• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to avoid PC noise?

How to avoid PC noise?

I have two computers in my setup, one for sonar and one dedicatded giga machine.. With two computers in the room, there is a lot of noise involved, and no way to record vocals or guitars in the same (small) room.. Is there any kind of affordable way to get the noise down? I\'m thinking something like the \"IsoRaxx\" posted at prorec.com. That solution is way too expensive for me, though.. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Any thoughts appreciated!

Re: How to avoid PC noise?

What I did (same set up as far as 2 PC\'s)was purchase extension cables for everything... Mouse, keyboard, Monitor... and was able to place the PC\'s in a small closet in the same room.

I also installed a small cooling fan for the PC\'s. The closet was sound treated with sound tiles.

Now, of course, there is the \"talking the wife into it\" factor but other then that... it was a breeze [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I agree with Francis. That is by far the cheapest and most effective way to deal with computer noise. My studio desk is right next to a door to the next room (my office). With the computer in there, it is completely silent in the studio (pretty noisy in my office though [smile]).

-- Martin

Here\'s a post I made to the Tascam forum on the subject. It\'s impractical for me to move my PC to another room, so went with the quiet PC approach.

The one change that I would make would be to go with the Thermalright SLK series heatsinks. They\'re top rated at Silent PC Review:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&re q=viewarticle&artid=30&page=1

I suffered the same problem, I ordered a new case at http://www.antec-inc.com. Don\'t have it yet but I am hoping it helps my problem. I also built an enclosure that baffles the sound kind of an insolated box with a door under a wing in my desk with vents and a silent cooling fan to keep the computer in. Just enclosing it did wonders for my old noisy case and I havent5 had any heat problems so I\'m hopeing with the new case I\'ll have a very quiet room. I should get the case in a couple days so I\'ll post back how it goes.

Go Back to forum