Not samples. At least not predominantly samples.

But the thing that absolutely floors me is the blatant Mussorgsky lift. Surely there\'s a reference, either in the picture or the credits. It\'s rather shameless.

Um, you do realize you just pirated an entire piece of music onto Al Gore\'s internet, right?

My guess is that the unconventional recording technique used here is what makes you feel awkward. The music also feels a bit empty as if many tracks on the mixing desk were left muted.
    Strange indeed.

------------
    Alex Cremers

It probably worked like gangbusters in the film, though. I hear a lot of film mixes that just sit in a flat arc fifty feet behind the picture. This one probably pokes through the mix in an interesting way in the actual film.

Hard to second guess film mixes...without the entire scene, picture and all, you really can\'t judge what effect was being sought. I personally thought the mix was interesting--only the first appearance of high-tessitura violins seemed off-kilter.

This one screams \"real\".

Go Back to forum