• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: What's up with woodwinds?

Share/Bookmark

What\'s up with woodwinds?

Why is it that the only library I can seem to find that has ensemble woodwinds is the new EWQLSO? Why does no one seem to consider it important to make ensemble winds?

I am seriously considering building up my orchestral library bit by bit with various different libraries...but woodwinds totally stump me. The only two options (giga wise) it seems are VSL (which forces me to get brass too) and Dan Dean...neither of which have ensembles.

I\'m a bit frustrated by it.

If there\'s a library out there that I\'m missing (and I mean a GOOD library...not some old junker that doesn\'t compete anymore) please let me know.

Thanks all. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: What\'s up with woodwinds?

I don\'t know if you consider AO a junker, but I use the ensemble woodwinds all of the time and they work great for me.

Terry

I think the reason for this is that it is rare to find the woodwinds playing at a unisono in orchestral writing. If that\'s the case there are just two instruments, as the woodwinds are often multiplicated by two. I got xsample woodwinds and they layered three of the same samples (one pitched higher). But it\'s true mostly they play solo in the orchestra.
    MArkus.

You do have Kirk Hunter Solo and Ensemble Flutes for $99 as well.

Devon

Originally posted by Markus S:
    I think the reason for this is that it is rare to find the woodwinds playing at a unisono in orchestral writing. If that\'s the case there are just two instruments, as the woodwinds are often multiplicated by two. I got xsample woodwinds and they layered three of the same samples (one pitched higher). But it\'s true mostly they play solo in the orchestra.
    MArkus.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t believe this to be the case. I\'ve seen very few orchestras that only have a single player for each wind. In fact, I don\'t think I\'ve ever seen an orchestra that has only single players for the winds.

On top of that, I prefer the sound of ensemble winds to solo parts.

Originally posted by DevonB:
    You do have Kirk Hunter Solo and Ensemble Flutes for $99 as well.

Devon
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Yeah I read about that. Heard it was pretty good too. However, I must say, flutes are the most usable in solo form, in my opinion, as they are higher and cut through the orch. The other winds are actually more important to me than flutes in ensemble form.

folk prophet wrote:
    I don\'t believe this to be the case. I\'ve seen very few orchestras that only have a single player for each wind. In fact, I don\'t think I\'ve ever seen an orchestra that has only single players for the winds.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Of course there are two of each, but they rarely play the *same* melodie. They are often in third or sixth distance. They don\'t play the same *note*, if you like. So you need two *solo* clarinets, f ex. The strings are often 14.Forteen first violins play the same note, but woodwinds are generally just two, playing different notes. Thats what I wanted to say.

The sound of ensemble winds is pleasing to my ears. I have no idea why more people don\'t make libraries with this idea. I also don\'t get why some bundle the woodwinds and brass together (VSL). Now, THAT\'S irritating!

Have you checked (overpriced) Miroslav?

Sampling woodwinds in unison has always been somewhat of a problem for developers because it is hard to justify the added costs when the ensemble samples themselves are, in orchestration sense, only useful in louder dynamics. This is inorder to maintain orchestral balance, specially when there\'s Brass present.

I think I use the miroslav ensemble woodwinds about 4% of the time.

If I had to beef up a particular section I would rather use different samples of the same instruments rather than use the sampled ensemble versions. This applies only to woodwinds.

I tend to think that the best approach is to layer them yourself just like a string section.

Winds can play interlocked, unison, octave, etc. I believe you get more expression and realism by playing the parts in one at a time.

Go Back to forum