• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Whimsical Dance

Share/Bookmark

A Whimsical Dance

Back in April I believe it was, there was a posting for a composition competition. The stipulation was the competition would begin on June 11 and end two weeks later on June 25. That's all the time you had to compose your piece. You wouldn't know the particulars until Monday morning the 11th. Then you had two weeks to finish. The stipulations were the piece had to be 4-6 minutes long, in at least 2 different dance styles and written for oboe, violin, cello and piano. It also had to be submitted anonymously. Notification would be on June 6.

It was quite the challenge and it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately I did not place in the final top three in my region. Nevertheless, I loved writing the piece. I even had my daughter play the oboe part on her flute here at the retirement facility I work at, and the residents loved it best. It was also the most challenging piece she's played on her flute in years. I have to say one more thing. I had help along the way. Both my daughter and Randy Bowser helped critique this piece before I submitted it, making several helpful suggestions. I really appreciated both of their inputs.

This music is dedicated to Aaron Copland, who's ballets so inspired me. Enjoy!

http://soundcloud.com/serenity-music...himsical-dance
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Re: A Whimsical Dance

Well, it's about time you posted this, Gary. MMmmm yes, really enjoyed hearing it again just now. It's magical, light, smart music. You can hold this one dear to your heart as an inspired piece composed under some very restricting circumstances.

Contests - go figure. Well, there Is no figuring how "winners" are selected. I suppose it would be interesting to hear what the finalists are like, but I can guarantee they won't have any edge on quality. For whatever impossible to fathom reasons, the judges went their way. Pointless to speculate really.

That's cool that anything I said helped you out, Gary, but you did it all, this music is all you - I'm just glad any notes I gave didn't interfere.

Super - thanks for brightening up the Festival, Gary.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Well, it's about time you posted this, Gary. MMmmm yes, really enjoyed hearing it again just now. It's magical, light, smart music. You can hold this one dear to your heart as an inspired piece composed under some very restricting circumstances. Super - thanks for brightening up the Festival, Gary.

Randy

OKAY, I have finally had the chance to get back here! Thank you once again Randy for your insight and for your kind words. I always look forward to your thoughts and wisdom!

Here's my take on the competition I entered. There were a total of 367 entrees for this competition. The music was to be submitted anonymously. Three pieces would be picked from each of the five regions that divided the U.S. for a total of fifteen finalists. As I mentioned before, I was not one of the finalists. I have not won a competition YET, however that will not deter me from entering future composition competitions.

My concern about this competition and perhaps others which I expressed to Randy is, in spite of the anonymity in which these pieces were submitted, I have to wonder if the winners' backgrounds were also taken into consideration when picking the finalists. After submitting our pieces, we were notified that they will "begin the work of blind judging by teams of musicians studying the scores, listening to MP3s, and reading through the top contenders." I have looked at all of the finalists and they all have extensive backgrounds, with PHD's, most in performing symphony orchestras and teaching at universities. I just have a Bachelors degree (which I'm very proud of). I have taught, directed and written music for just about every kind of music group imaginable for over 30 years, but never like those who won. However, as Randy says, it's pointless to speculate. I am very satisfied with the result of the piece I wrote. I'll probably just have to be a bit more selective when it comes to entering composition competitions.

I am still going to keep composing, arranging and directing. And I am working to find a quartet to perform A Whimsical Dance for sometime in the fall. I hope our Garritan gang will enjoy listening to this piece. I look forward to any feedback you all may have.

Skol!!!

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

is there ANY place other than Soundcloud you could host this?
    I'd really love to listen to it, but no matter what I do, nothing will make music hosted there playback for me.

I just uploaded it to Box.com. Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Warning: There are lots of parallel 5ths. That was intentional.

https://www.box.com/s/9bd32f09ca43ad384f7f

I can definitely hear the Copland influence on this, Gary.

Very well put together -- good contrast, engaging and well conducted.

A pleasure!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

thank-you so much for putting it up at Box.net.

LOL at parallel 5ths.

I really REALLY like the flowing feel of the opening section.
    The slightly off-kilter accents are fun. It's VERY joyful.

The slow section I... like less. It feels a tiny bit too "pop-ish" to me. Of course, that's a personal preference thing.

The return to a faster rhythm is fun. I like the almost-but-not-quite minimalist ideas. It has a strongly "blue-grass" feel to it. You mention Copland, but other than a vague family-relationship in the opening and (returning) closing sections I don't really hear all that much Copland.

You should actually be quite proud. There's a unique tone to this piece that clearly identifies a single composer, rather than someone who "sounds like".

I think some things that MIGHT enhance the work would be more double-stops in the violin and cello, maybe some spiccatto dancing across the strings, harmonics, a few more typically string-associated technical details.

MAYBE the piano part could use a tiny bit of work. Without seeing the score, I can't make any concrete suggestions, but I did get a bit of a sense of sameness in the register, texture, and technical approach.

Regarding the competition and not placing: put it this way, (not that I'm great or anything) but in 45 years as a pianist and a lesser number of years as a composer, I have NEVER placed in ANY competition. I put considerably less faith in the actual fairness of competitions these days.

I lost the same competition you did, Gary! My commiserations!

Of course, losing doesn't mean the composition is unworthy, by any means. I enjoyed your work very much, and I think it would find a welcome on any chamber music recital. Best of luck to you!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Hello Gary, I really enjoyed this one. I agree with what others have said, I really enjoy the flowing feel of this one. Flowing music is one of my favorite genres (whether others actually consider it a genre or not is irrelevant )

I wouldn't say I have entered many composition contests/competitions, in fact, I would go as far to say that I have entered maybe two or three contests (excluding the Orchestration Challenge and Halloween contests here on the forums). Though, I can't imagine, no matter how much anonymity you try to place in a competition, that there must be a good amount of subjectivity in the results. From what it sounds like, the creators of this competition had a very specific idea of what they wanted the music to sound like, so with that predetermined expectation, they could have easily already been biased toward some sort of imaginary piece they created in their minds while concocting the competition.

Either way, great piece, great listen, thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum