• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Composing in the senior years.....

Share/Bookmark

Composing in the senior years.....

Hi All,

Looking at the amazing progress of sample libraries and tools the past few years, I can\'t help but be optimistic and excited about the future. Life will surely be wonderful except I will be...well, older.

What will happen when we get old? Will our composing and creativity get better or worse? Or maybe it will stay the same, just slower and more time required to produce?

I would very much appreciating your thoughts/experiences/observations on this topic. Maybe not so much pointing to exceptional cases like Bernstien or Copland - but more what you\'ve personally seen happen to the average working or serious hobby composer.

Thanks,

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Composing in the senior years.....

Hi Joanne,

The artist who designed my landscape is 86. Probably he is one of the most childlike and creative people I have ever met. I\'m keeping my fingers crossed.

I think that John Williams can still write some amazing work. It\'s almost like he is reaching new heights with the Harry Potter scores.

In my opinion it\'s different for every person. In my own experience, both my parents are professional visual artists and are both getting up there in years. My dad Mark Clarke has narrowed his focus to Oregon landscapes mainly, but his daily output has increased over the years. My mom Margaret Coe is way more experimental and seems to take about the same time with her work as she always has.

FWIW

Oops...double post!

Originally posted by Joanne Babunovic:

What will happen when we get old? Will our composing and creativity get better or worse? Or maybe it will stay the same, just slower and more time required to produce?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Not sure about the speed, but it seems with a lot of composers, quality goes up. Take Witold Lutoslawski, wrote wrote his best works late in life (like the 4th symphony... at like 80 years old).

John

Hi Joanne, I think that as you get older you have more life experience to draw upon, a wider palette to draw from, and more perspective to apply to your creative projects. Kind of similiar to some of the best novelists, these guys are often in their 60\'s.

I\'m sure not everyone would agree, I guess you have to weigh the \"passion of youth\" against the \"wisdom of age\"

Gee, I sound like an old fart even talking like this.... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Stravinsky was a fairly \"mature\" when he wrote his Symp. of Psalms .Monumetal. Rich P [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You are all so optimistic. Maybe some classical composers age well artistically but I\'m afraid most, let\'s say, pop artists don\'t. There seems to be always a momentarely peak in their lives, a creative high, wherein they write, compose or produce their best work. Take any band or artist that has been around here awhile and chances are slim that their latest or later work is as good as any of the work they\'ve written in between. There are so many examples in music history that our future looks grim. Even with orchestral music, where you can study and learn enough to live 3 lifes, the music may mature but your best tunes are already gone.

Boy, can you handle that?

------------
    Alex Cremers

As I so far haven´t reached my peak, I´m very optimistic [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

At my peak, I hope to make so much cash, that it won´t be so bad to go back down again.

After my peak, I will release two or three best-ofs, a couple of modern remixes and then celebrate an outrageous revival.
    Think this will keep me safe, until I find those old unreleased materials of mine... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast